Looking for some trout/fly-fishing in MO

Orey10m

Reaction score
My girlfriend lives in St Louis and I've been meaning to try and find some fishing opportunities when I'm in town some time.

Ultimately I really like fishing for trout in rivers..that's what I'm posting to hopefully find more info about, and maybe someone to fish with sometime. It seems I've gotta drive a good ways for that from St Louis. I plan to try out the Meramec river a couple times and maybe little piney creek, again with the consideration of drive time from St Louis.

While rivers and trout are my main thing right now, I'd be interested in checking out other Missouri options like
- rivers for smallies on the fly
- kayakable rivers or flat waters for warmwater species
- carp on the fly
- whatever else that I don't know about

What are your suggestions for me to get started finding some good water/areas to explore? Should I connect with a fly fishing club in town? Are there any good and active ones?
Should I get a guide a couple times and then maybe try to take what they teach me and expand on the water in the area I fish with them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kevind62

Reaction score
The Perfect Fly Store (online) always has some good generalized info on trout waters in every state. You can also google Trout fishing MO and locate fly shops with fishing reports and river specific info. Though I've never fished MO, I think most of the trout waters are in the south and west part of the state. Several areas down in the Ozarks and several areas in the middle/south part of the state with spring fed creeks and rivers.

spm

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Kevin is correct in that most trout rivers are in the Qzarks. There are several trout parks in the state, too. Also, as Kevin said, google trout fishing in Missouri. The Department of Conservation has a lot of information. Missouri Department of Conservation There are a couple good fly shops in StL; FeatherCraft and T.Hargrove, being the two that I am familiar with. They are within a couple blocks of each other. I favor T. Hargrove, but FeatherCraft is also good. Both staffed with friendly and helpful people.

Good luck, and let us know how you did.
steve

ggriffi

Reaction score
My girlfriend lives in St Louis and I've been meaning to try and find some fishing opportunities when I'm in town some time.

Ultimately I really like fishing for trout in rivers..that's what I'm posting to hopefully find more info about, and maybe someone to fish with sometime. It seems I've gotta drive a good ways for that from St Louis. I plan to try out the Meramec river a couple times and maybe little piney creek, again with the consideration of drive time from St Louis.

While rivers and trout are my main thing right now, I'd be interested in checking out other Missouri options like
- rivers for smallies on the fly
- kayakable rivers or flat waters for warmwater species
- carp on the fly
- whatever else that I don't know about

What are your suggestions for me to get started finding some good water/areas to explore? Should I connect with a fly fishing club in town? Are there any good and active ones?
Should I get a guide a couple times and then maybe try to take what they teach me and expand on the water in the area I fish with them?

Welcome,

Here's a few of links that may help you out. The first has a several dead links but there is some good info there.

Fishing the Missouri Trout Parks-Bennett Spring, Maramec Spring, Montauk, Roaring River

https://mdcgis.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapJournal/index.html?appid=a942f532bf0e46eb98c79c7b187a6ebe

https://mdcgis.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=84db9caa3cdd4f32a20aa11d6f68bfc5

jangles

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Marana ,Hellazonia . Idaho , Utah , Mt , NM and Wy
Montauk = combat fishing . I learned there in the 70s . Siren blows and people get stupid . Follow the river south out of the park , I think it's called Jacks Fork and get into some good smallie fishing . Kayaking too . I used to float and dive the caves on the way down . Lots of Wardens , be cool , they have jets on small jons .

0bie

Reaction score
Both Ozark Flyfishers and the Gateway Chapter of Trout Unlimited are pretty active in the St. Louis region, and I'd second the idea of swinging by Hargrove's Flyfishing when you're in the Saint Louis area and asking around about fishing options. It's a pretty cool place.

Orey10m

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the info! Very helpful to a first time poster (maybe second?)

If you want some fish pics, my buddy just caught this with me this morning out of a kayak here in Georgia. Nice fish! (I know I know..here I am talking about trout and fly fishing and this was neither haha)

brownbass

Reaction score
Here is another helpful site. It offers info on river conditions for popular rivers. The FATC have group trips going out at different times but they may require membership to participate. Meramec River below Meramec Springs hold trout but in the summer your more likely to find bass but it is one of the closer rivers. Contact them and maybe they can fix you up. The MDC has good information on trout fishing in Missouri. What part of St. Louis would you be starting from?

Bill

Orey10m

Reaction score
Here is another helpful site. It offers info on river conditions for popular rivers. The FATC have group trips going out at different times but they may require membership to participate. Meramec River below Meramec Springs hold trout but in the summer your more likely to find bass but it is one of the closer rivers. Contact them and maybe they can fix you up. The MDC has good information on trout fishing in Missouri. What part of St. Louis would you be starting from?

Bill
I'd be starting from right in the city ..Central west end is what I believe her neighborhood is called.
Thanks, I think you left off the website you referenced though.

brownbass

Reaction score
I'd be starting from right in the city ..Central west end is what I believe her neighborhood is called.
Thanks, I think you left off the website you referenced though.

Sorry, Orey, This is the websites river levels site. http://https://www.flyfishersatthecrossing.org/education/. Scroll around the site there is some helpful information on it. Central West End is a pretty good haul down to some of the streams we fish. We do have people coming from Illinois regularly to fish with us so it's not an impossible task.

Bill

al_a

Reaction score
If you want "real" trout fishing, forget about the trout parks. I find them to be crowded with a lot of idiots and bait fishermen, and a very artificial type of fishing. Some people like them, but I have a lot against trying to catch a trout that was in a concrete tank two days ago.

The trout streams fall into two categories. There are those stream sections that are downstream from the mouths of the spring branches where the trout parks are (Current River below Montauk, Meramec River below Maramec Spring (yes, the different spelling is correct), and Niangua River below Bennett Spring. There are about 25 miles of the Current below Montauk that furnish good trout fishing, about 7 miles of the Niangua below Bennett Spring, and in reality on your closest river, the Meramec, only about 3 miles of decent trout fishing below the spring. They tend to have quite a few other anglers but are usually not even close to being as crowded as the trout parks, and at least most of the fish have been there a while and had the time to start to act a little more like wild trout. And then there are the stream sections that are not below the trout parks but are fed by enough good sized springs to stay cold enough for trout. Some of these (Blue Springs Creek, Mill Creek, Crane Creek) are small and can be exceedingly tough fishing, especially when low and clear, but the trout are wild and naturally reproducing. Crane Creek and Mill Creek have nearly pure strains of McCloud rainbows, a strain of rainbow that is nearly extinct in its native range, the area around the McClloud River in California. They were stocked in these Missouri streams many years ago and have naturally reproduced ever since. Others of the trout streams are larger, like the Little Piney, Eleven Point, and North Fork. These streams, in my opinion, are the premier Missouri trout destinations. They ahve wild, naturally reproducing rainbows (brown trout are also stocked in the North Fork) that can get big, and are simply gorgeous streams...the Eleven Point and North Fork are big enough to be floatable even with drift boats.

Your problem is that few of these streams are anywhere near St. Louis. Your closest trout stream is probably Blue Springs Creek, and it's probably the toughest stream to catch a trout in of all them. The Meramec is second closest, and while it doesn't have a good reputation these days, you can catch trout from it if you know what you're doing. The best one within reasonable driving distance? Probably the Current below Montauk, though the Little Piney has its moments.

As for smallmouth fishing, there are a LOT of miles of smallmouth streams of all sizes within an hour or two of St. Louis. The larger streams almost require floating in a canoe or kayak...wading is barely viable. You can rent kayaks from various liveries on the Meramec, and of the streams within a couple hours of St. Louis, you might most enjoy Huzzah and Courtois creeks, which are very clear, twin gems, both of which have large liveries on them. There are liveries on Big River and Bourbeuse River, both of which are good fishing for smallmouth and spotted bass (the spotted bass are invasive in these streams, so if you like to eat fish don't feel bad about keeping some spotted bass for the table). Local anglers in the know have their favorite wading size smallmouth creeks, but I'm not going to publicize any of them for two reasons...one, they can't take a lot of pressure, and two, wading size streams are private in Missouri and those of us who fish them do so by the grace of the landowners.

Orey10m

Reaction score
If you want "real" .
Wow thank you for the detailed response! That is more than gracious, and exactly the type of breakdown/commentary I was looking for

Orey10m

Reaction score
The Meramec is second closest, and while it doesn't have a good reputation these days, you can catch trout from it if you know what you're doing.The best one within reasonable driving distance? Probably the Current below Montauk, though the Little Piney has its moments.

As for smallmouth fishing, there are a LOT of miles of smallmouth streams of all sizes within an hour or two of St. Louis.
Hello again all,
I think the weekend after next I may be able to do some fishing for the first time in Missouri. Looking forward to it.
I am very grateful for the detailed responses above, and was wanting to just follow up to better understand what might be fishing well this time of year?
You see I'm thinking of taking the girlfriend with me for one night and booking a stay at an Airbnb nearest to one of these streams, so we can fish some Saturday evening and Sunday morning, then drive back to St Louis.

Should I try the Little Piney and target finding an Airbnb in towns like Jerome, Newburg, or Yancy Mills? Is that a good area to be looking in?

Or outside of these, does anyone know of an Airbnb listing on some water somewhere? warmwater species fishing would be fine too like smallmouth

Orey10m

Reaction score
Any idea if there are some carp or other "fly fishable" warm water species in this big area of the meramec near St Louis that I've screenshotted and attached it here? I've never tried carp fishing on the fly but this seems like a decent place to look. Anyone tried it?