Loop to loop fly line to leader

Kieranmc1872

Reaction score
I have been using the loop to loop connection to join my fly line and leader however I’ve just realised that my leader seems to be cutting into my fly line, damaging it. How could I resolve this? I would still like to use the loop to loop but are there any tips on how to stop it from damaging the fly line. E.g a larger diameter leader, some sort of substance...
Any tips will help thanks !

Crocwrestler

Reaction score
When a gentleman with the handle “Ard” chimes in on this thread and mentions his braided loop connectors, you should buy a few and your problem will be solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ryc72

Reaction score
You should definitely buy ards braided double loops. All of my loops intact since buying them. With your current line, cut off the busted loop, seal off the end with some glue or epoxy or nail polish, and put on one a single braided loop. You’ll never notice that the factory loop has been replaced.

thomasw

Reaction score
Using braided mono as your fly line endpoint is even lighter than the factory welded loop. Use the appropriate breaking strength for your intended use. For trout 25 lb test is enough, but for salmon and steelhead perhaps 35 lb is more appropriate; for tarpon and marlin using 50 lb would likely be key. I find working with the 25 lb braided mono to be the most challenging, but I do use this method instead of the factory welded loops for reasons of durability, strength and less mass.

HTH

osseous

Reaction score
Take an old leader. Tie a nail knot in the end of your fly line with it. Tie a perfection loop 1' from the nail knot. Loop to loop between this perfection loop and the one in your new leader. Be sure to set the loop to loop knot- and that it resembles a square knot and not a pretzel. Fish!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

dennyk

Reaction score
When a gentleman with the handle “Ard” chimes in on this thread and mentions his braided loop connectors, you should buy a few and your problem will be solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Welcome to the forum! I use Ard's braided loop connectors on all my lines-the loops look like new. You can PM Ard if you are interested, he's also an administrator of this site.
Ard click on Ards name to send him a message.

Denny

bumble54

Reaction score
There is a right way and a wrong way to connect loop to loop. I now use loop to loop exclusively for my fly fishing but I also use a tapered silicon knot cover to keep things smooth and to keep the loops in the correct position. You can slide them off the loop and leave them on the leader to change leaders. I remove the coating from the line and whip a loop with the core and cover it with Aquasure to stop water ingress, line coatings are always susceptible to damage and I don't like braided loops because they rely on gripping the coating , not the core, Yes I did use them in the past but never took to them. I've used just about every connection there is in the past but prefer to whip the loop myself now.

flav

Reaction score
All you really need to do is use a leader with a larger diameter butt and it should solve the problem. I've been using loop to loop connections for about 20 years, and the only times a mono leader has damaged a loop is when I used too small a diameter leader.

Flyfisher for men

Reaction score
Search for the "Castwell knot."

To go with it, a 4" or so piece of 20lb. test with a perfection loop or surgeon's loop on each end. Tie the fly line more or less permanently permanently to one end using the castwell knot,and then use the other end to make a loop to loop with your leader.

As far as strength, I've had it sufficiently handle big carp making long powerful runs and at least one big flathead catfish. If you search for the knot and you find yourself reading its namesake directly, you'll see him say it never failed him in decades of fishing. (he didn't know the name of the knot, so he named it after himself).

hatidua

Reaction score
I simply cut off the loop if it's damaged and whip another one on there. Losing an inch of the fly line each year isn't really a loss as I doubt I'll get more than two years out of a fly line at most before it gets retired.

For heavy saltwater use I go with a braided loop, for the little freshwater lines I just re-tie a new loop on there periodically.

swfl daz

Reaction score
I simply cut off the loop if it's damaged and whip another one on there. Losing an inch of the fly line each year isn't really a loss as I doubt I'll get more than two years out of a fly line at most before it gets retired.
Pretty much the same here - I use factory welded loops and/or whip my own. 99% of my fishing right now is salt/brackish with 7, 8, and 10wt rods and I really don't have an issue with the leader loop cutting into the fly line. That said, I do think that leader diameter makes a big difference in whether or not the mono/flouro cuts into the fly line loop - Thinner leaders, sure, bigger stuff not so much. The first section of my tarpon and big snook leaders are 60#, and the lightest I use is 25#.