Let's order some Hairwing flies

k_e_v

Reaction score
Farmington, ill. -Stop by for a cold beer on your
Hey everybody, Word on the street is that Jerry has a extra full class of "kids" this year and his fly shop is open for business. I myself will be placing another order tonight and would encourage anyone looking for the best flies anywhere to do the same. Remember xmas is coming quick and they make great gifts👍

For the new guys and gals just use the search feature or look at stickey's to see what you have been missing;) and what Hairwing530 can do for you

Regards, kev

karstopo

Reaction score
My order is in, come on folks, lets help the Kids out and give them the supplies they need:thumbsupu
Since I'm not a long timer (one year) on the forum, who are these "kids" we are helping out?

Also, what type of flies does Hairwing do? Since I might get to a trout stream every other year, I'm more interested in something for warmwater or saltwater fishing. Does he do up boxes of those?

eastfly66

Reaction score
I'm more interested in something for warmwater or saltwater fishing. Does he do up boxes of those?
Yes, and pike or salmon/steelhead too. I have a warmwater box from Jerry. Nice assortment. He has pictures here somewhere if they didn't get blocked out.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Since I'm not a long timer (one year) on the forum, who are these "kids" we are helping out?
David: Jerry is a three time survivor of brain cancer and he teaches children with brain cancer how to tie flies. It's his way of bringing a little joy into their lives. This year his class size has grown to 16 with the possibility of one more. I tie all my own flies, but I like to support Jerry's efforts with his kids, so I usually buy a couple fly boxes from him that I donate to the guys and gals in Project Healing Waters.
If you need flies or would like to get a great xmas gift for a friend, you can't go wrong with a box of flies from Jerry, his workmanship is superb.
Here is an example of his work:

spm

Reaction score
David: Jerry is a three time survivor of brain cancer and he teaches children with brain cancer how to tie flies. It's his way of bringing a little joy into their lives. This year his class size has grown to 16 with the possibility of one more. I tie all my own flies, but I like to support Jerry's efforts with his kids, so I usually buy a couple fly boxes from him that I donate to the guys and gals in Project Healing Waters.
If you need flies or would like to get a great xmas gift for a friend, you can't go wrong with a box of flies from Jerry, his workmanship is superb.
Amen, Brother.
steve

kentuckysteve

Reaction score
I have a warmwater box from Jerry and have caught many bass and bluegill on them.The largemouth love the yellow hoppers and zonkers.The flies are all excellent quality and you will get more than you expect to get.I don't know how he ties them so good as fast as he does but he does it.He is a great guy to deal with and an amazing tyer.You will not be disappointed.

karstopo

Reaction score
Great! Cancer is terrible and I've seen the battle it is to fight this dreaded disease up close and personal. Anything that aids in the recovery, especially for kids, is great.

Need to put my wife on this. A box of flies from Jerry would make a great Christmas gift.

hairwing530

Reaction score
beside the AuSable River in northern Michigan
Guys,

Many thanks for "having my back" yet again. Kevin and Larry are right about the class size this year, as the final total now stands at 17, or 3 more than the usual groups of "my kids." And, that one is on me, as I've never had the heart to say "No" in the 19 years that I've been teaching the tying classes, and I sincerely doubt that I ever will. It's not within me to do so, as I am both a multi-battle cancer survivor, as well as the father of a child who lost her own fight with leukemia just over 7 years ago...

So, my friends, thank you for everything you're doing-- for me, but especially for "my kids." In this day and age, your caring and generosity puts you all in a very special class of your own...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

JoJer

Reaction score
I ordered last year, Jerry was having some new challenges at the bench, so I put myself at the back of the line. Sometime, perhaps soon, I'll get a nice surprise in the mail.
Karstopo, This is the best deal you're ever going to find on flies.

hollisd

Reaction score
I recently ordered an XXL box of woolly buggers and leeches. The only stipulation was that Jerry break the rules. I told him I wanted to see flash and colors that look wrong. Jerry promised to tie sizes ranging from #6 to #12 and sneak in a few on either size of the layout. He said the trout will have a field day with what he has in mind.

desmobob

Reaction score
I placed an order in July of last year. Opening day --April 1-- is getting close and I have my fingers crossed! I've heard nothing but rave reviews of Jerry's flies. "Do it for the kids" can be cliché , but not in Jerry's case. God bless him.

hairwing530

Reaction score
Hey desmobob,

While I will admit to being a little slow on the draw sometimes, you should have had your bugs by now. And, I'll also admit that 2020 wasn't one of my finest years-- a tumor found near my spine and subsequently "excised" by a team of surgeons, a blood clot that followed, AND the fact that I impaled the palm of my right hand on an uncapped Exacto knife hiding in my tying desk drawer --there's no way that you should have had to wait this long. After all, I'm at the point with my 24-year cancer fight in which pain kind of comes with the territory...

Watch for a PM, my friend, and I'll make sure that you're stocked up for the season ahead. May you always be blessed for your patience and concern for this aging tier. My best to you...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

desmobob

Reaction score
Jerry,

PM and e-mail sent.

I don't know anyone who would be focusing on anything or anyone other than themselves when facing the challenges you have had. I have plenty of patience and don't mind being held up a bit! :)

Best regards,
Bob

hairwing530

Reaction score
Bob,

Doc-- former chief oncologist, now retired fishing crony --believes that I owe some of my longevity in my 24-year fight with cancer to the fact that I spend so much of my mental energy concentrating on my tying and "my kids," and so little of my waking hours worrying about what lies around the next bend on the cancer front. And, he well may be right, in that I can make a difference with the former and not so much with the latter. So, I do what I can do, and then keep putting one foot in front of the other and moving ahead. It's worked so far...

An e-mail should have arrived by now. Have a good one, Bob. We'll no doubt be talking soon...

Jerry, aka hairwing530