Long Overdue;

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
I should be a lot more careful about taking selfies. The driving reason I don't want anything but my hands in a fish picture is that I seldom see a photo of me that I don't think looks dorky. Now that I've got that off my chest I'll tell you what's long overdue.

For years I've had the Simms Foul Weather Hat, fleece lined Gore Tex shell with ear flaps and a Velcro chin strap. I didn't like it originally because I figured I'd look like a dork with it on but years of brutal weather conditions led me to make it the Go To fishing cap once things got ugly.

This isn't the cap for days that start cold but warm into the 40's or higher because they are really warm. They are just what you need once the rain starts pelting down and with the hood of a G-3 or G-4 jacket up and the cap underneath you will remain toasty warm and bone dry. For wind that chin strap will prevent any risk of it being blown off your bean and I love it for running the boat once things get cold.

That's ice flowing past in the image and if you caught the Last Cast video I posted that cap was strapped down while that little cruise was going down.

Gear Rating from a guy who can live with looking a little dorky is Five Stars for this cap.

If you are into the winter fishing scene maybe consider one of these for the sake of your pretty head.

flytie09

Reaction score
I’ve got something similar I picked up several years ago. It’s a Wool military ball cap with the ear flaps. Coupled with a Carhardt beanie with ear flaps.... I can laugh at the cold.

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
I have a January trip planned in a cold climate, I will investigate Thanks

kev

ps. do you ever have a sunny, 60 deg. day with Bluebirds singing in the background:ROFLMAO:
Sometimes it's downright hot here, sometimes too hot too long but once those days get short and dark no Blue Birds or sun buddy.

You have my word that it'll do what I said Kev. If I could change anything I'd make them about 1/4" larger diameter at the headband but they probably fit everyone who doesn't have a hog head just fine :)

MCHammer

Reaction score
I also have that hat, and can second everything Ard said about it. With the chin strap pulled up over the top, it leaves your ears out when the weather is too warm but you don't have another hat. It's an Elmer Fudd hat in Gore-Tex instead of plaid. But with the flaps down it is warm and waterproof. With the strap fastened under your chin, it's bombproof.

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
Simms currently has it on sale - exstream hat

Might not be around too much longer. I have a similar hat from Outdoor Research which was also discontinued.
Thanks, probably time to order a back up in case I live another 10 years. I have a few gear items still in their packaging because at this point I've learned to be ready for discontinued status on really good things.

Matt4.0

Reaction score
You have my word that it'll do what I said Kev. If I could change anything I'd make them about 1/4" larger diameter at the headband but they probably fit everyone who doesn't have a hog head just fine :)
I wish Simms would either make multiple sizes of their winter headwear or make the “one size fits all” a bit bigger. I bought their thinner wool hat with fold down ear flaps a couple years ago...which is now property of the wife as it won’t fit my head. I also have the exstream beanie and it’s not so small I can’t wear it, it definitely could be a bit larger (I will say that is one WARM piece of headwear...only other problem is the insulation is so thick I can’t hear crap with it on. Lol)

And while my head isn’t small I’m not on the “super large” end of the spectrum either.

Reactions: Ard

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
I hear you Matt but believe it would take a regular petition drive to influence them to upsize a bit. I may have used the term 'hog head' describing why I thought mine could stand to be bigger but it comes down to it having plenty of room in the crown. It's the head band itself that could use another .25". As long that my hair keeps thinning it fits better every year at this time. Just relax, once your hair thins those caps you have are gonna be just right :)

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I'll play, I like dorky (functional) hats and regard them as equipment when it comes to fishing. I like Ard's Simms hat, Simms has a history of producing some fine fishing hats and then discontinuing them in favor of logo truckers hats. I own a sequence of fleece, ear flapped Elmer Fuds and my newest and now favorite one is this waxed cotton, long bill with polyester insulation and fleece ear flaps.

T20 024 Long Bill Winter Hat C.jpg

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Ard

+1 for the Simms Foul Weather Hat! That is my foul weather hat, I don't care if it looks dorky or not, I want to stay warm.

Reactions: Ard

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
Ard

+1 for the Simms Foul Weather Hat! That is my foul weather hat, I don't care if it looks dorky or not, I want to stay warm.
Finally, the other 20K poster!

I hear that Larry, not saying anyone's choice is wrong or not as good but ......... I've been fishing in foul weather for a long time, if it's only cold I may reach for the Tuntutuliak fur that an Elder made for me years ago after I spent some time in Western Alaska.

I'm not sure there is a warmer hat than those made by Native Alaskans but if it's going to rain even beaver fur can let you down. The Simms Gor Tex is pretty warm and they really are the most water resistant hat / cap I've ever owned.

I chose the fur over the Gor Tex on the day above because it was -8 degrees at the boat launch when I headed out that day. If you are wondering why that river isn't frozen that water is an outflow from one of the largest lakes in my part of Alaska. The outflow of the big lakes is sort of like your tailwaters below dams with the outflow coming from the deeper water in the lake which is much warmer than the ambient air. The image is from Thanksgiving day 2016, shelf ice will eventually form but one the day the picture was made we were just one week into a serious plunge in temps in that part of AK.

Yep really cold, I don't do that anymore. I'll be here putting a log on the fire this Thanksgiving day but I caught fish...............

Notice the big long Wilkinson Sunray stuck to the lower jaw? That day worked out except for the frostbite that kept my hands numb for several weeks. No tissue loss this time but numb for a long time, fully recovered now and won't go back. Caught 8 Silver Salmon and 2 Steelhead but it was brutal.

Simms needs to upsize sizing. They think everybody lives on grain and runs 5 miles a day. I really like their clothing but need to be mindful of sizing.
I've often felt that they were semi discriminating against tall guys with big heads :) For instance if you wear Long size waders you can't get zippered unless you order custom. They do however provide good sleeve length on everything I've used so I can't complain about any more than cap sizing and zippers :)

Last edited: