Little tricks to share

jrp11948

Reaction score
Don’t know if this has been mentioned, don’t want to go thru 24 pages.
when moving locations, putting away our rods temporarly, we wrap the leader around the reel and hook the fly To a guide half way or farther up the rod. when we want to fish again we have to unhook the fly, not easy, unless you have unusually long arms.
Next time try this, unloop the leader from the reel and simply tap the top of the rod about where the hook catch is. The fly will magically fall from the guide.

Reaction score
Another good one is to cut a small piece of a car wash chamois and pin it to your vest or stick in your pocket. When your fly becomes water logged and won't float anymore, just pinch the fly in the chamois and squeeze out the water. Then reapply floatant and start fishing. Dries out fly quickly and is reusable for a long time.

Upstate08

Reaction score
I've got one. When you've snagged your fly on a log, rock, root.... ect that is above the water, and are unable to get to it do to depth or speed of water or cause your floating past it down the river what do you do? Most times people just snap it off and tie on a new fly. Next time this happens to you try this, Raise your straight up keeping the line tight and then roll cast above and past the object you are snagged on. After your line goes over the object make a quick backcast. About half the time your fly pops free and the fishing continues. I use this technique alot with clients as well as for myself. Also never use this method when snagged in a bush or tree, you'll end up with a bunch of line tangled in the branches.
I read this one just last night and had the opportunity to put it to the test this morning. Worked like a charm! Excellent little tip, thank you!

herkileez

Reaction score
I had a problem with thin mono running lines escaping from and wrapping around open-cage reels. I experimented with closing the gap by applying a drop of UV Knot-sense at each of the 4 contact points. ......worked like a charm and haven't had a problem since.
Reel Fix.jpg

jfh245

Reaction score
These two have probably been posted previously, but after taking a huge header on Sunday (wading boots with studs) and a knee that blew up like a balloon, I'm now wearing a pair of contractor's type knee pads under my waders. No falls, but it was much more comfortable kneeling to change flies and bumping into obstacles climbing streamside. Sunday was also the one day I forgot to put my cell in a baggie...…...needless to relay that result, but the Verizon store was happy to sell me a new iPhone.