Let's see your tying station

ottosmagic13

Reaction score
Re: Fly Tying Bench

Got a new decal for the wall behind my tying desk. Rochester favorite Genny Bock.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

strmanglr scott

Reaction score
I'll get a pic up soon.

I've got a pretty wide desk. Unfinished wood working project from high school. I'm done working on it.

A little thing that made my set-up way better, a table pad for a dining table. It's black felt on the side I keep up. So it holds feathers and everything else. My hooks don't slide around, I can walk by it and feathers don't go flying to the floor and the little trimmings stick to it. Plus being black, it makes seeing stuff much easier.

Clear all the tools off it and take a lint roller to it and it's all clean again.

You don't need a table pad. Just get some dense foam and upholster to your work base.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I appreciate resourcefulness, my own tying bench came from a moving sale. I scanned each photo carefully looking for the bong....

flytie09

Reaction score

Got my fly tying desk back from the clutches of evil. The next house I hope will have built in shelving.

You can see the latest off the vise. The Inchgarth.

16A24B3A-3722-4491-A1FB-1774B421D3ED.jpg

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score

I'll use this moment to say welcome to the forum Dave, until just the past 2 days I hadn't spotted your posts. By now you've figured out the depth of the site I would guess :)

Davebuech

Reaction score

Thanks Ard. I had been lurking for a while but yes so far I am finding my way around. Great site and some great folks here to chat with about my favorite subjects!

dennyk

Reaction score
I just received a gift from an old friend yesterday. The organizer tool area is handmade from solid maple with ebony pegs holding it together. Certainly a much appreciated gift. My friend had it laying around for the last 20 years and never used it. He is a custom bamboo fly rod maker, which takes up most of his time. Pretty nice upgrade to my tying room.

Then:

Now:

Denny

Last edited:

JDR

Reaction score
Tying Desk small.jpg

This is my tying desk. I tie with the back board in front of the lamp bases, but the shadows were pretty bad, so I moved it back. I try to keep out only the materials I am using for each batch of flies. There is some dubbing and hair to the side, out of the frame.

ts47

Reaction score
View attachment 22396

This is my tying desk. I tie with the back board in front of the lamp bases, but the shadows were pretty bad, so I moved it back. I try to keep out only the materials I am using for each batch of flies. There is some dubbing and hair to the side, out of the frame.
JDR,

What is that back board and the stand you are using to hold it in place? I would like to use something like that behind my vice.

JDR

Reaction score
First, thanks to everyone for the "Likes".

The back stand is simple, easy, and cheap. The board is a piece of mat board. If you go to a framing shop you can get a piece that has been cut out for a window frame for a coupe of dollars. You should be able to find lots of great, soft colors (cream, grey, white etc). Get a couple for different colored flies.

The stand is one of those "third-hand" stands with the magnifying glass in the middle and alligator clips on the ends. I just removed the magnifying glass and turned it into a kind of easel. It does give a lot of flexibility in positioning the background.

Also, the base was from a granite cabinet shop scrap pile. Cost $25.00 and they drilled the hole. I took JB Weld and filled the hole, inserted a 6mm screw fitted to the Stonfo shaft holder, got it all squared up and let it cure.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's one for all of you highly organized tiers :D

Yeah it's getting bad, I have to clean up and organize today because I've collected more materials. It's not just cluttered, those are actual piles of fur and feathers, I've been very bad.

Some schlappen colors that are low and some new strands of flash, throw in some Icelandic Goat and things are normal. I'm not out of anything but like people buying toilet paper I'm a hoarder.

This hasn't even been dumped out, from Finland some odd colors of Fox tail I don't have and it was a deal. 16 pieces in there......

Mail has slowed dramatically due to the lack of air travel in and out of Alaska so I am still on watch for some feathers that left Chicago customs on the 11th of April. Any day now folks please :)