Little tricks to share

LePetomane

Reaction score
When I put a rod together I put the male ends of the rod beside my nose and rotate it around. This area of your face alongside your nose is the oilest place on your face and adding a little of your face oil to the male ferrule before you put the rod sections together will allow for easier disassembly when you are ready to take the rod apart. Lefty taught me that years ago.
Maybe on graphite or fiberglass but you don't want to do that on metal ferrules. Any residual will cause corrosion over time. Plain candle wax (paraffin) will work just as well without potential harm to the rod.

Last edited:

original cormorant

Reaction score
Inspired by the topic of rod assembly I note that most anglers don't adopt the best sequence fo this.
With a typical 4 piece rod first attach the reel to the butt section, then assemble the top three sections and then attach butt section.
This means you aren't waving the entire rod about as you attach the reel and also (if there are no allignment marks) that you can see the reel is in line with the rings.

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
I learned this trick from one of the great climbers of my generation back in the 80's. I was going to Alaska to tackle a couple of big peaks for the first time. Ran into Charlie at a local cliff. He had tons of experience in the alpine so I asked him for some advice.
"Never pass up an opportunity to pee" was all he said.

LePetomane

Reaction score
A little gem that I use every time I fish is that when I arrive at the stream I put my waders on first. The last thing I do before I leave the car is assemble my rod. When I arrive at the car after fishing I immediately take my rod apart and place it in the tube. These sequences minimize the time your rod is exposed to open car doors and breakage.

Who can guess the leading cause of bamboo rod breakage? Hint: It is not a car door.

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
I
A little gem that I use every time I fish is that when I arrive at the stream I put my waders on first. The last thing I do before I leave the car is assemble my rod. When I arrive at the car after fishing I immediately take my rod apart and place it in the tube. These sequences minimize the time your rod is exposed to open car doors and breakage.

Who can guess the leading cause of bamboo rod breakage? Hint: It is not a car door.
I do the same. Rod is last out of the truck when I arrive and first in upon returning.
Can't answer your question but would love to know the answer.

LePetomane

Reaction score
"Never pass up an opportunity to pee" was all he said.
That should be the last thing you do before pulling up your waders.

Another tip, when preparing dubbing for dry flies, less is more. Start with a little and add. It is easier to add than it is to subtract.

Last edited: