little truckee report

Bigfly

Reaction score
That's too bad.....
Not the snow part, just the outcome.
The only time I fish out there is bad weather.
Can usually wack'em anyway I want. Dry, bobber, or streamer.
Usually pretty quiet as well.
Unlike the sunny days.......

Jim

satyr

Reaction score
I like fishing out there. Nice and quiet. Some days I kill em, some days they kill me. That is exactly my favorite kind of water though.

Bigfly

Reaction score
After graduating to the big T, I rarely fish it. It was kinda like a pacifier till I got teeth.
Also realized that as a guide, I was part of the pressure problem on the LT. Foot races to fish are not my style...
Fish it well, consistently, and you can raise your fishing ability to an export level......
Not just by fishing the 5 holes....but by locating them, in-between the holes.
Fishing the LT at 100cfs or lower is shooting fish in a barrel, and not a measure of fish ability....but you can probably touch fin....on a dry...ouooooo!
Small stream hydrology teaches us how big water works. How to judge depth, and weight for the speed of the water. But also to read the structure to find that pressured fish, who isn't in the holes that others pummel.

Bigger harder fish await.

Jim

Last edited:

satyr

Reaction score
Since I almost never fish 'holes' I was probably not part of the problem. I much prefer moving water and that stream has some beautiful water.

Bigfly

Reaction score
Satyr.......didn't think you were a problem!
It is a cute stream.
Shout if ya come up.

Jim

satyr

Reaction score
Not to worry, I didn't think you were. And I agree with your sentiment.

If I ever get up that way again during fishing season I'll be sure to touch base. Usually I am there in July or August to laze around by the lake and hike and kayak.

Bigfly

Reaction score
Come up DURING fishing season....
Aug ain't it. Especially this year.
May not have, but a warm trickle.

Jim

satyr

Reaction score
Yes, summer is not the fishing season up there but the wife likes it there in the summer. I especially appreciate the beauty of the landscape up there and the hiking/backpacking is some of the best with somewhat less elevation required than when in the Sierra a little further south.