Learning Single Hand Skagit

JGO

Reaction score
I got out today for my first attempt at single hand skagit casting with a 200 grain OPST commando smooth line and 5.5 foot 40 grain commando sink tip on my 590 Sage XP - not fishing, really, just practice casting at a local lake. I find this style of casting to be amazing. I could cast weighted and wind resistant flys with very little effort. When my timing and form was right it seemed as though the rod was really doing most of the work. I need more practice, but at this point my roll cast is sufficient to fish and the cast that I think is called the Perry Poke was not too difficult to execute. However, I could not pull off a decent snap T. In reviewing some videos I think the problem was that I had too much of the shooting head out beyond the rod tip. In the YouTube videos it looks as though some are executing the snap t move with a little more than a rod length of line out. Is this correct?

1A030454-C9E4-4A3C-B718-6A10130CE1EF.jpeg

LOC

Reaction score
So much fun right?

A good place to start is having the head with about a foot of overhang outside your rod tip and go from there.
Don't be afraid to find your own sweet spot and experiment with different lengths of head outside the rod tip.
I will say a little can go a long ways. What I mean by that is you could have a nice smooth load with the head just outside the rod tip.
Then you try hanging two feet of line outside the tip and it casts like crap.

Here's a good beginner video below with a method for easy skagit cast. He calls it a continuous loaded cast.
He is using a two handed rod but you can do the same with a single hand rod adding a haul.

IMO,it's very similar to a Belgian style overhead cast except the line is anchored in the water.

I often use this as my fall back default style cast for skagit or if I really want to scream one out over the water.
You have probably already been there but the series with Ed Ward will be helpful too.

My own personal tip during a practice session. Whenever you make a good cast try making the exact same cast but go even slower....
You'll be surprised how you can get the same distance with half the effort.

Last edited:

JGO

Reaction score
LOC, thank you all for the advice and video suggestion. Last night I took some time to closely watch videos of Ed Ward - who makes this look easy, especially when crossing over to the left side. In some of the videos Ed Ward mentions continuous load in the cast. I can see now that I was making some errors in execution of the snap t. This is somewhat like learning a golf swing. However, this style of casting is so good for large flys that I went ahead and ordered an OPST two-handed rod - 11’6” 8wt. I intend to practice up and then head to the Rhein to cast streamers for Rapfen in the currents along the wing dikes. Should be great fun!

Last edited:

LOC

Reaction score
I went ahead and ordered an OPST two-handed rod - 11’6” 8wt.
Well that didn't take very long! :)
I started out teaching myself how to single hand spey cast just on standard rod and wf line.
I then made a spey rod with a spinning rod by taping over the reel seat and zip tied my fly reel to the bottom of the cork.
I used that to practice two handed switch casts.
When I finally picked up my first two handed rod I had a pretty good head start and feel for anchored casts.
I now own three two handed rods and I've lost count of how many various heads I own in Scandi and Skagit.
BTW I have never paid full price for a line. Spey pages is your friend when it comes down to trying different lines.

Using a two handed rod is so efficient but I see you have already seen the light....16C7F96E-2AFD-49F9-9644-37BBB28C02B3.jpeg

2441B835-B20B-429E-BA3B-88D8EB36DDBE.jpeg
Have fun!

dtaylo1066

Reaction score
You are either floundering around with your casting or just happened to catch one in a total fluke.

Reactions: LOC

fatbillybob

Reaction score
I started dinking with this a year ago now two 2 handlers with eye on third and yes lines get addictive hunting for the holy grail.