List of Full Cage or Spey approved reels

searun_cut

Reaction score
Which reels are missing from the below list? What are the Full Cage reels that would work for Spey? Partial Cage Reels? Other reels that are known to work as if they are Full Cage.

Also which reels do you like for spey?

If there are any errors in the below list please let me know.

Full Cage:
Hardy St John
Hardy St Aidan
Hardy St George
Hardy Marquis LWT
Hardy Marquis Salmon
Hardy Bougle
Hardy Perfect
Hardy Cascapedia
Hardy JLH
SA System 2
JW Young 1500 series
Pflueger Medalists 1498 and 1496 1/2
Kingpin Spey

Most if not all Danielsson reels
SAGE Trout
SAGE Spey
Sage 508, 509 (made by Hardy)
Sage Domain
HD variants of Lamson Reels
Lamson Arx
Battenkill Disk Spey Reels
Battenkill Click and Pawl Spey Reels
Able Classic
Able Switch
Able Spey
Speyco Scandi
Teton
Teton Tioga
Speyco
Olson
Saracione
Farlex
Vision (Tank)
Leland

Partial Cage:

Hardy Duchess
New Ross Colorado November 2020 (although 5/6 is biggest size. Possibly a 2wt Spey?)

Spey Approved (would function as well as full caged):

I believe some of the Nautilus Reels make a claim like this (e.g. Nautilus CCF-X2 Silver King)

Last edited:

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
I dont understand your question?

Full cage reels are preferred because with a big fish on the line will not cant leave the spool, mono will not jump out of the cage as well.

You dont have to use full cage reels but I think it's a good idea I do and we all have our preferences.

I fish a speyco scandi and I have a a new Sage spey 6/7/8 for my light switch rod, although it works fine on my 13' spey rod.

The problem I have is that I fish modern light Sage switch and spey rods, and the reels I really like are too heavy, its hard to find a very light full cage reel.

searun_cut

Reaction score
I dont understand your question?

Full cage reels are preferred because with a big fish on the line will not cant leave the spool, mono will not jump out of the cage as well.

You dont have to use full cage reels but I think it's a good idea I do and we all have our preferences.

I fish a speyco scandi and I have a a new Sage spey 6/7/8 for my light switch rod, although it works fine on my 13' spey rod.

The problem I have is that I fish modern light Sage switch and spey rods, and the reels I really like are too heavy, its hard to find a very light full cage reel.
Thanks, I have update the question. Just looking to fill out the list of full cage reels. Also partial cage reels. Then there are some companies that say they have solved the issue of running line leaving the spool without going full cage. (e.g. Nautilus CCF-X2 Silver King)

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Thanks, I have update the question. Just looking to fill out the list of full cage reels. Also partial cage reels. Then there are some companies that say they have solved the issue of running line leaving the spool without going full cage. (e.g. Nautilus CCF-X2 Silver King)
Ok cool have fun!

Last edited:

flav

Reaction score
I use a couple full cage reels that aren't on your list, although they're not in production any more. My steelhead two handers sport a Hardy Marquis Salmon and JW Young 1500 series (rebranded as Sage, LL Bean, and others). I also have a Teton that is available in Spey sizes (and is still in production) and SA System 2 that get plenty of use as well. The list goes on, especially if you include older reels in trout Spey sizes and include smaller companies like Speyco (10 models), Olson, Saracione, Farlex, Vision (tank), and Leland.
I love spring and pawl reels for my freshwater fishing, the louder the better. I really like a palming rim, however, so some older reels are not of interest to me.

searun_cut

Reaction score
My steelhead two handers sport a Hardy Marquis Salmon and JW Young 1500 series (rebranded as Sage, LL Bean, and others). I also have a Teton that is available in Spey sizes (and is still in production) and SA System 2 that get plenty of use as well. The list goes on, especially if you include older reels in trout Spey sizes and include smaller companies like Speyco (10 models), Olson, Saracione, Farlex, Vision (tank), and Leland.
I love spring and pawl reels for my freshwater fishing, the louder the better. I really like a palming rim, however, so some older reels are not of interest to me.
Teton and Teton Tioga are also full cage.
Lamson Arx
Pflueger Medalists 1498 and 1496 1/2.
Thanks Everyone. List updated.