Location Recommendations

Reaction score
My wife and I are planning a trip this upcoming July. We will have a 4x4 vehicle to get us into most locations that are vehicle accessible, but could use some input from others for where to fish. Current plan would have us driving from Anchorage, up to Fairbanks area, then southeast to Kennecott, then back to Anchorage. Fly-in trips, from what I have seen, are out of our budget. We are looking into guides for at least one day of guided fishing, potentially in the Fairbanks/Yukon area, as I would like to catch a Dolly Varden! Plus I'll be fishing every chance I get off the road, near campsites, or during hikes.

We welcome any guide recommendations, river recommendations, or other thoughts/tips. When thinking rivers, I'd rather fish a less productive river to steer away from crowds than to fish a productive river with 300 of my closest friends.

Reaction score
Between Anchorage and Fairbanks you could drive and fish along the Denali Highway, which is gravel, not paved. I have had good grayling fishing there. The Denali Highway starts at Cantwell, just east of Denali National Park. The are several air services in Anchorage that offer same day fly out trips. Do your homework before hiring one of them so you don’t get bamboozled like we did.

Denduke

Reaction score
You’ve got plenty of time to research and get great info from Ak guys on this forum. We made a trip last July so my input would be limited. The best mountain scenery to me is south of Anchorage however and DollyVarden/salmon are mostly in the coastal rivers not inland. Grayling are more northern/ inland. Rather than typing I would rather PM phone numbers and I’ll talk your head off what I learned as tourist. My trip post prep is kinda long and is in other Ak category, FliesForAlaska and here is trip summary....

Last edited:
Reaction score
Great info y’all! I had heard it was possible to fish off the Denali highway but after every post mentioning it I will be diving into that. Looks like I have a ton of other forums to sift through as well thank you, keep it coming!

Reaction score
You’ve got plenty of time to research and get great info from Ak guys on this forum. We made a trip last July so my input would be limited. The best mountain scenery to me is south of Anchorage however and DollyVarden/salmon are mostly in the coastal rivers not inland. Grayling are more northern/ inland. Rather than typing I would rather PM phone numbers and I’ll talk your head off what I learned as tourist. My trip post prep is kinda long and is in other Ak category, FliesForAlaska and here is trip summary....
Thank you for the share, tons of great information to look into. Even restaurant recommendations! Seems like ya'll had a wonderful trip full of more than just fishing, exactly what my wife and I are looking for!

Denduke

Reaction score
We rented a 4by Tundra at the airport and drove it all over even on unpaved roads but the rental agreement said not to. It had a bed cover which made it nice for securing gear. Reserving truck ahead doesn’t necessarily guarantee they’ll have one. Especially with the auto/chip shortages and rental companies buying lots of used stuff instead of trying to just use new stuff... All I’m saying it ain’t just a given lately. Two of our party that came a day later had to search and rent an older work truck from an individual cuz none left. We booked 4 months in advance didn’t seem to matter. I think there’s auto rentals like AirBnBs nowadays???? Others can chime in on this. Lotta fishermen with rod cases in the airport.
Pics are at Talkeetnah. I thought skeeters down here in the marshes are bad they’ll carry you off in ‘Laska!
002970E9-3007-464B-957B-C23FE234A310.jpegC4F1CEED-0254-429E-B99A-C8B132D40D60.jpeg

Last edited:

thom

Reaction score
Others have lots of good info. For pre trip planning a couple of sources may help you. Good luck!

A copy of “Highway Angler” by Pedersen is useful to locate places less fished, yet still road accessible.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/highway-angler-6-gunnar-pedersen/1115381873

Check out past Alaska fish and game agency reports for the areas you plan to visit. A little time here will help you understand run timing, occurrence, etc.

Denduke

Reaction score
AmericanAirlines charged $25 for first checked bag, 50 lb., $50 for second bag. I carried 85% of the tackle for 5 people in my 2 bags. 6ea 4 piece flyrigs, 5 telescope lil spin rigs,etc. Float trip shore lunch and general map where we went. Guides had ereything even boots if needed. Very low water and late salmon runs impacted our trip. Freelanced all the creeks. The locals were great; exchanging flies and info!
5A7DC7FA-437C-47F6-A417-A6719A43704F.jpeg4C010ACC-BB18-4172-8257-D5CDE62C1686.jpegEFF916EF-BF73-46F4-981A-9D6C6D808739.jpeg

Last edited:

GloveMan

Reaction score
Without a doubt you need this Book. We planned our whole trip using it. https://www.amazon.com/MILEPOST-202...cphy=9025052&hvtargid=pla-1566008428072&psc=1

The Milepost can get you all the information you want. If you go down the Kenai you can fish all along the way. Dollies are so easy to catch that you can't miss. Any stream dumping into Turnagain Arm will have tons of them if the salmon are up and spawning. Easy fishing can be found on the Kenai - Anchor River, Hidden Creek, and "The Braids" on the main reiver, and Sheeps Creek going north to Denali as well. The Grayling are silly easy to catch as well. Check out the Brushkana, https://www.blm.gov/visit/brushkana-creek-campground You can catch all the Grayling you want just from road side pull offs or walk from the campground. I caught a 100 a day. Good luck!