Leech pattern materials

222remx4

Reaction score
Looking for info /opinions on what leech pattern materials work best ?

Rabbit fur , mohair others ? Weighted not weighted ?

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Rabbit strips....not too much weight ....or no weight at all with a sinking line....
Here's the simplest fly I know.....tie some in olive,white and black....you should catch some fish with them:rolleyes:

bigjim5589

Reaction score
"Best" is one of those things that's usually a matter of opinion & personal choice. There are several good materials used for leech patterns including what you've mentioned, plus such materials as marabou or ostrich herl.

I tend to go with rabbit strips or ostrich herl most often, and usually try to keep the flies simple.

Here's a Clouser Minnow style fly I like very much and have primarily used it for chasing SM bass in streams & rivers. It's nothing but black ostrich herl fibers tied very full, and a few strands of copper, bronze or black Flashabou added in.
Choose barbell eye size that you deem best for whatever conditions you face. I don't usually tie these real heavy, but will tie them rather big, like on a 1/0 or 2/0 straight shank plastic worm hook.

If you're not sure about the materials, try them all & experiment with them to see what you like "best". :D

Last edited:

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think this is going to depend on how long you want the finished leach to be. We have them here about 6" when they are swimming but I get by with 4" bunny strips. With bunny fur the longer they are the heavier so if you want long ones you will need to consider weight.

jaybo41

Reaction score
I'm another one that likes simi seal leeches. A little of that material on the body goes a long way. I tie a marabou tail on mine.

Bead chain eyed leech is another good one. marabou & flash on the tail, mohair yarn body and you guessed it, bead chain eyes.

Ross Mueller's Grey Leech is a great pattern. That's all marabou, though I like some flash mixed in on the tail.

Last but not least, a simple bunny leech. Dubbed body and a bead. Simple tie and very effective.

It's good to have some with lead or lead alternative wraps in the underbody that way you can fish with a clean line when you swing them up.

J

james w 3 3

Looking for info /opinions on what leech pattern materials work best ?

Rabbit fur , mohair others ? Weighted not weighted ?
I'm a huge believer in natural movement in stillwater.
To that end, other than a recent dalliance with Finnish raccoon, I use nothing but marabou. Especially the thinnest spindly barbs, not the fat fluffy ones.
Tied unweighted the movement is amazingly life like.
There's no limit to how small you can tie them too. In the smallest version at 1" long they imitate damsel nymphs remarkably well if you match the color.

If you go to my gallery james w 3 3 you'll see a photo. Adding one here from my iPad is not workable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I think this is going to depend on how long you want the finished leach to be.
Back when my boy was little, I remember bringing him to the local lake to play.
When he got out of the water, he had gobs of tiny leeches in between his toes, and as that guy who's in the news every morning would say.
"It was disgusting !"

Fast forward to about 10 years ago.
I was fishing with a guy at his camp on a trout pond in VT. and he was saying that the top fly in the pond was a black mini muddler... about a size 14.
He seemed to be right but I didn't yet put it together.

Fast forward again to 3 years ago.
While researching a lake that we planed on float tubing, I read a post by a vacationer who said that they were never going to rent a cottage on this particular lake again.
It seems that there were so many leeches that the kids couldn't go in the water without being attacked.

Well we did fish there and :secret: along the shoreline you could see the leeches that caused this lady's problem.

And they were tiny... about a size 14
(I cleaned up) ;)

jjparson

Reaction score
I really like the simi seal material for still water. I also tie mine with a marabou tail and a little flash.

For moving water I prefer rabbit.

lonm

Reaction score
I tied a few of these for a pike/walleye trip
One is bunny hair and one in EP fiber

comeonavs

Reaction score
So i tie mine a lot like Jasons on page one or tie a small Barr Slumpbuster to imitate a leech

Recently went on a float trip on N Platte out of Casper and was excited to use my flies vs the guides. He humored me and tied mine on instead of his. He started commenting about my leach and says "isn't that a lot of extra work for nothing. I said what do you mean and he handed me his leech pattern.

Literally he lashed about a 3" black zonked strip on the hook by the eye. Essentially get the thread started, take 6 or 7 tight turns on the rabbit and whip finish. He then says if you want a hot head leach use orange thread.

Moral to the story, sometimes simple works too :D , I guess I learned something that day

jjc155

Reaction score
My fav trout bead head leech is just a rabbit strip for the tail, then wrap the strip for the body/head and tie it off. Sometimes a piece of flash down either side.

My fav Smallie leech is a Schultzy's red eye leech by Mike Schultz. I tie a single and double hook version that Mike taught me.

Schultzy’s Red Eyed Leech – Mike Schultz | FrankenFly

I'm sure you can find a youtube for the red eye too.

J-

Joey Bagels

Reaction score
Hard to beat simple marabou tail and a couple of winds of mohair. Rabbit strip too. I like simple ties so I can fill my boxes and spend time fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

runningfish

Reaction score
I am using Pine Squirrel and Rabbit strips with or without the tungsten bead head in various sizes. They are very easy to tie, even I can do it.
P.S. they are the only flies that I can tie.

pszy22

Reaction score
This doesn't look like much, but it sure is effective. This fly became Carl Richards', author of Selective Trout, go to fly. He use to fish right in front of my cottage -

Chicago Leech

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
This doesn't look like much, but it sure is effective. This fly became Carl Richards', author of Selective Trout, go to fly. He use to fish right in front of my cottage -

Chicago Leech
That is an interesting looking pattern, thanks for posting, I'll tie up a few and give them a try this summer.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
That looks very similar to simi-seal leech pattern. I'm sure it works well. And this thread reminds me I have a few nice looking pine squirrel leeches I received from forum swaps. I need to get them wet.

runningfish

Reaction score
I don't have mohair...can I replace it with crystal dubbing instead?
anyone remember Teeny nymph? I tied a few but so far fish-less.