Line too tight

Denf221

Reaction score
fly line is really tight when I try to pull it off reel while casting. I don’t think the drag is too tight. I recently in spooled it in order to untangle, could I have responded it too tightly? Any suggestions?

jayr

Reaction score
What reel are you using? To me it sounds as if the drag is too tight.

If it is a true drag, not a click pawl, release the drag all the way and see if it is still too tight.

Upstate08

Reaction score
Check to see if you've wrapped over the line, catching the line underneath itself on the spool. Not sure if that makes sense, of course there is line underneath your line on the spool. But sometimes the line gets caught and the line you're trying to pull off the reel isn't the top layer of line on the spool. Rather, it's line that's been spooled over and is trapped underneath the top layers of line. This can happen and will make it harder to pull line out. Otherwise, as Jay said, check the drag tension if your reel has a drag.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I'm with Mr Upstate. Somehow your line has tangled itself so that the tag end is trapped under the next bit on the spool.
You'll need to pull it all off or at least down to the point where the tangle disapears

ottosmagic13

Reaction score
Is your reel dirty? It might not be the drag or the line that is causing the issue. Give the reel a good cleaning and oil/lube to manufactures specs.

dharkin

Reaction score
Try winding the reel backwards for 2 or 3 turns. Do you feel resistance ? If you do, then there is probably something drag related or something else wrong with the reel. If there is no resistance, then I would say you have something wrong with the way the line is spooled on the reel.

mtboiler

Reaction score
Also, it is a good thing to periodically pull off 40 or 50 feet of line and rewind it back onto the reel spreading it evenly across the spool. I do this about every other week. I also clean it. But the purpose of doing this is to smooth out the line on the reel so there is no lumps that might be rubbing up against the reel casing. This can cause damage to the line as well.