LL BEAN - NEW- Glass rods

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
That is interesting. I have a graphite LL Bean Pocketwater rod, 6'10" 4-wgt. I observed once that it has all bases covered: it is made of graphite, it bends like glass, and it is painted to look like bamboo. It is actually a pretty nice little rod. I wonder what these actual glass ones are like.

I just looked online and they don't seem to carry the old graphite Pocketwater, this new one must have replaced it.

redietz

Reaction score
They do, but it is tucked away down in the lower right hand corner of the ad, under "Additional Features."
I managed to skip right over the weights in that section; I only saw the number of sections. About what I thought, though.

Nonno

Reaction score
That is interesting. I have a graphite LL Bean Pocketwater rod, 6'10" 4-wgt. I observed once that it has all bases covered: it is made of graphite, it bends like glass, and it is painted to look like bamboo. It is actually a pretty nice little rod. I wonder what these actual glass ones are like.

I have their 7'6" 4wt PW and have the same feeling.

I just looked online and they don't seem to carry the old graphite Pocketwater, this new one must have replaced it.
And the Pocket Water reel is now called a Double L standard arbor.

iv_wjb

Reaction score

I have one of those, too... It’s a nice little rod. I enjoy fishing it, when I get the chance.

ddb

Reaction score
The blanks look a lot like those from the discontinued ECHO glass rods.... Does anyone know LL Bean's supplier of these rods?

Aluminumchef

Reaction score
The blanks look a lot like those from the discontinued ECHO glass rods.... Does anyone know LL Bean's supplier of these rods?
Discontinued? Still making the river glass and bag rods. Was that yellow ever an option? Blanks are probably from same source, painted when built.
I dig the color though.

dennyk

Reaction score
That kind of takes me back to the old Eagle Claw / Wright McGill yellow. I do like the retro look.

I had the glass 6 piece Trailmaster, tied to the frame of my Schwinn Collegiate back in my pre driving days. It was the spin/fly combo.

Denny

ddb

Reaction score
Aluminumchef,

There was an earlier series of ECHO glass rods prior to the River Glass that look a lot like the new LL Bean rods.

kanokie

Reaction score
I bought the Pocketwater Glass 4-wt combo (7' 6" rod & matching Double-L standard arbor reel). I chose this model as an entry-level fiberglass rod, and I have been very happy with it. For me, the action is smooth and slow. Furthermore, an 8-10" bluegill or redear will put a tremendous bend in the rod. As a disclaimer, I must say that I had been using graphite prior to this rod, so I can't say how the action compares with other fiberglass rods. It is a relatively inexpensive fiberglass rod, so it probably doesn't perform like the high-priced options.
The Double-L standard arbor click-and-pawl reel is attractive and simple (you use the palm of your hand as a drag). I'm planning to order a spare spool the next time LL Bean sends me an e-mail with a coupon code.
You can get a good discount if you apply for a new LL Bean Mastercard an charge your purchase to the card.
All in all, it may be a good choice for someone who wants an economical light-weight fiberglass rod and a simple click-pawl reel.
Also, someone asked about the manufacturer--while I do not know the name of the manufacturer, I can tell you the paperwork indicates it is made in Korea.
Best wishes.