Looking for a simple waterproof hip pack

caddis75

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm working my way down to a minimalist approach to fly fishing. I am looking for a simple waterproof hip pack that will hold a water bottle, a lunch, one small fly box, and a light jacket for long days on the water. I wear a lanyard for my tools and keep my fly box in my Reddington front zip waders.
I currently have a Vevadoo Seam Sling and I do not like it for three reasons: Can't easily fit a jacket, my water bottle falls out and the clip opens and spills my boxes into the damn river too often.

Thanks all.

Jason (aka caddis)

corn fed fins

Reaction score
You can start with a search:

Simms
Fish Pond
Patagonia
Orvis
Umpqua

I was looking at several. If I pull the trigger on a new one, I'll let you know. Lol

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

boisker

Reaction score
I’ve been using the SIMMS dry creek z hip pack for the last 2 seasons... love it, keeps the weight off my shoulders and has a slot down the back of it for my net.
The rivers I fish mean I regularly wade deep, so I had to go for a fully waterproof option. At 11 litres there is plenty of room for what a jacket and water bottle etc.

Avidone1

Reaction score
I just ordered the fishpond West Bank wading belt it has slots for fish pond packs etc. I really like that you can hang a pack behind you but slide it to more frontal position for easy access They make high end products at reasonable prices

denver1911

Reaction score
Fishpond Thunderhead has served me well from full-day 5+ mile hike-in trips in the Appalachians to all-day flats walks on Kiritimati. Simple .. not a bunch of pockets and do-dad attachments. Waterproof. Holds rain gear, jacket, lunch, water and/or filter, fly boxes, etc.

caddis75

Reaction score
Fishpond Thunderhead has served me well from full-day 5+ mile hike-in trips in the Appalachians to all-day flats walks on Kiritimati. Simple .. not a bunch of pockets and do-dad attachments. Waterproof. Holds rain gear, jacket, lunch, water and/or filter, fly boxes, etc.
That's exactly what I am looking for. TY

randyflycaster

Reaction score
I love my Simms, especially because it has a shoulder strap, so when I unbuckle the belt I don't have to hold the pack to keep it from falling.

Randy

denver1911

Reaction score
B84919EF-6092-4098-AA67-CC938F6D6C96.jpg

Even makes a good bag for travel on your way to the next fishing trip. Fits under the seat in front of you.

I added the bottle pockets on the outside.

buffler razz

Reaction score
I was in the same search, ended up looking at my sons waterproof sling pack and picked up Fishponds Thunderhead Sling pack. I realize you are looking for a hip pack, but I am very happy with the sling style. Used a non WP hip pack for a few years. My sling is very comfortable, easy to slide into “access mode” , has a nice sleeve built in for a net handle, room for my ever present rain jacket and the occasional can of rocky mountain spring water stuffed in an insulated can coozy.

denver1911

Reaction score
In case there is any question .. yes, mone is a waist pack. The padded waist straps tuck in and it includes a shoulder strap as can be seen in my photo.

denver1911

Reaction score
I like the Mountainsmith dry tour with the strappettes.
Didn’t know it existed. It didn’t when I switches from the tour to the Fishpond Thunderhead. I was extremely satisfied with the Tour .. except for the non-waterproof part. Too many dunkings and Instarted looking for a replacement. If I were buying today, I might jump on the Tour dry version. It doesn’t hurt that the Fishpond bag has the same name as my go-to dry fly for Smoky Mountain National Park trout.