Let's see your tying station

MCHammer

Reaction score
This photo was taken ten years ago, but the room looks pretty much the same. Bigger stacks of materials bins, different stuff on the walls.

It started out in 1990 as a photo darkroom in my basement. Seeing Druunkonego's photo makes me want to paint my walls white. Probably never happen, though!

Attachments

Druunkonego

Reaction score
Haha, don’t do it. We bought the house and it was like that. Just one of the walls was painted white and I hate it. Given, the wood grain paneling down there is pretty dark colored, it was probably kind of dark down there but since we moved in we put in these stupid bright LED lights... anyway, I wouldn’t recommend it.

ottosmagic13

Reaction score
Re: Fly Tying Bench

Moved from the basement to the guest bedroom. Also picked up a new tying light. More materials underneath in one of the larger plastic three drawer organizers.

Just need a better chair.

Last edited:

Joey Bagels

Reaction score
I’ve been wanting something with a little more open area and more holes for all my tools. Also less high, more abundant and lower vertical thread and floss storage. After grubbing around online to get design ideas, I found the Oasis brand of tying benches. Nice designs and very streamlined and functional. I’m borrowing a variety of their design concepts and customizing my own bench with scrap wood left over from last spring’s central air/attic stairway repair and replacement. So far I’ve got most of the components cut out, but I need to do some drill, router, and Dremel work and sanding. As of this afternoon, I’ve now gone from this:

To this:

I’ll be working on it evenings after work this week and try to get it done for next weekend. Really looking forward to cranking out the first dozen flies on it!

Last edited:

Joey Bagels

Reaction score

Got home from work and after dinner I hit the garage to do some hole cutting. Here’s the status so far. Still some hole punching and router work to do, but it’s getting there...I think I’m going to redo the arm on the right side. The hole arrangement isn’t quite what I was going for and the bit I used really did a number on the wood, chopping out ragged edges instead of clean holes.

Still on track to have it done on the weekend though.

bigjim5589

Reaction score

Hey Jim :)

We are brothers of the lamp I see, I've been tying under an antique version since the early 90's when I found out how much easier a #20 Blue Quill was with the light and magnification.
Hey Ard! I've had a few of those lamps with the magnifying glass over the years. I only use the light for the most part but do like having the capability to magnify what I'm tying when needed. I don't tie many flies now smaller than a size 8, but certainly understand your comment! My eye sight for now has been good up close, it's the distance vision I have problem with. As we get up in age, I guess that may change too!

My hope is to have my tying room finished and all set up before I leave this world! If or when it happens, that light will be right there. It's become a big part of my tying procedures. :D

iv_wjb

Reaction score

That’s a pretty-cool project Joe... Nice work! Looking forward to seeing your progress and the finished project!

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score

Hey Ard! I've had a few of those lamps with the magnifying glass over the years. I only use the light for the most part but do like having the capability to magnify what I'm tying when needed. I don't tie many flies now smaller than a size 8, but certainly understand your comment! My eye sight for now has been good up close, it's the distance vision I have problem with. As we get up in age, I guess that may change too!

My hope is to have my tying room finished and all set up before I leave this world! If or when it happens, that light will be right there. It's become a big part of my tying procedures. :D
Regardless of what my vision is I like the magnification Jim. I found out when I started taking Macro photos of fancy salmon and steelhead flies that there were flaws that I was missing unless I used the lens. Those flies, if you expect them to pass inspection from other tiers require precision. Keeping tinsel wraps at exactly the same spacing and angle is tough even under the lens.

You remember these type flies I hope, that was before I drank the tube fly Koolaid :)

That 1:1 Macro shows every little flaw but I'd never get flies as neat as I'm able without the light and magnifier lens :)

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Beautiful flies Ard! ( As always!) :hail::hail::hail:

This is a couple of my most recent ties. Not exactly a lot of need for that type of precision on patterns like this one, which is another reason why I don't use the magnifier too much as I tie. ;)

1091.jpg

I'm certainly going to keep this in mind however. I have some Steelhead flies to tie, and may find that having that magnifier will be more useful than it's been. Thanks! :D

Joey Bagels

Reaction score
Holes are all drilled and cleaned up and I made a new arm for the right side with better hole design. Stain has been applied. Awaiting polyurethane coating on the new arms and still have some router work and modification to the thread spindles, but otherwise it’s in good shape.

dennyk

Reaction score
Holes are all drilled and cleaned up and I made a new arm for the right side with better hole design. Stain has been applied. Awaiting polyurethane coating on the new arms and still have some router work and modification to the thread spindles, but otherwise it’s in good shape.
Very nice work Joey!!

Denny

Joey Bagels

Reaction score
Router work done, polyurethane applied, parts assembled. The facelift is a success. My bench went from this:

To this:

First assembled January 6, 1996 and now updated, January 26, 2020. Should be another quarter century before I feel the urge to remodel it again. Or not...
Updated to add the bench is now fully reloaded and ready to wrap some flies. I actually have room for all my tools and spoils now and found some I forgot I had in a drawer. I even have room to spare. Time to hit the fly shop I suppose and nab some more stuff!

Last edited:

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score

Very nice, I've been waiting.....

You are more organized than I or at least it appears you intend to be very organized. There are so many really great fly tying benches displayed on this thread that it should be a source for the new guys who are looking for ideas. Yours is in the top tier of organizational ideas I think.

Joey Bagels

Reaction score

You’re right that I intend to be more organized! I’m pretty scattered and chaotic and my tying desk tends to get way out of control very fast. But with all the bugs here in Texas, that’s no good. Part of my New Years resolution was to clean up more and put things away when I’m done using them. This new bench layout will definitely help keep the clutter down and make it easier to clean up after a tying session...I hope!

roach45

Reaction score

Howdy,
Went from this:

To this:

Still have a few things to do, but at least I’m out of the corner!! Lol

Roach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iv_wjb

Reaction score

With the help of my lovely and talented assistant I installed a new peg board to help clear the clutter on the desktop. Happy happy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk