Mike-Rite Leader Gage FLY FISHING FISHERMAN GAUGE

vilinsky88

Reaction score
Hi all,
Does anyone know where I could find a Mike-Rite Leader Gage FLY FISHING FISHERMAN GAUGE? Does anyone want to part with theirs if they're no longer using it?
Please email me at [email protected] if you're interested. Thank you for your interest in reading my post.
Vlad

planettrout

Reaction score
Hi all,
Does anyone know where I could find a Mike-Rite Leader Gage FLY FISHING FISHERMAN GAUGE? Does anyone want to part with theirs if they're no longer using it?
Please email me at [email protected] if you're interested. Thank you for your interest in reading my post.
Vlad
It is unlikely that you will find the original made by Ned Grey whose long gone shop was just down the road in Montrose, CA...

Fishpond made a similar product but that isn't available either:

Good luck !!!

PT/TB

thomasw

Reaction score
I have been on the look for one too. Not readily available. Great for on the stream; I lost mine while fishing and I miss it. At my fly tying bench where I do leader construction and fly line attachments, I find a micrometer a most definite asset; although too encumbering to have on the river!

This is definitely a tool which fishpond or some other enterprising company should look at re-introducing. Fishpond's latest variation is just soooooo lame and limited...

trev

Reaction score
The last one I bought was from Feather Craft 2-3 years ago, but they show "sold out" at this time, I'd recommend everyone getting on the "notify me" list. If enough interest is shown maybe some one will pick up the production of them again.

Last edited:

desmobob

Reaction score
I always wanted to pick one up but never got around to it. :rolleyes: I would have used it today, when I got out some reels for a trip and checked/repaired leaders on the lines.

I'm surprised someone isn't making a similar, good-quality tool. Maybe it didn't sell well enough?

J

joe_strummer

The fishpond Firehole tippet gauges occasionally show up on ebay. I have three of those and a Mike-Rite. All the gimcracks and gewgaws on the market, and there isn't a single tippet gauge.

trev

Reaction score
My favorite tippet gage is the Orvis branded plastic V that I've had since back when, "70s I guess. Easiest to use because all sizes go in the same slot and where it gets tight determines the size. I had an early Mike-Rite and because I preferred the Orvis gave it away decades ago. But maybe 3-4 years ago it occured to me that I should have a spare and that Orvis no longer sold them, so searched the web and bought the current MikeRite, at that time several vendors had the FishPond version, but now it seems no one sells any version of tippet gage, might be a place to start a business?
I wonder why, or if, one could work out the way to 3D print them?

vilinsky88

Reaction score
The fishpond Firehole tippet gauges occasionally show up on ebay. I have three of those and a Mike-Rite. All the gimcracks and gewgaws on the market, and there isn't a single tippet gauge.
To whom it may concern,
I'm the gentleman who started this thread, you say you have 4 gauges? Would you be interested in selling one to me? I'd be very interested. Thanks again for responding to my thread. Sincerely, Vlad

J

joe_strummer

I'm hanging on to them. One is in my wading pack, one's on my boat, one's in my leader tying kit, one's spare. Just a matter of time before the one on the boat goes overboard.

It wasn't all that long ago that I bought the Mike-Rite from Feather-craft, and they still have the item on their site. Somebody ought to contact them and find out what they know.

trev

Reaction score
That's kinda why I ordered the MikeRite from FC too, so I could keep it with the leader kit and not have remove the Orvis gage from my vest, or use the machinist micrometer all the time. At the time there was guy on eBay that had lots them for sale at about the same price "more than __ for sale, sold __", looking back now, I wonder if he was closing out final inventory.

trev

Reaction score
I inquired by email at a smaller retailer that still lists the Mike-Rite in catalog and just received this reply "Sorry those are gone. I’m told the mold burned in a fire and there aren’t any more."

J

joe_strummer

maybe if we all got together and promised to split up a run of 10,000 of fishpond's old one, they'd do it.

thomasw

Reaction score
Hey, not cool. I'm the guy who started this thread looking for one....
Your post is not in the 'wanted ads' section. Like this one is on the same item. Your post just clearly expresses interest in a tippet leader in the 'other gear' section of the forum -- anyone gets to comment on it. As such, anyone can make a post that shows interest in the same thing, as I did. If you want that exclusivity to yourself, just make an advertisement when you are permitted. Often it happens that someone posts that they desire a certain piece of gear and another chimes in that they, too, would want the same thing, even in a tongue-in-cheek comment like I made to joe_strummer. I mean he has so many tippet gauges -- enough for you and I both :)