Line for Asquith 590

coug

Reaction score
Did not want to hijack the great thread on the TA reviews. The observation was made that some shops recommend heavier lines for rod than most would actually fish. I am curious about this, because the shop I bought my 590 asquith from threw in a SA Amplitude Infinity which is a half-size heavy, but I see TA recommends rio Tech Trout. I only had it out one day with the Infinity, and need to try some other lines.

What are favorite lines for this rod?

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
My bud has RIO Gold on it and its seems perfect BUT I have never tried Technical Trout on it which would be a fine comparison to make. Asquith #5 is a great rod. The bamboo in the reel seat is made by the same shop that makes Lexus steering wheels.

fishrat

Reaction score
For "general purpose", Loomis recommends SA-Infinity and SA-Trout.

I've been using Rio Gold (per TA suggestion) on mine and love it.

Absolutely stellar rod BTW. Best in class.

dtaylo1066

Reaction score
Rio Gold is a fine line, but is 10 grains or so over standard weight. I have used it with success in the past on several rods, but none of the Asquith quality. I have a fast action rod that I made from a Batson Eternity2 blank that is very light weight. I bought a new SA GPX line and threw out my old Rio Gold, only to find out I could not stand the SA line on this new rod. The modern, overweight and aggressive taper lines feel like crap to me on most rods. I bought a Rio Technical Trout line (standard weight) on it and it feels much, much better, though not so good at roll casting. So I am still searching for the optimum line for this rod. I think I am old school and prefer standard AFTMA line weights and more traidional tapers on 5 and 6 wt rods.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
dtaylo, Gold is 5 or 6 gr. over 140 standard, still within the grain window for a 5-wt. GPX and Infinity at 150 gr. are a full half heavy and also forward weight biased.

Falcon, the main difference other than taper intricacy's I find in fishing Gold vs. the SA Trout/MEDT is the SA's (and Tech Trout too) have front tapers in the 10' range while Gold's is under 6'. All things, rod and leader, being the same, Gold seems to me to provide more positive aerial leader turnover, not out of aggressiveness but simply a matter of mass/energy dynamics. Of course, these are the lines in my wheelhouse plus the Cortland Omni-Verse/Distance Taper which is true weight with, I recall, a 7' front taper. Rods, Lines and Leaders...taper taper taper.

falcon53

Reaction score
Hi S&S, Agreed the mass energy dynamics you refer to is real especially when turning over 15 to 18 ft leaders and larger dry flies especially at longer distance where the longer presentation tapers don't carry the goods as well.. I usually prefer to fish Gold for this very reason. All these lines aerial mend well and what really amazed me when I fished the rod for the first time was the effortless water mends .... it really does not require a lot of effort; just a little roll of your wrist as the rod is so responsive. I was actually over mending at first . The Gold also enables me to use a slightly slower casting stroke compared to SA Trout/MEDT. I will try the Cortland Omni-Verse taper. The Asquith is a wonderful rod and its too bad the dry fly season is behind us. Now I need to look at Matthew Taylor's new 6wt. I am going to miss going to the show this year as it is one of the highlights of my winter.

hatidua

Reaction score
I have a 590 Asquith and have tried SA MPX, SA Infinity, several Airflo lines, and a Rio Gold on it. The Rio Gold is staying with that rod (it's a good line for my arm with that rod, it may not be a good line with someone else's arm with that rod).