Lower Sac in mid April

edsly42

Reaction score
I am planning to drag my boat down from Central OR to float/fish the Lower Sac in April. Never been, excited to check it out. Looking at the historical flows, it looks like it typically bumps up around then, average cfs going from ~6000 to ~7000 over the period from ~Apr11 to Apr 25.
1612897001662.png

Obviously every year is different but I'm wondering if that increase usually throws off the fishing. Otherwise, it seems like a good time to fish, with warming weather and spring hatches.

Thanks

Bigfly

Reaction score
You are correct, it's always a question.....
Since we aren't out of winter yet. Hard to say.
Not much snow so far..
If we don't get much more snow, then the melt may be earier, or later with cool weather.
Yes, it moves fish around, but I've learned that a flush carries freshly scoured food.
You won't be alone.
Be safe.....
Discovery bay is a good place to get settled in.

Jim

edsly42

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Jim. I'll keep an eye on it.

What do you mean by "Discovery Bay is a good place to get settled in"?

FlyTierant

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Jim. I'll keep an eye on it.

What do you mean by "Discovery Bay is a good place to get settled in"?
I caught this on the lower Sac Monday. Caught about a dozen, all over 14” at least four were 20”.
It was my first time fishing that river, what a great place.
Struck out in the Trinity yesterday trying for steelhead but it was great to be floating the river. BFA26466-1D88-4119-B624-FB138D45F346.jpeg

Bigfly

Reaction score
If you stay in the"bay" you don't need a shuttle...
It's pretty easy pickens..
Google it...

Jim

Last edited:

J.K. Bailey

Reaction score
I might be wrong but me thinks Jim got his Bays mixed up. Discovery Bay is down in the SF Bay Delta. Good place to settle in if, chasing stripers. Though, most likely with a power boat.... Turtle Bay is up in Redding would be more conducive to floating and fishing for trout. There are shuttle options up there so you don't have to be limited to just fishing the area around the launch....

Last edited:

Bigfly

Reaction score
I might be wrong but me thinks Jim got his Bays mixed up. Discovery Bay is down in the SF Bay Delta. Good place to settle in if, chasing stripers. Though, most likely with a power boat.... Turtle Bay is up in Redding would be more conducive to floating and fishing for trout. There are shuttle options up there so you don't have to be limited to just fishing the area around the launch....
Yep....I pay a high price for dislexia. ..
Turtle bay is a better call.
And there are shuttles, but many just float the bay and take out.
I love doing the whole float down to the RV park. Just thought it would be easier if he was solo and stayed in the bay. Look at pics...often the sundial bridge is in the background.
Sorry for confusion..

Jim

dude02

Reaction score
The Lower Sac is closed from from Keswick Dam to the Highway 44 bridge from April 1 - July 31. You can put in at the Posse Grounds (Turtle Bay) and float down and start fishing once you go under Highway 44.

gbslade

Reaction score
The closure is true at least until May. The new (March 1) regs say that the salmon/steelhead supplement will be out in May. They’ve changed a lot in the regs. Who knows what they’ve done to the supplement.

dude02

Reaction score
I had assumed that they were making this permanent. Don't understand the delay with the supplement, but it is California. It's not closed tomorrow so I will be out there.

edsly42

Reaction score
I'm 3 weeks out from the trip now. I'm guessing the flows will be manageable as there is not a ton of snow? A couple questions:

Is there a good short float or wade area this time of year? We'll be rolling in to town around 4 and thought maybe we could fish a few hours before dark. It looks like Posse grounds to Bonny would be perfect but you can't fish until below the 44 bridge?

Sounds like caddis are winding down and it's more of a pmd/stonefly show now? Preferred flies? I've found recommendations on the fly shop pages but welcome any other advice too.

Thanks.

dude02

Reaction score
You can put in at the Kutras Boat Ramp. That is how Google Maps names it. I've always called it Park Marina. Some call it Aqua Golf. Regardless, you can put in there and row out and go through a chute (look at the aerial) that is an outlet for the pond. Just center your boat and go straight and you will have no problems. There are no snags or obstacles to worry about. This will cut off the top 1/3 or more of the float from Posse to Bonneyview. Or if you don't want to deal with that, just go out and up and get into the river below the Bechelli Lane bluff.

I'd stay river right for Wyndham Riffle.

The Fly Shop will have you covered with flies.

ifitswims

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have never fished this river yet many of my acquaintances over the years have and the fish seem to be some of the most consistently beautiful rainbows.

J.K. Bailey

Reaction score
I'd put in at Posse and float to Bonnyview. You only lose about a mile of fishable water on the top end. When you hit the 44 bridge stay river left and drop your flies in on the left just after the bridge. You could also do Bonnyview to Anderson.... As was said above check out The Fly Shop. They will have a page for river reports and it will key you in on the current bugs..... Good Luck. Let us know how you did

edsly42

Reaction score
Thanks JK.

Any estimate of how many hours for these floats, say posse-bonnyview and then bonnyview to Anderson?

Also, any forecast on the flows? I see the flows have bumped up from ~3500 to ~4500. Guessing there are more increases to come but any way of knowing when or how much?

Thanks

dude02

Reaction score
A straight drift from Posse to Bonny is about 2 hours (no fishing, ramp to ramp). You can do this as short as 3 hours (fishing straight down) or you could make it longer with back-ups. Probably fishing 90% of the way.

Bonny to Anderson, straight down, no back-ups, couple of stops for flies and fishing 85% of the way is 4.5 - 5 hours, ramp to ramp (no lunch). You can make a day of it or not. You can make Anderson to Balls Ferry in 3.5 to 4 hours fishing straight down and rowing through frog water (which there is a decent amount of at low flows). My guess is we fish about 75-80% of the water on this run.

I wouldn't worry about flows. They will steadily increase for ag use but there won't be radical spikes.

edsly42

Reaction score
We're headed down tomorrow, hoping to get an afternoon float tomorrow. Fired up. Any final suggestions? Flies, techniques, etc? Also, I see the flows bumped up from ~5000 cfs to 6200 over the last few days. I'm guessing that shouldn't throw off the fishing too much? Thanks.