Little tricks to share

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Encouraged by Hardyreels to do it,I’ve decided to start a new thread to share some of my tricks with you ,maybe most of them will help beginners ,maybe some of you will find a good idea to solve a little problem…before I start don’t blame me if my explanations are not always as clear as you expected for French is my native tongue.
1 You’ve got a rod whose ferule is worn out or your tip or a piece of your 4 or3p rod which works loose or goes off when you fish.Just take a candle and rub your rod with it,easy,cheap and it works as well on carbon and metal.
to be continued….if you find that useful:)

Davo

Reaction score
I've got one. When you've snagged your fly on a log, rock, root.... ect that is above the water, and are unable to get to it do to depth or speed of water or cause your floating past it down the river what do you do? Most times people just snap it off and tie on a new fly. Next time this happens to you try this, Raise your straight up keeping the line tight and then roll cast above and past the object you are snagged on. After your line goes over the object make a quick backcast. About half the time your fly pops free and the fishing continues. I use this technique alot with clients as well as for myself. Also never use this method when snagged in a bush or tree, you'll end up with a bunch of line tangled in the branches.

Davo

Reaction score
Another good one is to cut a small piece of a car wash chamois and pin it to your vest or stick in your pocket. When your fly becomes water logged and won't float anymore, just pinch the fly in the chamois and squeeze out the water. Then reapply floatant and start fishing. Dries out fly quickly and is reusable for a long time.

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
So...Davo and I are going to share our little tricks,that's a good team I think:icon_bigg.The car wash chamois is great but you can use this too.When you find a little bag of silica desicant in one of your parcels or a medicine tube,don't throw it as advised,put it in a little tube.When your fly is wet,put it inside the tube,close it and shake...It'll come out perfectly dry.(very useful when you fish with a "cul de canard".

Davo

Reaction score
So...Davo and I are going to share our little tricks,that's a good team I think:icon_bigg.The car wash chamois is great but you can use this too.When you find a little bag of silica desicant in one of your parcels or a medicine tube,don't throw it as advised,put it in a little tube.When your fly is wet,put it inside the tube,close it and shake...It'll come out perfectly dry.(very useful when you fish with a "cul de canard".
This is a tried and true method for drying drowned flies. Used it myself for years and still have a small jar of desicant in my vest. Takes more time and fumbling. One key to desicants is to make sure you remove all excess from your fly before adding floatant or fishing. Desicant soaks up many times it's own weight in water, leave any on the fly and it will start sinking quickly causing the need to repeat treatment.

flyguy66

Reaction score
Encouraged by Hardyreels to do it,I’ve decided to start a new thread to share some of my tricks with you ,maybe most of them will help beginners ,maybe some of you will find a good idea to solve a little problem…before I start don’t blame me if my explanations are not always as clear as you expected for French is my native tongue.
1 You’ve got a rod whose ferule is worn out or your tip or a piece of your 4 or3p rod which works loose or goes off when you fish.Just take a candle and rub your rod with it,easy,cheap and it works as well on carbon and metal.
to be continued….if you find that useful:)
chapstick works, too...and most of us carry 1 w/us on the river.

MontanaMoose

Reaction score
Retrieving flies from trees or underwater can be tricky at times...a friend showed me this little trick if the fly isn't to deep or too high up in the tree...point the rod at the fly and slowly strip the line in until the tip top engages the bend of the hook...I stress slowly since we don't want to wreck the tip...and from there, simply move the rod in the same direction while you were stripping in the line...hook comes free, fly saved and no stress on the rod or leader from tugging.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

BigCliff

Reaction score
Retrieving flies from trees or underwater can be tricky at times...a friend showed me this little trick if the fly isn't to deep or too high up in the tree...point the rod at the fly and slowly strip the line in until the tip top engages the bend of the hook...I stress slowly since we don't want to wreck the tip...and from there, simply move the rod in the same direction while you were stripping in the line...hook comes free, fly saved and no stress on the rod or leader from tugging.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose
This works but is risky. Flies are cheaper than rods.

I prefer the roll cast method: Once you know you're hung, quit tugging. Start pulling off extra line so you can throw a roll cast beyond the snag, thus tugging the fly off the snag in the opposite direction of how it initially approached it.

If fishing downstream in current, you can also let the current form a bow in the line and then give a tug once you've got the belly way beyond the snag.

onlymidges

Reaction score
Here is a little trick I use. Get 1 or 2 wine corks and drill a hole through the center long ways. Run an old shoe string through the hole and tie a knot on one end and leave enough shoe string on the other end to make a loop. You slide the shoe string through a D ring on your vest and loop cork through the loop of the shoe sting so it hangs down.

You can put your flies into the cork to dry when you chang flies or if you are tying on a dropper fly you can hook your dropper fly in the cork while you tie on your tippet.

I will post some pix to show everyone. This is a very cheap trick!!!!!

Jr

axle27

Reaction score
I love this idea. Coupled on the cork idea (love that too), you could use an old 35mm film can, drill a small hole in the lid and bottom. Using the other shoe string, fish it through the cap from the top, then through the hole in the can from the inside, knot it. Leave enough room for the lid to be removed for the fly insertion and there you have it.

Aside from this, you could punch a hole in the chamios, tie it onto a longer end of the shoestring and use it to remove the remains of the drying agent. they could hang together from the same string, if done right.

I'll do one up and post a pic.

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hi everybody,I'm glad this thread is successful and some of you join us,so thanks a lot to you all.Davo's going to post a new trick soon and I'll post mine then.

flyguy66

Reaction score
dave whitlock taught me this 1, so i don't want to take credit:

it's sort of hard to explain without demonstrating though. say you're casting against a bank or up to a bush or tree that is emerging from or overhanging the water and you overshoot a bit and your fly hangs a limb, but the line doesn't wrap around it a bunch of times...it's pretty much just dangling there. this happens quite a bit actually...especially when casting poppers, dries, hoppers, etc. near the bank.

do not yank! relax, and retrieve the fly line as slowly as possible until the fly simply scoots over the limb and plops into the water below. it works about 9 out of 10 times. oh...and be ready for a strike. it's a very realistic presentation when imitating terrestrials!

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
dave whitlock taught me this 1, so i don't want to take credit:

it's sort of hard to explain without demonstrating though. say you're casting against a bank or up to a bush or tree that is emerging from or overhanging the water and you overshoot a bit and your fly hangs a limb, but the line doesn't wrap around it a bunch of times...it's pretty much just dangling there. this happens quite a bit actually...especially when casting poppers, dries, hoppers, etc. near the bank.

do not yank! relax, and retrieve the fly line as slowly as possible until the fly simply scoots over the limb and plops into the water below. it works about 9 out of 10 times. oh...and be ready for a strike. it's a very realistic presentation when imitating terrestrials!
Thanks!That's a very good one indeed people are afraid to use but which is deadly:icon_razz.I'll simply advise if you want to try it,to sart by landing your fly on rocks(or hit them with it) before you try on bushes or branches and use a thick palmer which is less likely to be stuck than any other fly.