Midge???

Mlatimer

Reaction score
Very small cream colored gnats had a hatch on the caney fork yesterday afternoon. I believe them to be midges but I don’t know for sure. This midge dry matched pretty well. What species fits the bill? Trying to learn as much as I can about them. I have seen them several times before and they seem to be the predominant aquatic insect on the caney.

Attachments

mike_r

Reaction score
I fish the Caney as well, and have experienced some strong hatches of cream midges from late summer into the fall there. I would consider them to be midges if they have one set (2) of wings. They are pretty small but I can typically get away with up to a sz 20 bh pupa or a 22 dry. Nice job catching fish up top! Most Caney Fork fishermen mainly use indicator rigs and bh pupa patterns. Hope they keep the 250 flow going. Did they ever get the bubbler or oxygenating device working again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hcrum87hc

Reaction score
I experienced a hatch similar to this in Pisgah last week. It occurred in the mid afternoon. We could see fish rising continuously, but couldn't elicit a strike. They were very very small flies or gnats. My guess was also a midge. We tried to match them, but still couldn't get anything more than a few follows.

trev

Reaction score
I have seen similar tiny bugs many times at this time of year and the light colored bugs I've caught looked like caddis to me, but I'm not an entomologist. Last week the trout were feeding heavily just below the surface and occasionally at the surface with leaps that indicate a bug about to escape. A tiny cream bodied bug perched on my finger for a moment. A #22-24 caddis like fly caught a few fish. I tie these with pale thread bodies and a down wing of grizzly or dun hen neck fibers used like hair with no hackle. A soft fine hair, used sparse, might work for the wing. (squirrel guard hair?)
I tend to think most midges are black as adults. Those I don't try to imitate but use a pupa like tie with red or black thread bodies and rib with fine silver wire making a gill with white poly yarn at the eye.
Both flies should fish in the film if tied on dry fly hooks.

silver creek

Reaction score
Very small cream colored gnats had a hatch on the caney fork yesterday afternoon. I believe them to be midges but I don’t know for sure. This midge dry matched pretty well. What species fits the bill? Trying to learn as much as I can about them. I have seen them several times before and they seem to be the predominant aquatic insect on the caney.
The only way to be sure is to catch some of them in a sampling net. It is pretty easy when there are a lot of them on the water.

Use a nylon paint strainer bag over a landing net to "screen" the water and you should be able to tell midges from small caddis and mayflies very easily. It is a DIY Quick Seine. Buy them at Lowes or Home Depot.

Grizz900

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I was a rookie last night trying to tie my first midge. I don't have any resins yet or uv light but I have some cream silky fibers from Anrico Puglusi. so I use some and forgot to at least put that small plastic strip on the back. i could have put it on but the only thing holding it on would be the wire and it was real thin that someone gave me yrs ago. it was gold in color.

put a small gold bead head so i might get some takes. Maybe a 10 lb trout

philly

Reaction score
A few years ago a group of were camping on Pine Creek in NC PA hoping for a Green Drake hatch. Several of us were out on the river around dusk when small white insects started hatching. It looked like a fine white snow rising off the creek. I was lucky that I had my midge box with me and there were a couple of size 20 white midge patterns. Whatever took them made short work of my 7X tippet. After dark we were sitting in the communal tent tying flies by Coleman lantern and glasses of good scotch, trying to match the unknown hatch. The Coleman lanterns were attracting insects, and we noticed a couple of small white mayflies, about size 20 sitting on the table near a lantern. The mystery was solved. There were several experienced fly fishers at the table. None of them was able to identify the may fly. Could have been a may fly hatch you saw.

bluewinged46er

Reaction score
On a separate note, do you think they will ever turn off the generators again? I have been in Nashville for a year and a half and with all this rain it has been long stretches in between fishing opportunities.