Lees Ferry or San Juan?

cvd

Reaction score
I’ll be driving from So. Calif to southern CO (Pagosa) in July. Can set aside one day for fishing; considering Lee’s Ferry (never been there) or San Juan (have drifted w Fisheads guides in the past). Is Lee’s Ferry still a bucket list destination to drift? If so, guide recommendation? Otherwise, I’ll book a day at Fisheads.
Thx

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
Can't make a suggestion but when you're in Pagosa get in touch. Be happy to show you around.

myt1

Reaction score
I believe Lees Ferry is good if you go upstream with a guide.

I don't believe the walk-in section is very good.

I was at the SJ a few weeks ago and the crowds were so bad I ended up leaving early. When the weather cooperated, and before the crowds, the fishing was very good.

swfl daz

Reaction score
If you're going to LF, contact Terry Gunn. Haven't been up there since I lived in AZ years ago but had some great trips with him and wouldn't hesitate to recommend LFA.

Reactions: cvd

jjcm

Reaction score
Between late last year and early this year, I made trips to both. They are both awesome. I walked and waded each. I don't think one can go wrong with either place. To me, the scenery at Lee's Ferry was something really marvelous, maybe a subjective factor, but the Glen Canyon area was something special to see.

Reactions: cvd

cvd

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. After checking July weather averages, decided Lees Ferry visit will wait for another trip (during cooler season). Will drive straight through to Pagosa this time.

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
No. None at all. Well, there is Bikini Row but that's it. Oh, and the headwaters of the San Juan. So, nothing to see here😎

cvd

Reaction score
Upper San Juan runs right thru town. My friend, who moved there about a year ago, has sent me pics of decent browns caught from the back parking lot of the the local Malt Shop. I think there well be plenty to keep us interested.

jeep.ster

jeepster
Reaction score
Durango has a good bikini hatch too. Are we off on the wrong track again?

Anyway I'm headed to the juan. It's been 23 months since my last trip there. They wouldn't let me in last year. I'm fishing on my way to meet my buddy mka in so co. Abes has always been my stop off point to co and beyond. Fish a couple days there and head on. After fishing the juan a couple days a size 16 hook is a pleasure to fish with. lol. Well I have decided to stay in beautiful bloomfield 25 minutes away. It's not going to be the same.