Learning to take fish pics by myself!

mtboiler

Reaction score
My friend suggested, after telling me my pics suck, to set my phone on a rock or stump and record a video. you can keep the fish wet for the entire time until you pick it up. so I went social distancing to try it out hoping to catch a photo worthy fish. fortunately caught some fish to practice on. takes seconds and works great.

Capture+_2020-04-06-17-13-17-1.jpg Capture+_2020-04-06-17-17-04-1.jpgCapture+_2020-04-06-17-05-05-1.jpg

Bent Undergrowth

Reaction score
Nice fish!

I typically save the grip and grin photos for times when I have a fishing partner. It’s just a lot of work to net the fish, set up the camera, and try to get focus, lighting and everything right. I’ll generally just snap a few quick pics of the fish in the net or in the water. Less stress on me and the fish!

That being said, I did pick up one of these little tripods on amazon for about $6 just in case the situation arises.

It’s pretty lightweight, cheap, and easy to set up.

Cheers.

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
I'll admit to being a bit of a luddite and carry a waterproof little camera. I also fish alone unless hired by someone and so have mastered the one hand fish picture.

I know who's hand that is and what it was holding but sometimes I get the whole thing.

Sometimes I'm not sure that I would have better images even if there would have been help.

You can probably do the same with a phone, camera with one hand and fish with the other. The net makes it simple for me and I got used to seeing it in the images.

:)

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks Andy :)

I was thinking that I should have said that I wasn't trying to be the show off by posting those........... My problem with seeing myself in the pictures is that I always look like some dork holding a fish. I've never seen one with me in it that I liked. To go further on reasons for doing them the way I do it's my size, physical size I mean. I'm so large a person that even a 30 pound salmon looks like a 15 with me holding it so I had to find a way to highlight the fish and diminish my presence down to only a hand or wrist.

Here is a perfect example of me trying to do a hold the fish photo with a nice rainbow trout.

There were people with me when that fiasco went down but that led to my having a lot of shots like this one...

Boy oh boy I remember that one, that was a big boy! That fly is one of those 4" long Bunny Fur Sculpins I used to swear by. It's just so much easier for both the fish and myself when I keep it simple.

That was just a quick scoop it from the net shot but anyone viewing can get the idea that it was a nice trout. Trying to put my camera somewhere so I could strike a pose would just put me (the dorky guy) back in the pictures. I hope you'll give the low level fish in the water shots a whirl and that you like the results as much as I do :)

robtmitchell

Reaction score
Thanks Andy :)

I was thinking that I should have said that I wasn't trying to be the show off by posting those........... My problem with seeing myself in the pictures is that I always look like some dork holding a fish. I've never seen one with me in it that I liked. To go further on reasons for doing them the way I do it's my size, physical size I mean. I'm so large a person that even a 30 pound salmon looks like a 15 with me holding it so I had to find a way to highlight the fish and diminish my presence down to only a hand or wrist.

Here is a perfect example of me trying to do a hold the fish photo with a nice rainbow trout.

There were people with me when that fiasco went down but that led to my having a lot of shots like this one...

Boy oh boy I remember that one, that was a big boy! That fly is one of those 4" long Bunny Fur Sculpins I used to swear by. It's just so much easier for both the fish and myself when I keep it simple.

That was just a quick scoop it from the net shot but anyone viewing can get the idea that it was a nice trout. Trying to put my camera somewhere so I could strike a pose would just put me (the dorky guy) back in the pictures. I hope you'll give the low level fish in the water shots a whirl and that you like the results as much as I do :)

I use the same technique as Ard and our pictures look similar. I mostly float tube fish solo and just try to get a picture of the whole fish just above the water line or 2/3 above the water line. The bigger the fish the harder it is and I botched a few large ones and got a splash picture as it was released.
If I have a net I take a couple in the net before I unhook the fly but those pictures suck in my mind.
I really like the under water pictures people are doing of just the fish and would like to master that.

Rob

triggw

Reaction score
Skip the pic. Just put 'em back. Having to have a picture is really just one step removed from bonking the thing and taking it home to show people what you caught.