Line Suggestions for Orvis Superfine Glass 7'6" 3WT

Scooter1942

Reaction score
Managed to get my hands on a new SFG 7'6" 3wt. Wondering if anyone has a particular line preference for this rod for general purpose dry fly work on smaller water? Note: I have a couple of shorter 2wt & 3wt rods that I use for really tight mountain streams with lots of cover. I imagine using this rod for smaller river dry fly work where there's a little more room and the ability to cast up to about 35'.

So far, I've tried Orvis Hydros Superfine WF3 and Cortland Peach DT3, but its a bit breezy today and I've been unable to give each a fair shake. I've read that the 7'6" is more of a true 3WT whereas the Orvis SFG 7' 3wt (which I also have) does better with a 4wt. Given that the 7' is one of my up small water/tight quarters rod, I'm using Cortland Sylk 4DT to help it load with very little line out of the rod tip. Seems to work very well, though I've only lawn cast it.

Suggestions?

Zwego01

Reaction score
I do not have a 3wt SFG but do have a CTS 7’6” 4wt that I use Rio Gold on and it feels great. I also have the Orvis Superfine on a Taylor 8’6” 4wt and it works great for light presentations. If you are going to do “short” presentations, the Rio Gold should work well since it has a shorter front taper than the Orvis Superfine allowing you to load and cast at shorter distances a bit easier.

thomasw

Reaction score
I recommend the 406 DT3 for your use case. Fantastic line for fishing flies and manipulating your line and leader.... Reasonable price point, too. Hope this helps you.

frickerdog

Reaction score
I recommend the 406 DT3 for your use case. Fantastic line for fishing flies and manipulating your line and leader.... Reasonable price point, too. Hope this helps you.
I also have 406 DT paired with my 3 wt and it works great.

proheli

Reaction score
You can’t really go wrong with the DT/Gold taper, but now if the fish are 15+ feet away, so maybe you don’t need to load right at your feet, then something like Amp Trout Smooth, with its longer front taper would be very fun and increase your versatility. I love the coating on that line and have several sizes of it. I’ve got Trout, Infinity and Gold, depending, but you already have rods for close in work, so if you want to reach out a few more feet then an SA Trout might be good. The SA Trout does not feel too light like it is just going to blow away in the wind, its a really good line. I’ve got it in a 3wt and can imagine your SFG liking it.

DeWitt.55

Reaction score
You can’t really go wrong with the DT/Gold taper, but now if the fish are 15+ feet away, so maybe you don’t need to load right at your feet, then something like Amp Trout Smooth, with its longer front taper would be very fun and increase your versatility. I love the coating on that line and have several sizes of it. I’ve got Trout, Infinity and Gold, depending, but you already have rods for close in work, so if you want to reach out a few more feet then an SA Trout might be good. The SA Trout does not feel too light like it is just going to blow away in the wind, its a really good line. I’ve got it in a 3wt and can imagine your SFG liking it.
I really like the coating on the Amp Trout Smooth too. Do you perceive it to be different than Mastery Trout? To me it feels like the coating is perhaps a bit stiffer / more stable in the air?

Upstate08

Reaction score
I’ve got the SFG 763 and have fished it with SA Mastery Trout and Rio LT, the weight forward variety of each. I prefer the SA but the Rio fishes fine as well. I’m dying to try the 406 DT3 but it’s hard to find these days.

Either way, the tip on that 763 is so light you don’t need an especially short front taper to get it to load in close. I’d stick to standard grain weight lines, no need to go heavy.