Looking for a portable rotary tying vise

bob3700

Reaction score
I am in the market for a rotary tying vise that has it's own stand. I see several brands that range from $150 and up. I am not interested in a $400 vise, just something that I can put into a kit and take with me.

Any thoughts on what brand of vise to look at and what features are useful?

Bob

planettrout

Reaction score
I started with a Thompson many years ago and finally upgraded to a Renzetti Traveler in 1999 when they were going for about $150.00. I have never regretted that decision and for me it is the perfect fit. It has been to a lot of different fly fishing locations. A quality vise is a very personal decision and there are hardcore fanatics for other brands. I have probably tied well over 15,000 flies on my vise through the years. The latest low end Traveler is the Traveler 2000 Cam Vise Pedestal Base Model. It may be viewed here:

A couple of years ago I purchased The Presentation 2000 Cam Standard Pedestal Base Model so that I can let my son or grandson to use The Traveler:

Spend some time making your decision. You will want to use your purchase for a long time...

PT/TB

JoJer

Reaction score
I saw one once that had been redesigned with a wood screw thread on the bottom, size to snug between the boards of a park campsite table or screw into a tree stump. That sorta traveling.

ts47

Reaction score
What all of them ^^^ said. The Renzetti Traveler can be purchased with a base or a C-Clamp. I own two. One sits on my trying desk. The other in my tying kit that travels with me.

cphubert

Reaction score
Danvise I know a couple of commercial tiers that use them with the extension for larger hands but not left hand friendly with extension.

durangobrad

Reaction score
Wolff atlas can be found for around $150. I have one. Came with a clamp and a pedestal base. Full rotary. Strong jaws.

Sent from my F1 using Tapatalk