Let's Build a Rod Together

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
i hope you dont mind me butting in and would it be ok if i post questions if i'm not sure of something
many thanks
vince
I think that was the whole idea of the thread. By all means, jump in.

If you guys think the video will help I'll start on it today. I can post it on you tube or vimeo. Is there a way to post video directly to the forum?

dmwphoto

Reaction score
once they are on youtube it is easy to embed them in a thread. If you get one up on youtube let me know and I will do some screen shot instructions on how.

Auntie Em

Reaction score
OK ... here ya go. I had a little time before a doctors appointment, so I got playing in the Sevier site and J.Stockard (Sevier didn't carry a couple things).
BASIC 9' 6/7 weight 4 piece build.
9'6/7 wt 4 pc blank Tiger Eye 38.00
chrome #8 tip top sz 4.0 .76
4 #2 chrome guides @.34 1.36
3 #3 chrome guides @.34 1.02
1 #4 chrome guide @.34 .34
1 #10 stripping guide (J.Stockard).59
1 #12 stripping guide (J.Stockard).59
7 1/2" single Wells cork grip 7.50 (inletted)
Densiwood walnut/chrome seat 9.26 (up or down locking)
thread (J.Stockard) 2.25
hook keeper (J.Stockard) .39
winding check (J.Stockard) .35
wrap finish (J.Stockard) 11.85
rod bond (J.Stockard) 13.55

total 87.81

Most serviceable, good looking rod. Later I'll do a "fancy up" on the same blank! That'll blow your socks off!!
Em

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Thanks Auntie Em for your list.

Those of you who are not confident in their wrapping abilities here is what to do. Get a 3/8"x30" wooden dowel that you can get at any hardware store. Use that to practice on and wrap your brains out. In no time you will see improvement.

Frank

HuronRiverDan

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Thanks Auntie Em for your list.

Those of you who are not confident in their wrapping abilities here is what to do. Get a 3/8"x30" wooden dowel that you can get at any hardware store. Use that to practice on and wrap your brains out. In no time you will see improvement.

Frank
Great idea Frank!...

Dan

Auntie Em

Reaction score
A little fun for you and a little bling for the rod!

Same basic 9' 4 pc 6/7 wt Tiger Eye 38.00
Add TICH guides, same # only 2.95 ea 23.60
Add TICH tip top same size 4.10
Add Struble Agate stripping guide 32.00
Add second TICH stripping guide 7.25
Add standard measured winding check 6.95
Add ring and saddle hook tender 2.95
Add Struble cork 40.95
Add Struble up locking nickel-silver
burl madrone wood insert reel seat 51.44
Keep the finish 11.85
Keep the rod bond 13.55
keep basic thread 2.25
Add metallic thread for trim 2.75

Total : 237.64
Add hand rod wrapper 79.95
Add drying motor 89.95

Total : 407.54

And ... unless you know, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference looking at the finished product!

mojo

Reaction score
OK ... here ya go. I had a little time before a doctors appointment, so I got playing in the Sevier site and J.Stockard (Sevier didn't carry a couple things).
BASIC 9' 6/7 weight 4 piece build.
9'6/7 wt 4 pc blank Tiger Eye 38.00
chrome #8 tip top sz 4.0 .76
4 #2 chrome guides @.34 1.36
3 #3 chrome guides @.34 1.02
1 #4 chrome guide @.34 .34
1 #10 stripping guide (J.Stockard).59
1 #12 stripping guide (J.Stockard).59
7 1/2" single Wells cork grip 7.50 (inletted)
Densiwood walnut/chrome seat 9.26 (up or down locking)
thread (J.Stockard) 2.25
hook keeper (J.Stockard) .39
winding check (J.Stockard) .35
wrap finish (J.Stockard) 11.85
rod bond (J.Stockard) 13.55

total 87.81

Most serviceable, good looking rod. Later I'll do a "fancy up" on the same blank! That'll blow your socks off!!
Em
It doesn't get better than this. Thanks Auntie. I've been way busy the last two weeks with work and working on the house. I know I was supposed to carry this, but I've handed the ball (rod) to you. I'll be in the background every now and then.
This is the basic no frills build here at $87. But with some feathers, cp and imagination, it'll dress it up for next to nothing.
The other one that Betty posted at a couple hunnert with all the bling is classic too. There's more goodies for fly rods than there is chrome for Harley's.

dorian.ducker

Reaction score
OK everyone....can anyone get me a 10 foot, 3 or 4 weight, 4 (or5) piece blank? I would love to build a rod like this for high stick nymphing, but can't find any blanks. Don't want to pay for a Z Axis either, I want something budget but worth owning.

Auntie Em

Reaction score
Hook and Hackle (Hookhack.com) shows a 10'4" 4 weight for $130, or in kit form (got everything to build the rod) for a bit more ($189.75). US made blank, perfect for nymphing, XG series.

Auntie Em

Reaction score
OK you guys .... are we gunna do this or just talk about it?? [poke]

Trout season is just around the corner!!!! You all ready??? :thumbsupu

mojo

Reaction score
Auntie, we should have the builders post pictures of the builds. BTW, I've been corresponding with Joel Lemke and I have a buckeye burled insert with aluminum black nickel hardware coming for the 2w TXL I'm building for our TU Chapter Fly Fishing and Tying Expo at the end of March.
This one is a Sage 7'10" 3 pc. 2w TXL to be raffled off March 27th.
Snake Brand Guides and tip top, Mildrum stripper. Olive silk thread with no color preserver. (I haven't decided what to use yet for tipping or a contrasting color.) Thinking about using jungle "caulk" for witness marks.

Auntie Em

Reaction score
mojo,
That is one incredible reel seat!!
I'm putting a Lemke on a Lamiglass that I got yesterday. Looks like it'll be awful pretty when it's done!!

dorian.ducker

Reaction score
So....ordered my blank a couple days age. Winston BIIx 4wt. 4 piece 9ft. I need to check on exactly what components I have sitting out in my garage, I ordered some a year ago to wrap a 4 wt. that I ended up buying instead! REC snake guides, tip top, decent stuff. To be honest I am scared to DEATH to do this....wrapping a nice rod like a Winston on your first time probably isn't the best idea, but I tend to do pretty well with detail work, plus if I take my time that will help. Not to mention the amazing resource that this board is!!

Question: Other than taste and tradition ;), is there a reason you couldn't take fine Mylar and attach (super glue) it as borders on your wraps and coat over them? I don't think I've ever seen that before and think it is a neat idea to entertain. I'm thinking a very fine Pearlescent mylar accent might look pretty good.

mojo

Reaction score
So....ordered my blank a couple days age. Winston BIIx 4wt. 4 piece 9ft. I need to check on exactly what components I have sitting out in my garage, I ordered some a year ago to wrap a 4 wt. that I ended up buying instead! REC snake guides, tip top, decent stuff. To be honest I am scared to DEATH to do this....wrapping a nice rod like a Winston on your first time probably isn't the best idea, but I tend to do pretty well with detail work, plus if I take my time that will help. Not to mention the amazing resource that this board is!!

Question: Other than taste and tradition ;), is there a reason you couldn't take fine Mylar and attach (super glue) it as borders on your wraps and coat over them? I don't think I've ever seen that before and think it is a neat idea to entertain. I'm thinking a very fine Pearlescent mylar accent might look pretty good.
I do it (with metallics and single wraps), and I know a lot of others do it. But don't tell anyone or I'll have to kill ya.

---------- Post added at 07:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 PM ----------

mojo,
That is one incredible reel seat!!
I'm putting a Lemke on a Lamiglass that I got yesterday. Looks like it'll be awful pretty when it's done!!
Funny, we haven't seen any pictures of it yet?

Auntie Em

Reaction score
Zheese! Here ya go ... some assembly required!!

Lamiglas 7'3#, Lemke reel, seat cigar grip, agate stripping guide, olive thread

mojo

Reaction score
Niccccceeee! Are you going to use cp on the thread, and is it silk?

Auntie Em

Reaction score
Not sure yet about the CP. Got to try a couple sacrifice wraps first!! I have it in silk and regular threads ... both. Will see which looks best in process.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I wouldn't try that on your Winston. If you want little thin borders on your wraps I'll talk you through it. Maybe we can go on chat and I'll tell you how. There is thin flat Mylar I have used in cross wraps that works well. and I can show you how to do a 'no glue' one turn trim. Give me a PM letting me know when you can go in the chat room and I'll explain how to do it.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Here is a rod I did with copper colored trim, two turns. The way I do them you can do one turn if you want. When it's done you can turn the rod 360 degrees and not see where it starts and stops. (If you want a pearl trim, Gudebrod makes a size A pearl thread. HT 9003.) If you notice, there are thread inlays in the the windings. I have started the videos to show how all of this was done. I'm not sure if I should post them in this thread or start a new one with the videos. What do you all think?

mojo

Reaction score
Just post them here. It's about ready to run out and we can start a Part Deux for the "Let's Build a Rod Together" thread(s).

[email protected], I almost forgot. That looks damn good Dan. Very clean and elegant