Little tricks to share

dennyk

Reaction score
I just caught myself doing this and realized it could be useful. I tie with unwaxed thread but when I need to apply some tacky wax to the thread for dubbing, I apply it with a toothpick. Beats getting it all over your fingers.

Denny

Joefish

Reaction score
A guide showed me what he uses for drying flys. Something very simple and is great at absorbing water. A folded paper towel.

patrick62

Reaction score
Redundancy, aka extra stuff.

For example:

I use regular fingernail clippers for nippers. I buy three or four at a time, and keep a spare handy.

Or tippet. I keep a couple extra spools of whatever I use most on my person.

I also keep backup stuff in the car. Boots, socks, layers of clothing if it's cold and/or wet.

Batteries.

You get the idea.

chechem

Reaction score
I wrap sports tape around the handles of my nail clippers to improve grip. I started doing that for nippers and clippers when fishing those dry-skin days out west. Now all of the clippers, forceps, and other metal tools in our house have sports tape on them.
:D

patrick62

Reaction score
I wrap sports tape around the handles of my nail clippers to improve grip. I started doing that for nippers and clippers when fishing those dry-skin days out west. Now all of the clippers, forceps, and other metal tools in our house have sports tape on them.
:D
Ha me too.

jc10

Reaction score
Encouraged by Hardyreels to do it,I’ve decided to start a new thread to share some of my tricks with you ,maybe most of them will help beginners ,maybe some of you will find a good idea to solve a little problem…before I start don’t blame me if my explanations are not always as clear as you expected for French is my native tongue.
1 You’ve got a rod whose ferule is worn out or your tip or a piece of your 4 or3p rod which works loose or goes off when you fish.Just take a candle and rub your rod with it,easy,cheap and it works as well on carbon and metal.
to be continued….if you find that useful:)
So here's one I learned from my dad when I was about 6 or 7 years old (let's just say that I'm over 60 years of age now). I must be careful here, so let's just say that he was 2nd generation whose parents came to US from a country on the Mediterranean and his skin was a bit oily. And now the tip .... every now and then, if having difficulty putting pieces of a rod together, and you are of similar heritage, run your index finger along side of your nose to pick up some "lubricant" and apply it to the rod. Works every time!!!

jbcissell

Reaction score
So here's one I learned from my dad when I was about 6 or 7 years old (let's just say that I'm over 60 years of age now). I must be careful here, so let's just say that he was 2nd generation whose parents came to US from a country on the Mediterranean and his skin was a bit oily. And now the tip .... every now and then, if having difficulty putting pieces of a rod together, and you are of similar heritage, run your index finger along side of your nose to pick up some "lubricant" and apply it to the rod. Works every time!!!
Another little secret... You can do the same thing, stir your beer with your finger and it will quickly get rid of the foam on top.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

flytie09

Reaction score
A simple way to dry your fly off..... stick the soaked fly in a rubber band and give it a pluck.

biker1usa

Reaction score
Vick's lip care for floatant. Costs very little and works good. Also lasts a long time, at least as long or longer as any other floatant. Been using this for about 15 years now and will not buy floatant from a fly shop anymore.

JoJer

Reaction score
Great thread!

Every year, everyone probably has one string of Christmas lights that no longer works. Don't throw it away. Inside is several years worth of copper wire for tying. I cut them into 6-8 inch lengths and strip all but the last bit of insulation to keep them in neat bundles.

spm
If you want some really fine wire for tying ribs on sub#20 flies, check your local second hand store for portable CD players. The wire wraps in the motor are pretty fine, but the wraps in the area of the optical scanner is very fine.

cwb124

Reaction score
May have been mentioned and maybe some folks know it, but it's a trick I learned from my mother who is quite a fly fisherwoman. Fishing east coast streams full of rhododendron makes one become creative. If you want to get a fly to a hole or piece of water under an overhanging bush or a place that is otherwise completely unreachable with a traditional, side arm, or underarm fly cast, reel in a bunch of line, leaving maybe 1.5x your leader length outside the guides (works best with rods under 7'6" and 7ft leaders). Grab the fly and point your rod tip right to where you want the fly to go. Pull the fly back, loading the rod a little bit like a slingshot and let go of the fly. It should shoot straight back where you want it to go. Takes a little practice but it can get a dry fly to an otherwise unreachable hole that might hold a beauty.

cwb124

Reaction score
Oh and I always keep a little pack of small rectangular stickers in my fishing gear. Whenever I load a reel with new line, I write the month/year and what type of line (WF4, DT5) with a fine sharpie on the sticker and put it on the inside of the spool. Even if it gets wet it'll be readable. Knowing how old a line is can save some aggravation.

patrick62

Reaction score
Oh and I always keep a little pack of small rectangular stickers in my fishing gear. Whenever I load a reel with new line, I write the month/year and what type of line (WF4, DT5) with a fine sharpie on the sticker and put it on the inside of the spool. Even if it gets wet it'll be readable. Knowing how old a line is can save some aggravation.
Not to mention knowing which line it is

patrick62

Reaction score
I saw a great DIY rod rack system in a guy's SUV yesterday. He had two rods rigged up and suspended inside the car. Up front he had a bungy cord wrapped tight between the two seat headrests. In back he had one of those spring-loaded shower bars. The reels were attached with what looked like pipe cleaners, although any sort of securable strap would do.

Not sure if it would work with my Subaru Forester but I'm going to try.

dennyk

Reaction score
This is a method I use for tying on the small 2mm tippet rings. I start out with a 12" piece of 10# test and thread it through the ring and bend the mono back on itself. So now you have a 6" piece of the mono with the ring on it. Where the ring rests at the halfway point I put a kink in the line. Now you have a handle with the ring on it and simply tie it to your line with the 6" piece of line there is plenty there to torque the knot down on what you are tying it to. No fumbling around. This works great for me since my fingers don't always do what I want them to do. :(

Denny

redietz

Reaction score
I'm not sure why you would consider that cheating. It's pretty much impossible to tie a size 20 soft hackle with, say partridge, without using that or any of several similar technique to shorten the hackle length.

Another way of going about it is to wrap the hackle near the bend of the hook, stroke it forward over the eye, tie down, and then stroke it forward after creating the body.