Lees Ferry or San Juan?

jeep.ster

jeepster
Reaction score
Yeah well I would fish where you do too but I cant walk that far . They were selling gas the other day for 1.99 cash money . I filled up everything I had .
I'm disabled. I walk 100 yards at a time, stop, and do it again as far as I can go up to about 2 miles. I get what you're doing. That's why I lake fish some. You should try that. I'm going for big browns on the rez this fall.

sasquatch7

Reaction score
I'm disabled. I walk 100 yards at a time, stop, and do it again as far as I can go up to about 2 miles. I get what you're doing. That's why I lake fish some. You should try that. I'm going for big browns on the rez this fall.
Trust me you are able to walk much farther at a time than I am . I'm good for 100 feet at a time and after doing that a couple of times I am on the ground begging for help .

jwbowen
Abes is not open , they were there to get rid of gas only . It was Sunday .

el jefe

Reaction score
Trust me you are able to walk much farther at a time than I am . I'm good for 100 feet at a time and after doing that a couple of times I am on the ground begging for help .

jwbowen
Abes is not open , they were there to get rid of gas only . It was Sunday .
That's disappointing about Abe's. I was going to head up there next week. Guess I'll need to look for other lodging. Maybe I'll just sleep in the back of the Suburban, which come to think of it isn't that much different from Abe's.

Acheron

Reaction score
Abe's is for sale. Might take a while to sell...
I contemplated it :) Seriously, I did!

That WaterMaster could put you into some big trout on lakes, minimal walking needed!

Last edited:

sasquatch7

Reaction score
That WaterMaster could put you into some big trout on lakes, minimal walking needed!
I went to my doctor yesterday he gave me an inhaler for my COPD and I have a procedure on Friday for my lower back . Hopefully the two will help me out some . As far as lake fishing I'm not big on that and dont really know how to fly fish for trout on a lake so I guess its time to head on over to YouTube University . Thx .

jeep.ster

jeepster
Reaction score
That's disappointing about Abe's. I was going to head up there next week. Guess I'll need to look for other lodging. Maybe I'll just sleep in the back of the Suburban, which come to think of it isn't that much different from Abe's.
Bloomfield best western is my new abes. As is a lot of fly anglers I noticed. You would think that another hotel would be happy that they're getting abes business but the employees at this bw are saddened about abes and concerned about the chavez family. I'll be staying there again. The best thing about staying there is a lotta a burger is right across the street with their proprietary hatch green chili. Make mine new mex style please.

cvd

Reaction score
CVD and I did fish together for a morning. Tough conditions due to tons of rain clouding up the water but it was great to meet a member and a couple of his friends.
Thank you for taking time to show us around (and for coaching my rookie buddy). Your hospitality was appreciated. We hiked to higher waters a day later (as your recommended) and found better conditions. Caught a couple 10" cutthroats on a 6 ft, 2 wt. Not bad for small stream fishing in very pretty surroundings.

el jefe

Reaction score
Bloomfield best western is my new abes. As is a lot of fly anglers I noticed. You would think that another hotel would be happy that they're getting abes business but the employees at this bw are saddened about abes and concerned about the chavez family. I'll be staying there again. The best thing about staying there is a lotta a burger is right across the street with their proprietary hatch green chili. Make mine new mex style please.
Lotacombo, double-meat, double-cheese, double-green, seasoned fries, and an x-large vanilla DP. Now I'm hungry. Guess I'll go there for lunch.

I am a bit concerned for the Chavez family, too. I was thinking of the BW in Bloomfield, as well. Last time I went overnight, I stayed at a Marriott property in Farmington, because I had points and they had rooms (pandemic-restricted occupancy was a problem last time I overnighted there). Nicer accommodations than one usually gets at the San Juan, but a fair piece away, too.

An inoperable Abe's makes the San Juan life a little less convenient--not a bad thing for some, I realize--there is one less fly shop, the largest lodging property down, one campground closed, potentially a large boat and RV storage facility down, the only true convenience store gone, a restaurant down, and no gas stations at all in the area (maybe Navajo Lake has one?). That's a boatload of services withdrawn from an area that did not have many to start. As for the cell tower in the parking lot there, I think that thing was a fake; couldn't get a signal standing there looking up at it.

sasquatch7

Reaction score
When I talked to his son ( I assume } he wasn't really all that concerned about shutting down and selling . He was more concerned about the way things are going with the defund the police movement and other issues that are affecting our country . He's a very nice guy and was very excited about a Coues Whitetail hunt he has coming up around the Tucson area soon . As far as camping there is dispersed BLM land that I stayed on and many more spots available close by .

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
When I talked to his son ( I assume } he wasn't really all that concerned about shutting down and selling . He was more concerned about the way things are going with the defund the police movement and other issues that are affecting our country . He's a very nice guy and was very excited about a Coues Whitetail hunt he has coming up around the Tucson area soon . As far as camping there is dispersed BLM land that I stayed on and many more spots available close by .
Miles and miles of dispersed blm camping if you don't mind the hum of gas wells.

flafly14

Reaction score
I just got back from San Juan and it was a cluster f... ! Picture 30 boats going round in circles one after the other no more than 40 feet from each other and sometimes close enough to touch the guy in the other boat . It looked like a Merry-Go-Round . Then there were another five or six boats anchored and this was all just at the Texas Hole . In addition to that there was at least three 18-22 ' rafts with families in them getting in the way with their spawn playing in the water at the ramp . I'm done , never again going to the " JUAN " period . Lees Ferry is just as bad with the float trips out of the dam and down the Colorado with 25 guide boats fighting everyone else for the limited amount of wadable water up rive , mainly at the 8 through 12 mile mark and 50 others that haven't a clue what they are doing . Only good thing about Lees is the walk in because people are lazy and it's not all that crowded . Thats my take on it , YMMV .
That sounds pretty grim.

sasquatch7

Reaction score
That sounds pretty grim.
Its a circus . I just got back from an archery deer hunt with a buddy and every time I turned around there was a friggin UTV stopping , running down the road or cruising thru an area where they aren't suppose to be . Thats a circus too . I was successful in what I wanted to do which was shoot an arrow a foot in the ground in front of a buck and say gotcha . I dont like killing with a bow as I find it barbaric and cruel but I dont tell others what to do . You might say I practice C&R bow hunting too .

el jefe

Reaction score
When I was a young boy and a teenager, I kept every fish I caught (bait and spin fishing). I thought that's what you did. I learned from my grandpa, and it was a subsistence thing for him. What you didn't eat right away you froze, for later consumption. It never occurred to me not to keep a fish.

Fast forward a few decades, and I get back into fishing with a fly rod, a new endeavor for me. I take some casting lessons, and C&R is pounded into me. And I like it!! As I consider my past, I realize I didn't like eating fish, or cleaning them. So C&R makes me excited about going to catch fish.

I don't keep fish I catch, because I won't eat them, and I don't know anyone to give them to who actually wants them. I don't keep fish because I don't want to. It has nothing to do with ethics, morals, the climate, or anything else. I just don't want to. Full stop.

Now, as for delicate fish, I've seen the footage where stocked trout are dropped from airplanes. I don't think fish and wild animals are nearly as delicate as we think. They live a much tougher existence than we do. I typically get a fish in and gone pretty quickly, because I want to get my fly back in the water and catch the next one. For me, it's the thrill of the take. I still can't believe it when a fish takes my fly. I'm like a kid at Christmas with every strike.

To sum up, I practice ethical behavior, but for non-ethical reasons.

EDIT: Sorry, this was meant to be posted in another thread. I am suffering from premature post-ulation.

Last edited:

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
The Juan below the tank is always a mess of people in the summer. Especially on the weekends. Limited mobility certainly doesn't help.
I only go down there in the winter and during the week. It's just over an hour away for me so I have that luxury. A weekend in peak season there is like going to Wal Mart on Black Friday. No thanks.

It is kind of sad to see Abe's closed. The end of an era.

Last edited:

jeep.ster

jeepster
Reaction score
I've been on the sticks in that merry go round a number of times and as long as there's consistency in the start of each boat's drift things work out. But if one inexperienced rower decides to slow or drop anchor with several more boats in the drift then it's a clusterflounder and the stack gets long. Show up at lees ferry with 40 boats on the water and it's the same thing. I only go on weekdays.

flafly14

Reaction score
Its a circus . I just got back from an archery deer hunt with a buddy and every time I turned around there was a friggin UTV stopping , running down the road or cruising thru an area where they aren't suppose to be . Thats a circus too . I was successful in what I wanted to do which was shoot an arrow a foot in the ground in front of a buck and say gotcha . I dont like killing with a bow as I find it barbaric and cruel but I dont tell others what to do . You might say I practice C&R bow hunting too .
Ya. I wish I could say I've never experienced the joy getting all excited about calling in a big bull elk that just turned out to be another bow hunter.