Looking at an Iceland DIY trip. Where to start?

cwb124

Reaction score
Hey folks, 2 buddies and I are set on hitting Iceland next summer or worst case summer 2022. We are all on the east coast of the US so flights are 'reasonable'. We are interested in some adventure aspect so rustic accommodations and/or camping is definitely on the docket. We are interested in big browns and char. Not interested in salmon.

Our biggest question is WHERE do we want to focus? Ideally, we aren't taking additional flights within the country to fish places far from Reykjavik but if that's where the best fishing is, maybe that's what we have to do. We will be hitting Lake Thingvellir for those big browns but mostly we'd like to focus on moving water, ideally with single handed rods. I think the browns and sea run fish come in on the south side of Iceland so maybe we just rent a car in Rey and drive a south coast loop? I've looked at some websites and found a little information here and there, but nothing real extensive. Anyone with experience doing a trip there for fishing? Thanks!

CB

jayr

Reaction score
There was a thread on here in the last year or so regarding Iceland fly fishing and as I recall, it had a LOT of good info in it.

Go to Google and search the NAFF Iceland term and see what pops up.

Here's the thread I was thinking of:

Last edited:

huronfly

Reaction score
Better bring lots of money, it's not cheap to fish there. I did for one day(guided) and caught plenty of char and lost a couple nice browns. Can't really help you with the diy stuff tho...

ryc72

Reaction score
im curious as well. everything that i have read online made it sound like diy fishing in iceland is not easy as a lot of the water is private and requires a guide.

cwb124

Reaction score
So I've researched a bit and DIY is definitely possible. But you will need an outfitter or service that will book the permits and maybe cabin/accommodations for you. You can do it all without a guide, but you have to buy the permits through a service. I've been in touch with a couple, although email responses have been quite delayed or nonexistent, which is disappointing. So there is very limited permits on a particular lake or river, or section of lake or river per day. They call them 'beats'. It costs $$$ but you will not be within sight of anyone else and you will feel like you are totally in the wilderness fishing with just your party.

What I don't know, and I'd love it if someone here can answer or explain it to me: It looks like multiple outfitters are selling the same 'beats'. And let's say a particular beat is limited to 4 rods per day. Does each outfitter have 4 rods to sell, or does that river simply have 4 rods to sell, and whichever outfitter sells it first wins? I can't really figure that out.

And yes as Huronfly mentioned, bring lots of money. Luckily we are not interested in salmon fishing, only brown trout and char fishing so that saves us a little bit but not a ton. Most 'beats' are between $150/day and $350/day per person. There are a couple that are higher, and the lake with the monster ice age browns up to 30lb can be as much as $950/day for 2 rods. There's actually two prime beats on that section of lake and the way it works is you buy 2 rods worth, and then you switch halfway through the day with the 2 rods that are on the other section of prime beat. There's also a couple places we found that are around $2,000 for two days of fishing for 4 rods, but includes a self catering cabin for two nights. If you break that down, it's not as terrible as it sounds if you have 3-4 people to split it with.

My buddies and I have a pretty good idea of what we want to do, and simply based on 2021 prices from one outfitter that got back to us, the cost per person for 3 of us to do this flying from the Eastern US will be around $4200-$4500 for 6-7 days of fishing. That includes airfare, 4x4 rental, all fishing permits, all accommodations, and estimated food/beer.

ryc72

Reaction score
Thank you cwb. Very helpful. All things considered it sounds kinda reasonably priced if your estimate is accurate. good luck getting the permits! Please keep us posted...interested in hearing about your plans and the hoops you have to jump through to make them happen.

cwb124

Reaction score
Yeah for an international fishing trip, not sure you can do any cheaper than that. I've looked at trips to Greenland and they were at least as much, but you were spending 6 days fishing for only one species with no chance for a by-catch. Not totally thrilled about that. Iceland is only 3 species really but it's still something. Kamchatka is probably $10,000 all in, Mongolia is $15k all-in. New Zealand, hell the airfare is at least $1500.

ryc72

Reaction score
when i read your initial discoveries i was thinking that your difficulty may be in getting the day pass to the beats for diy fishing if you were planning to go at a prime time. if i were an outfitter and had exclusive access to prime water i probably wouldnt sell that spot to people that didnt want a guide. im hoping thats not the case but from a capitalists perspective thats what would make the most sense.

cwb124

Reaction score
That does not appear to be the case at least from an interaction with one outfitter and looking at sites of a few others. Seems like you can just buy the permits ad hoc. They don't even seem to really push the guiding at all. Some folks offer hosted trips but otherwise it seems like guiding is secondary. Some do bundle cabins with the permits which frankly is ideal. I'd rather stay on the water than deal with a hotel. My party would prefer camping at least a few days but dragging all that extra stuff over there....no thanks. Rustic cabins seems to be a great compromise.