Let's see your tying station

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
Here's one for all of you highly organized tiers :D

Yeah it's getting bad, I have to clean up and organize today because I've collected more materials. It's not just cluttered, those are actual piles of fur and feathers, I've been very bad.

Some schlappen colors that are low and some new strands of flash, throw in some Icelandic Goat and things are normal. I'm not out of anything but like people buying toilet paper I'm a hoarder.

This hasn't even been dumped out, from Finland some odd colors of Fox tail I don't have and it was a deal. 16 pieces in there......

Mail has slowed dramatically due to the lack of air travel in and out of Alaska so I am still on watch for some feathers that left Chicago customs on the 11th of April. Any day now folks please :)

Bent Undergrowth

Reaction score
Here's one for all of you highly organized tiers :D

Yeah it's getting bad, I have to clean up and organize today because I've collected more materials. It's not just cluttered, those are actual piles of fur and feathers, I've been very bad.

Some schlappen colors that are low and some new strands of flash, throw in some Icelandic Goat and things are normal. I'm not out of anything but like people buying toilet paper I'm a hoarder.

This hasn't even been dumped out, from Finland some odd colors of Fox tail I don't have and it was a deal. 16 pieces in there......

Mail has slowed dramatically due to the lack of air travel in and out of Alaska so I am still on watch for some feathers that left Chicago customs on the 11th of April. Any day now folks please :)
Now that's a jungle. You have some nice stuff there.

I've gone the other direction during isolation and hung this pegboard to try to get a little more organized.

I get paranoid about having feathers out in the open for fear of bugs. I have a lot of wild pheasant, grouse, duck and turkey that I've cleaned and frozen for good measure, but I prefer to keep things in sealed bags.

Anyone have a suggestion where to get long skinny ziploc-style bags that might fit pheasant tails?

I know hareline PTs come in a non-sealing bag as I recently bought some dyed dark brown. I'd buy some of a different brand if I knew they came in a sealing bag.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
I've been fortunate in that I never had bugs. Some of my fur and capes date back 40 years and I'm still tying off them. I clear and organize periodically but the clutter will return in a matter of a few sessions. Part of it comes from the wide range of materials that will go into single patterns with some using ten or more different feather & fur combinations. Then you switch pattern but still need 4 of what you had up as well as 3 more colors of feather & fur. Next thing you know it's getting crazy again :)

KenBrown

Reaction score
Re: Fly Tying Bench

Got a new decal for the wall behind my tying desk. Rochester favorite Genny Bock.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Oh my, haven't heard the term 'Genny' in quite some time. Went to school with a guy at Mansfield University who sang the praises of Genny Cream Ale all the time. I never understood it as it was always 'bleh' to me. If I remember correctly, he was from Homer NY.

KenBrown

Reaction score

So here is a pic of my fly tying 'station'. Its my workbench where I also build my rods so as you can see, its quite a friggin mess. Latest batch of materials and new vice.

bench.jpg

TSMcDougald

Reaction score

I had posted a picture of my fly tying area back on page 47. It worked ok but I had to get up from my table to get hooks stashed in a desk drawer behind me a materials from therumbled bookshelf. Apparently I must have grumbled about that frequently because yesterday my wife gently pointed out that if I moved a couple of booksheleves out of the room I could reorganize and get things closer together.

20200510_062230.jpg

I can already feel the disaproving looks over how tidy my fly tying table is. In my defense it is hard to move a table covered in fly tying materials. Lord knows I tried. At any rate after moving bookshelves and books and reorganizing my wife pointed out that therevwas enough room left over that we could move one of her bookshelves with some of her craft supplies in. I feel that I have been hoodwinked but I can't quite put my finger on how.

ratherfish

Reaction score
I get paranoid about having feathers out in the open for fear of bugs. I have a lot of wild pheasant, grouse, duck and turkey that I've cleaned and frozen for good measure, but I prefer to keep things in sealed bags.

Anyone have a suggestion where to get long skinny ziploc-style bags that might fit pheasant tails?
I asked a taxidermy friend of mine about freezing furs and feathers, as I have access to a lot from my own hunting experiences. He said freezing them will just cause the bugs to go dormant and will not kill them, that's how they are made to survive. He said if I really wanted to be on the safe side, I'd really need to do some kind of tanning process, be it old or new school to kill them critters.

As for ziplocks bags - I bought some from a hobby/craft store, but when I got to using them I realized they were a very thin mil material and a wussy zipper, they pretty much suck; so look closely at the make up of them. Amazon may be a good source.

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
I know it's been said many times but, Moth Balls. It only takes one or two in each drawer or container. I was a hunter for many decades but somehow knew I didn't want fresh wild stock mixed in with my Hoffman - Metz - Kelough - or the jungle cock capes. I used moth balls to protect against any type of bug that might have entered but never placed new or what I call Raw materials into my supplies. Pheasants Grouse and Partridge I plucked what I would use and bagged them. I was doing the bag thing since before Zip Loc's came along and when they did they became the way to keep my plucked feathers. I'd recommend against keeping whole skins, the kind sold in shops that are well treated are not expensive enough for me to risk contaminating my inventory.

gillage

Reaction score
Just got this cleaned up. Thanks for all the inspiration in this thread.
Not much of a table (big box store folding table), but hey it works for me.

tn_IMG_8258.JPG

ts47

Reaction score

I know hareline PTs come in a non-sealing bag as I recently bought some dyed dark brown. I'd buy some of a different brand if I knew they came in a sealing bag.

Cut the feathers into halves, thirds or quarters and put them in smaller more readily available bags.

Last edited:

ts47

Reaction score
Excellent call. Can't believe I didn't think of this!

The funny thing is... I've had the same problem for years. If you hadn't asked the question, we'd both still have the same problem. :eek: Now "we" just need to decide what version of ZipLock bag is best suited and how short to cut those feathers.

bocianka1

Reaction score

I use these no-pest strips instead of mothballs. I cut apart the rectangular strip into small squares that fit in tiny plastic bead containers I found for cheap at the craft store. Placed a container in my drawers, storage boxes, etc.

The smell is much less intense than moth balls.

Hot Shot 100046114 No-Pest Strip, Pack of 1 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0019BK8AG/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_oXHUEbXNR737N

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Davitticus Maximus

Reaction score
This is my fly tying station. It is made from a small cutting board. Very basic, and small enough that I can pack it up for travel. Not that i have needed to much. I usually set up my stuff at the kitchen table, but soon i will be using this other table that we have downstairs but i need a better light source.20201114_150515.jpg20201114_150545.jpg

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
Now that's a jungle. You have some nice stuff there.

I've gone the other direction during isolation and hung this pegboard to try to get a little more organized.

If I stopped by your place I'd want to buy something :)

hatidua

Reaction score
Here's the reel shelves in that photo: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/mosslanda-picture-ledge-white-40291766/

Shell: yeah it's a sea turtle shell, from SE Asia.

(I'm opposed to the harvest of sea turtles. It belonged to my father who was a biologist and tossing it in the trash at this point wouldn't bring that turtle or my father back to life. Both have been dead a long time now)

Last edited:

nawagner

Reaction score
I just started re-doing my bench since I recently moved. Need to find something for my thread spools. Waiting for my wife to unpack her sewing room where she has sewing thread spool holders that are empty. hatidua gives me an idea with the shelves though!
IMG_20201115_203048686.jpg