Livingston Rod Co - Fiberglass Rods

sasquatch7

Reaction score
I deleted my posts after reading up on Dusty via the link del gue provided .

Apologies to plecoptera for my being a grouchy azz this morning . Happens a lot lately .

rsagebrush

Reaction score
DelGue,
Actually no it's a first person thing now so it does have some gravitas as it's straightforward and clear. Plecoptera did not do so,
but now it is clear, so my apologies.
I too looked on the fiberglass forum and indeed see a problem this year with his promises and deliveries.
He has certainly let the ball drop on that one and he is apparently responsible for damaging his own business, it will take a long time to build back that trust, a bad business practice, generally fatal.
I was moderately interested in his work due to all the positive reviews but probably not so much now.

frickerdog

Reaction score
The first I heard of any issues others have had with Livingston was when Del gue PM'd me asking about my buying experience and when I had ordered. He sent that PM when he saw my post in this thread about having received and fished with my Livingston rod.

I ordered mine in early August and received it in late October, after a promise of mid/late September at the time of order. I had to call Rusty and text him more than once throughout the process to check on status and there was a period of about 3 weeks or so when he was largely non-responsive. This gave me a some frustration/concern and made me question his business savvy, but at that point, I hadn't yet paid, so I wasn't losing sleep.

What's very strange about those who never received their rods despite having paid before I even put in an order is that I actually changed my order on October 7 when he returned my call after I had left a message. I changed the blank color and the threads during that call, and he said, "Yeah, I have those in stock, so I'll start this one tomorrow." He also apologized for the delay in that call saying that he had supply delays from his wood supplier.

As mentioned, that call/revised order was on 10/7. He sent me a photo of the rod drying on 10/14. He invoiced me on 10/16. I paid on 10/18. He shipped on 10/21. It arrived 10/23. I had no intention to pay until I saw a photo of my rod, either in process or finished form and he did not ask for payment anytime before that.

I do have one question of those who paid and did not receive: What model did you order?

The reason that I ask is that Dusty really steered me towards a Western Glass 8'6", despite my interest in the YS Dry Fly 9'. He was a bit dismissive of his own product and just kind of said "I've had some issues with that line, so I am not selling those anymore." That made me wonder what the issue was with that rod.

Last edited:

del gue

Reaction score
Like I said, he is a gifted and able rod builder...if you can get the rod. I'm sure you'll enjoy yours and catch many fish with it! I currently have a 5 wt that I bought last year, and it is a fine rod.

Last edited:

knotjoe

Reaction score
He has certainly let the ball drop on that one and he is apparently responsible for damaging his own business, it will take a long time to build back that trust, a bad business practice, generally fatal.
Perhaps in your world, but certainly not the case in rodbuilding world. Same for suppliers of rodbuilding components in some cases, it's can be a ridiculously frustrating endeavor to deal with them.

Thus far, I've been to scared to even hit the buy button for rodbuilding supplies in this pandemic era. Just as stupid as I always was so I'll probably place a couple/three orders soon anyway, but I know how it's gonna go.😧

Check your pm messages, I'm not kidding about some of this.

del gue

Reaction score
OK, I've validated what Plecoptera originally said. I've going to remove and/or edit most of my posts in this thread. I didn't post in this thread to trash talk, only to validate. I'll leave the link for informational purposes.

akuriko

Reaction score
The first I heard of any issues others have had with Livingston was when Del gue PM'd me asking about my buying experience and when I had ordered. He sent that PM when he saw my post in this thread about having received and fished with my Livingston rod.

I ordered mine in early August and received it in late October, after a promise of mid/late September at the time of order. I had to call Rusty and text him more than once throughout the process to check on status and there was a period of about 3 weeks or so when he was largely non-responsive. This gave me a some frustration/concern and made me question his business savvy, but at that point, I hadn't yet paid, so I wasn't losing sleep.

What's very strange about those who never received their rods despite having paid before I even put in an order is that I actually changed my order on October 7 when he returned my call after I had left a message. I changed the blank color and the threads during that call, and he said, "Yeah, I have those in stock, so I'll start this one tomorrow." He also apologized for the delay in that call saying that he had supply delays from his wood supplier.

As mentioned, that call/revised order was on 10/7. He sent me a photo of the rod drying on 10/14. He invoiced me on 10/16. I paid on 10/18. He shipped on 10/21. It arrived 10/23. I had no intention to pay until I saw a photo of my rod, either in process or finished form and he did not ask for payment anytime before that.

I do have one question of those who paid and did not receive: What model did you order?

The reason that I ask is that Dusty really steered me towards a Western Glass 8'6", despite my interest in the YS Dry Fly 9'. He was a bit dismissive of his own product and just kind of said "I've had some issues with that line, so I am not selling those anymore." That made me wonder what the issue was with that rod.
I'm Curious what problems he has to say he's not selling a rod series anymore,, what is the Rods fault or problems, that makes me wonder, his graphite rods look amazing.

~Akuriko

magicmike

Reaction score
I had spoken to Dusty during the summer, and he has had a lot of issues getting components and materials for rolling blanks. I know he had good stock on his fiberglass material, but his graphite and hybrid materials he was completely out of. He was also out of reel seats and wood inserts, and a lot of that stuff was on back order. I can imaging its hard to roll a blank on a taper designed for a specific material using another completely different material and expect the same results. The YS series is a hybrid glass/graphite blank, and requires a special prepreg. As far as his graphite offerings they are very nice. I own his Traditional graphite in 8'6" 5wt. It is a fantastic dry fly rod.

Livingstonrod

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I obviously need to address some of the issues the company has had this year. I have had a severe supply issue with a supplier of mine that I have relied upon since 2014. I finally received the supply just last week. That being said it was misjudgement and a mistake on my part to invoice for rods when I was waiting for said supply, even though it was promised that the supply would be delivered countless times. It ultimately is my fault and my responsibility. With that said I am starting to get caught up and the refunds and rods owed will be delivered in the near future. I am rectifying the supply chain problem this winter and it won't happen again. The concern about not backing my YS Dry Fly is due to my original supplier of that blank, CTS, not offering third party blank design and sales and I have run out of the stock.
Now on to the positive. Blank design and production on my Fiberglass Rods has gone very well. My Western Glass and smaller stream rods are all designed and have successfully been made. The 4pc 7wt and 8wts are delayed but have figured that design out and will start producing them this month or next. I will be ordering more mandrels this month to be able to start producing my im6 type Traditional Graphite Blanks in house. My new rod/blank series YS Glass will also be in production shortly.
Thanks to all of you for your patience, the process it took to get the blank factory going in the middle of COVID was challenging and the speed bumps have been massive. There is good stuff to come...

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I obviously need to address some of the issues the company has had this year. I have had a severe supply issue with a supplier of mine that I have relied upon since 2014. I finally received the supply just last week. That being said it was misjudgement and a mistake on my part to invoice for rods when I was waiting for said supply, even though it was promised that the supply would be delivered countless times. It ultimately is my fault and my responsibility. With that said I am starting to get caught up and the refunds and rods owed will be delivered in the near future. I am rectifying the supply chain problem this winter and it won't happen again. The concern about not backing my YS Dry Fly is due to my original supplier of that blank, CTS, not offering third party blank design and sales and I have run out of the stock.
Now on to the positive. Blank design and production on my Fiberglass Rods has gone very well. My Western Glass and smaller stream rods are all designed and have successfully been made. The 4pc 7wt and 8wts are delayed but have figured that design out and will start producing them this month or next. I will be ordering more mandrels this month to be able to start producing my im6 type Traditional Graphite Blanks in house. My new rod/blank series YS Glass will also be in production shortly.
Thanks to all of you for your patience, the process it took to get the blank factory going in the middle of COVID was challenging and the speed bumps have been massive. There is good stuff to come...
Thanks for responding to this thread. I do believe if would serve you well to list warranty/repair info on your website.

Livingstonrod

Reaction score
My website is getting a complete overhaul this winter. Once I have all of my Traditional Graphite and YS Glass designs finalized it will be my next priority. There will be a warranty section but as a reference it's $75 to replace a section and $125 for the butt. Small odds and ends will be less with $35 for shipping/handling. Rods/Blanks pre this year will be more difficult to warranty since I didn't roll the blank but going forward will be relatively easy to warranty.

Southerncaster

Reaction score
I'm considering a 6wt glass rod from some yet to be determined maker.

To the owner of Livingston Rods I would maybe suggest, if you are starting to experience an overwhelming demand for your products, would it not be a good idea to set up a waiting list in which no money is paid to you by a customer until you are ready to build his rod and have all materials and parts at hand. Then at that point you can request a down payment to get started and the remainder at time of rod completion.

Some very successful small shop custom luthiers, i.e., musical instrument builders, do that sort of thing as they often can have extremely high demand with long waiting periods. Just an idea.

Last edited:

Birdland

Reaction score
I've never ordered a rod from Livingston, but have contacted Dusty with questions and he always responded quickly. I have an 8' 5wt Livingston glass rod that I bought second hand from the original owner and love it. It was made before he started rolling his own blanks, but put wrapped, etc. in his shop. Really smooth and I enjoy being out casting it even if I'm not catching fish. Hopefully any issues he has had will be corrected.