Little tricks to share

Steelhead Junkie

Reaction score
Very nice buoy!! And very nice tips everyone. One I use that looks strange but cheap and can save you big bucks is to:

1. Get that old fly line with the weak spots that you don't hve the heart to throw out, a brass snap swivel, like bass fisherman use, a pair of scissors and a safety pin.

2. Cut a length of that fly line that is long enough to reach from the front of your vest to the pocket that you keep your fly box in with a little slack and add 4"-5" for knot materials.

3. Tie one end of the line to the snap-swivel, the other end to the safety pin.

4. Your done!!! Just pin the safety pin to the front of your vest and clip the snap-swivel to the lanyard hole located on your fly box. Now you have a lanyard that holds your fly box even in current.Plus, if you use a floating line for the lanyard you can easily see the boxe's location ,if the pin for some reason the pin comes undone, if it sinks. (The lanyard will float, showing the boxes location.)

Sasha

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Make sure when practicing catch and release to follow some basic fish proper handling methods.

1. Don’t place the fish on the ground, rock, snow, etc. for a photo.
2. Make sure to wet hands before you pick up the fish.
3. Don’t squeeze the fish or use a towel to hold it.
4. Return the fish back to the water as soon as possible.
5. Make sure to revive the fish prior to letting it out of your hand/s.

I am sure I am forgetting some so I will add more as I think of them.

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Make sure when practicing catch and release to follow some basic fish proper handling methods.

1. Don’t place the fish on the ground, rock, snow, etc. for a photo.
2. Make sure to wet hands before you pick up the fish.
3. Don’t squeeze the fish or use a towel to hold it.
4. Return the fish back to the water as soon as possible.
5. Make sure to revive the fish prior to letting it out of your hand/s.

I am sure I am forgetting some so I will add more as I think of them.
Hold the fish belly up Sasha?a fish is far more quieter in that position.

Steelhead Junkie

Reaction score
And should you catch a large bass or crappie (or VERY large 'gill) don't hold them in their upright swimming position by their lip only. It can break or strain their jaw. Hold them either vertically or horazontally with a supporting hand near the tail. And yes, thank you a lot.:thumbsupu:clap:

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I don't often take photos of fish, but when I do, I try to do it with the fish remaining in the water.
Granted, you don't get the full effect, but it's better for the fish.

FISHN50

Reaction score
10 more items I posted this a while back, but it's worth posting again... It's from our CJTU website

10 STEPS TO SAVE A TROUT'S LIFE !!!

1) USE BARBLESS HOOKS--OR CRIMP THE BARB WITH A PAIR OF NEEDLE-NOSE PLIERS. THIS NOT ONLY MAKES HOOK REMOVAL EASIER BUT ALSO PREVENTS INTERNAL DAMAGE TO THE FISH. IF YOU USE BARBLESS HOOKS, THE ONLY WAY YOU'LL REALLY HURT THE FISH IS IF YOU HOOK IT IN THE GILLS. IF YOU KEEP A TIGHT LINE,YOU'LL LAND JUST AS MANY AS WITH BARBED HOOKS.

2) LAND THE FISH AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE, ESPECIALLY DURING WARM WEATHER. THE SHORTER THE FIGHT THE BETTER CHANCE IT WILL SURVIVE.

3) USE A LANDING NET WITH SOFT COTTON MESHING - IT MINIMIZES DAMAGE TO THE FISH. COARSE NYLON MESH CAN CAUSE INJURY AND INFECTION. AVOID BEACHING THE FISH ON DRY LAND.

4) MAKE SURE YOUR HANDS AND NET ARE WET. THE MUCOUS COAT OF THE FISH PROTECTS IT FROM BACTERIAL AND FUNGAL INFECTIONS. THE LESS YOU DISTURB IT, THE BETTER.

5) TRY NOT TO LIFT THE TROUT ALL THE WAY OUT OF THE WATER. TURN THE TROUT UPSIDE-DOWN IN THE NET. THIS USUALLY PARALYZES HIM MAKING HOOK REMOVAL EASIER. HOLD THE FISH GENTLY IN THE MIDDLE OF THE BACK, USING THE NET TO IMPROVE YOUR GRIP. DON'T SQUEEZE THE FISH, ESPECIALLY AROUND THE MID-SECTION.

6) USE FINGERTIPS, OR BETTER YET, MEDICAL FORCEPS TO GRASP THE HOOK CLOSE TO THE HOOK EYE. CAREFULLY EASE THE HOOK BACKWARDS UNTIL IT COMES LOOSE. AVOID CONTACT WITH THE GILLS. IF THE HOOK IS SWALLOWED TOO DEEPLY, JUST CUT THE LINE AS CLOSE TO THE MOUTH AS POSSIBLE. THE COST OF THE HOOK IS NOT WORTH THE TROUTS LIFE.

7) SLIDE THE TROUT OUT OF THE NET TO A POINT DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF YOU.
HOLD THE FISH FACING INTO THE CURRENT, SUPPORTING IT WITH BOTH HANDS--ONE BENEATH AND BEHIND THE PECTORAL FINS, THE OTHER LIGHTLY ENCIRCLING THE WRIST OF THE TAIL. AVOID STRONG CURRENTS THAT WILL SWEEP TIRED FISH DOWNSTREAM. MOVE THE FISH SLOWLY AND GENTLY IN A TIGHT OVAL, KEEPING THE FISH COMPLETELY SUBMERGED AND ALWAYS FACING INTO THE CURRENT.

8} DON'T LET THE TROUT GO UNTIL IT IS FIGHTING TO GET OUT OF YOUR GRASP.

9) KEEP AN EYE ON THE FISH FOR AS LONG AS YOU CAN. IF IT STARTS TO TILT OR TIP, RE-NET IT AND TRY AGAIN TO REVIVE IT.

10} REMEMBER THAT WHEN THE WEATHER IS WARM THE FISH ARE ALREADY STRESSED. SO RELEASE THEM AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE.

crittergetter

Reaction score
I loved this book. "Lefty's little tips 200 innovative ideas for improving your fly fishing"

It is in a series of 4 books "Lefty's little library of fly fishing"

Here are a few

Never put your rod or tackle on the roof at the end of the day.
Removing the curles from the fly lines
strip out about 40' or more loop it around your ball hitch 20' out and apply pressure to with a steady pull. The curls will disappear. Slip the line around your ball hitch​
Dope your flies ahead of time - "Don't waste time on stream dressing your flies. When you finish tying your dry's apply dry fly oil
My favorite!!!! --- Boots by the furnace or campfire are NO NO's!!!! :&O

fyshstykr

Reaction score
A little trick I learned from "The Traveling Flyfisherman" tour years ago was to get your boots wet before you put them on.
When you get to the river grab your boots and dunk them in the river or put them under the tap at the campground, maybe even the tub at the motel. lol

Go about getting your rod ready, preppin the boat, finishing your Coffee and Blueberry Bagel, or whatever..... Just let your boots soften up and stretch out a little before you put them on, this really makes it much easier. :biggrin:

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
Carrying a pair of scissors onstream let's you tweak flies if you need to.

I often tie spinners "in the round" with no wings, just a wrapped hackle collar.

You can use them to skitter across the surface to imitate the females that fly along the surface dipping their abdomen in the water to drop eggs, and/or the mating swarms that sometimes fly just above the water.

Or you can trim the bottom by cutting a small "V" notch in the bottom to sit lower in the water (but still be easy to see because of the hackle on top).

or cut top and bottom, just leaving the fibers sticking out on the sides for a spent wing spinner that fishes in the film.

You can also give dry flies a haircut to turn them into emergers or cripples. And the "V" notch is handy on other dries- it's one way to correct problem flies that don't ride correctly like ones that tip forward, or fall over etc.)

And sometimes streamers with a lot of flash attract fish, sometimes it seems to scare them. If you tie them with flash, you can always do some snipping to turn them into stealth fighters, trim to match the size of bait, get them to ride true, cast better or sink faster. i learned this one night fishing with Kenny Vanderlaske after I ran into him on the beach one night. He was an excellent mentor and very generous with his time and advice helping me get started in SW (and one of the reasons i keep recommending newbies join a fly fishing club). We ran into a cinder worm hatch one night- a small marine worm that swarms around the new and full moons. Neither of us had anything that small, and weren't getting any love from the fish, even though striped bass were swirling and slurping all around us in the dark. He trimmed the tail off a small deceiver and was instantly into fish. He and his wife Lori now guide on Marthas Vineyard, and are two of the best fly fisher folks i know.

mark

racine

Reaction score
For those of you who may use the Loon fly drying crystals with the little indicator that turns pink when they are "spent". Rather then buying a new batch; which Loon would love you to do, put the crystals in a small pie tin or pyrex baking dish. Put the oven on 150 degrees, and bake until the pink crystals return to the original blue color. They work just like new.

Dan
Great trick Dan. I'm gonna have to try that! Thanks.
Racine

Steelhead Junkie

Reaction score
Very good tip on the spinners peregrines. And good tips all. Keep 'em comin':frogdance:frogdance

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
I've got one. When you've snagged your fly ......Raise your straight up keeping the line tight and then roll cast above and past the object you are snagged on.. .
If that does not work, reel the line in till you have the line tight with top of the rod almost straight up. Grab the line between the reel and stripper guide and pull it out sideways from the rod keeping the line tight and the rod well bent. Release the line and a nano second or two behind drop the rod tip and the immediately pull back on the rod. It sends a shock wave down the line and pops it off opposite the direction it went on. I have found if it does not come off in three tries it isn't going to. This works best with the more "stretchy" mono, but still works with a fly rod. The longer the tippet, the better.

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thank you all for taking part in this thread:icon_smil
Mark great tip as usual;)I knew an old hand who used this scissors method and he dind't want to waste bigger feathers of his Metz capes...he also used a similar one burning the tips of the hackles under the fly to shorten them and make the flies float better in fast waters...not very nice but it works;)

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Trick of the week.How to choose good flies for fast and pocket waters.
I haven't bought flies for long but here's a little trick you can use when you buy some in a flyshop.Take the fly beteween your fingers about one foot above the shop counter or the glass of the shop fly display box...the higher they bounce the better they'll float...funny...try it!it's not a joke:smile:

HuronRiverDan

Reaction score
Like the sound of that JBB, I'll have to give it a try. Now here is another money saver idea for those who use "Dry Fly Floatant" paste. The product is called Abilene and it is basically the same thing as Gherkes Gink floatant. It comes in 1 pound tubs and you get it at beauty supply shops. I got this idea from a guide I know in Grayling.

Dan

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
trick of the week:catch your fly in a high branch.
Several methods have been given on this thread to get a fly stuck somewhere.Sometimes it's stuck in a little branch you're not tall enough to get...so either you hire a NBA player for the day or have a 2m tall friend like I do(but he's not always here:biggrin:) or use your rod and line like illustrated on the photo to pull down the branch and then grab it...

Last edited:

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Carrying a pair of scissors onstream let's you tweak flies if you need to.

I often tie spinners "in the round" with no wings, just a wrapped hackle collar.

You can use them to skitter across the surface to imitate the females that fly along the surface dipping their abdomen in the water to drop eggs, and/or the mating swarms that sometimes fly just above the water.

Or you can trim the bottom by cutting a small "V" notch in the bottom to sit lower in the water (but still be easy to see because of the hackle on top).

or cut top and bottom, just leaving the fibers sticking out on the sides for a spent wing spinner that fishes in the film.

You can also give dry flies a haircut to turn them into emergers or cripples. And the "V" notch is handy on other dries- it's one way to correct problem flies that don't ride correctly like ones that tip forward, or fall over etc.)

And sometimes streamers with a lot of flash attract fish, sometimes it seems to scare them. If you tie them with flash, you can always do some snipping to turn them into stealth fighters, trim to match the size of bait, get them to ride true, cast better or sink faster. i learned this one night fishing with Kenny Vanderlaske after I ran into him on the beach one night. He was an excellent mentor and very generous with his time and advice helping me get started in SW (and one of the reasons i keep recommending newbies join a fly fishing club). We ran into a cinder worm hatch one night- a small marine worm that swarms around the new and full moons. Neither of us had anything that small, and weren't getting any love from the fish, even though striped bass were swirling and slurping all around us in the dark. He trimmed the tail off a small deceiver and was instantly into fish. He and his wife Lori now guide on Marthas Vineyard, and are two of the best fly fisher folks i know.

mark
Mark

Very good point. I had a guide the other day using scissors to trim the legs on chernobyl ants, he didn't like the length of the legs. I definitely need to get myself a pair to carry.

Larry

Frank Whiton

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi to all,

I carry scissors anytime I am fishing. I like the Tiemco Scissors. They have large finger holes and serrated blades. I bought them for Kevlar thread back in the Seventies and still use them today. The Holdzit is a great little holder to keep the scissors in. I have a pocket on my vest with a chain inside. I fasten the Holdzit to the chain and put the scissors in side the Holdzit. Then the whole thing goes inside of the pocket and there is no worry about getting stuck. A very satisfactory system.

Frank

Tiemco Scissors

Holdzit