Mary's first time Tenkara fishing

dpnoll48

Reaction score
Yesterday my wife Mary spent a half day fishing with Mike Warren, a Tenkara guide from Lacrosse, Wisconsin. I felt it would be better for both her and I if she learned from a guide who is used to working with beginners. We met at a designated spot and, after gearing up, they headed downstream and I headed upstream. When I came back 2 ½ hours later they had already landed about 12 fish but had no photos since they had both left their phones back in the cars. I stayed with them and was able to get a few pictures. Mary Fishing.jpegMary Kissing Fish.jpegMary and Mike.jpeg

patrick62

Reaction score
Acquaintance of mine read about Tenkara, decided to give it a try. Consulted with me, wound up with Dragontail Mizuchi zoom.

Took him to a heavily (and recently) stocked put and take stream, where the gullibility of the trout is offset somewhat by trickiness of terrain. Meaning, among other things, his first casting experience was backhanded.

But since he's coming from spincasting, that is not as much of a stretch as it might be otherwise.

I set him up with my favorite popper-dropper, with a heavy jig/tungsten size 12 Bread and Butter nymph doing the work.

After a couple of flailings he quickly found a rhythm and, half an hour in, landed his first trout on his new rod.

"Hey! I think I got something!"

The moment of triumph

dpnoll48

Reaction score
Acquaintance of mine read about Tenkara, decided to give it a try. Consulted with me, wound up with Dragontail Mizuchi zoom.

Took him to a heavily (and recently) stocked put and take stream, where the gullibility of the trout is offset somewhat by trickiness of terrain. Meaning, among other things, his first casting experience was backhanded.

But since he's coming from spincasting, that is not as much of a stretch as it might be otherwise.

I set him up with my favorite popper-dropper, with a heavy jig/tungsten size 12 Bread and Butter nymph doing the work.

After a couple of flailings he quickly found a rhythm and, half an hour in, landed his first trout on his new rod.

"Hey! I think I got something!"

The moment of triumph

Very nice!