Let's Build a Rod Together

HuronRiverDan

Reaction score
I got the chance to fish with it yesterday, no fish but it really is a dandy to cast. Next week I'm going for Steelies with two of my sons and I'm very much hoping to try it on a live fish...lol

Dan

Auntie Em

Reaction score
Here's mine! Actually built it for my husband, mine is next.

Lamiglas 7'4#, orange banded agate stripping guide, scarlet wraps, cigar grip, downlocking reel seat with myrtle wood insert. I did not use color lock on it. The Threadmaster finish left it the right/true color, and still had the translucency.

Last edited by a moderator:

mojo

Reaction score
Beauty eh! Excellent job Betty. Hope you post it on FFR's or I'll tell them and they'll come and haunt you till you do. You'll (and hubby) will love that blank. I have two. Black Licorice and the yellow 2 pc.
The TXL I'm doing is getting along too. I started wrapping with Clover #95 light Olive, but I'm not quite happy with it. I think I'll go to Fish Tech Saturday and look at some other thread colors.

mojo

Reaction score
Got the TXL 2710 finished. It's going to be raffled off tomorrow (Saturday the 27th) at our Wasatch Fly Tying and Fishing Expo.
Joel Lemke Buckeye Burl reel seat with black nickle hardware [email protected]
Snake brand guides, Mildrum stripper guide
Gudebrod Olive Green thread with black silk tipping.
Struble AAA grade cork inletted fine grip
And the Flygoddess hand made rod sock. [email protected]
Turned out ok i think

patriotfly26

Reaction score
I built my first rod during the winter and I'm amazed by yours. My wraps were nowhere near that nice how did you do it?

Auntie Em

Reaction score
I've been thinking about this since I first answered your question, and want to encourage you to continue working on new rod blanks. Your first rod you build will always be that ... your first rod you build. My first rod was amazing ... an not in a really good way! I, to this day, find things I wish I had done differently, but there's no way I would even consider redoing that rod!! That was my first! And it's still my go to rod for so many applications. Keep up the good work! Wraps will get easier, placement of guides will get easier, finding the spline will get easier. All in due time! If the first one you built was perfect ... you wouldn't enjoy the next blank, and the next blank, near as much!! Fish it ... enjoy it!

Auntie Em

Reaction score
Brett,
Don't let the fact that this is an old thread stop you! Go back and read COMPLETELY the entire thread .... especially pages 3 and 7. EVERYTHING you would need is listed there (and a whole lot of other suggestions ... fun but certainly NOT needed!) Go to the suggested web sites, see what's there, see the reference books, pages, that are there, too.
THEN ... if you have questions, let me know. I'm always willing to help someone just getting started. I know mojo would too.
ps ... my rod build has already had a very full season, and is standing at the ready for spring thaw!

truckee bob

Reaction score
Nothing like catching fish with a rod you built yourself. I would be in, you can always pick up new tricks.

L

Liphookedau

Hi All.
I haven't build a rod since the late 80s watching this topic has me interested again as I suppose it's altogether different especially with the model materials blanks,hardware & fittings available so now I will check out different places for components as I would like to build an 8Wt 9' 4 pce & perhaps another 6Wt in 9'6' 4pce which I don't have.
I would like to build them preferrably on the Tiger Eye &/or Batson Rainshadow Blanks depending what's avalable.
Thanks for the tips,I will definately in future use the drywall tape to build up the Blank,however I might also have to ask how to inlet the feathers as I saw on Diver Dan's Rods.
Cheers.