Looking for some help, advise, suggestion or tips about the Owhyee River

brkncly

Reaction score
So my son & son in law have an Owyhee fishing trip planned for the 2nd week in April. Only been there a few times and have been skunked. Looking for some advice, tips to hopefully make it a successful trip. Trying to find as much intel as I can before we go. Been told skwala’s or stimulator would be the ticket but then been told that the water will be low also. What would you guys recommend for drys and subsurface flys and what methods of fly fishing. Thinking both dry and nymphing. Like a said I really don’t know much about river other than to fish under the dam, any other place along the river you guys recommend? Any insight would greatly appreciated. If you have any advice, tips, location or flys you can DM on the side. Thanks you for helping a father and his sons out. Have a great week!

tcorfey

Reaction score
Here is a good article on fishing the Owyhee. Hope to get up there myself sometime.
https://www.bestfishinginamerica.com/or-owyhee-river-fly-fishing-brown-rainbow-trout.html

Techniques & Tips
Long leaders of 12ft 5/6x hunting the flats with dry flies. Midge patterns in size 20-24 under a Skawala dry and BWO emergers in 20-22 will work

Latest report from https://idahoflyfishingreport.com/report/boise-local-fishing-report-march-12th-march-12-2021

by TRR Outfitters on Fri, 03/12/2021 - 12:05pm

Owyhee River Fishing Report
Skwalas have begun to make their annual appearance as adult sightings have been confirmed! As the temperatures warm up into spring, expect the river conditions to improve. Water levels are still holding at winter flows of around 30cfs, but that flow should bump somewhere in the first couple weeks of April. With the low flows, a preferred technique would be to run a Skwala adult and drop a small midge or Baetis BH nymph below. The midge activity has been consistent, and if you head out to the river on an overcast day with some rain, you may run into a prolific BWO hatch. Make sure you have a good assortment of small Adult midge/emergers as well as BWO’s. There has been some success slow swinging leeches and buggers throughout the flats.

Idahoflyfishmn

Reaction score
So, where are you staying when fishing the O? The Owyhee is getting a lot of pressure right now (and until May 31st, when the South Fork of the Boise River re-opens). Fishing has been +/- Some great days, some average. Dry fly fishing has been 'off' for the past year or so, with most of the better fishing being traditional indicator nymphing, and streamer fishing. With a little more information, I could provide a great deal of information. DM me, and maybe I can bet of more specific help.

brkncly

Reaction score
@Idahoflyfishmn we really don't have a plan on where we'll be fishing. We're coming through Vale but staying in Boise. I guess anywhere from the rock bridge towards the damn. If you have any insight or suggestions, you can PM if you don't want to blast it on here. Thank you for the help!

ifitswims

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The best trips I have had on the o were in Nevada. What an overlooked and underutilized resource. Killer memories working in the field and running into gems like this.