MONO LINES RIGS what are the pros and cons, your thoughts?

these go to 11

Reaction score
I guess you cut the hook off at the bend rather than just mashing down the barb?
It's not about catching fish. It's about the experience. Talk of cutting the hook off is just getting silly. I don't need to catch 50 fish, or a giant fish to have a good time. If it were just about catching fish I would run a bait caster and worms. Actually, if it were just about catching fish I wouldn't bother anymore. It's about the experience.

It's also an argument of semantics. I don't think mono is fly fishing. Who cares what I think? If you enjoy it then by all means have at it. I'd consider trying it, but wouldn't think I'm fly fishing. I don't fault anyone for choosing to fish the way they do. The only people I get angered by are poachers, or those who abuse the resource. Well those, and people who walk past my run and cast a shadow on a fish I'm watching, those who decide to fish 20 feet away from me on an empty river, loud talkers, and people who walk through your run when a trail is right on the bank. Wait... what were we talking about? I'm going to go yell at kids to get off my lawn now.

Last edited:

durangobrad

Reaction score
Since this started as a what are the pros and cons of a mono rig post, I will say that I use it quite often and there are a lot of benefits. Especially in versatility. Check out this site for lots of setup options and all the ways you can fish one - https://troutbitten.com/the-mono-rig/

his base setup is what I run. I have not fished dry flies on it yet, but I have one setup and will be giving dry dropper a shot with it tomorrow-saturday in the gunnison gorge.

I have used it or a variation of it for some time, for nymph and streamer fishing. I love having a tight line when a fish smashes a nymph or streamer. I enjoy it much more than watching a bobber. But certain water the bobber just gets a better drift, so I throw one on.

rsagebrush

Reaction score
I cast dry flies all the time with a Mono Leader also with a level Tenkara line on a Tenkara rod, I don't believe (know) the lure(fly) is casting the line in any way, so I guess it's fly fishing, I certainly believe so. I can also cast a fly line on both types of rods, does it then make it fly fishing?

old timer

Reaction score
I cast dry flies all the time with a Mono Leader also with a level Tenkara line on a Tenkara rod, I don't believe (know) the lure(fly) is casting the line in any way, so I guess it's fly fishing, I certainly believe so. I can also cast a fly line on both types of rods, does it then make it fly fishing?
How far can you cast the mono line with no fly on it in the wind?

rsagebrush

Reaction score
I wouldn't know how far as when I am fishing I generally use a fly, but all things being equal I would imagine just as far if not a bit further as there would be no fly to impede it. You seem to be trying to prove some point that may not actually exist.

boisker

Reaction score
How far can you cast the mono line with no fly on it in the wind?
how far can you cast a 1w fly line in the wind?
following the thinking behind your post through to a logical (or illogical depending how you look at things)... the most highly skilled fly anglers are those banging out a 7 W short headed line on a 5 w rod....
each to their own

trev

Reaction score
Disbelief that the ~40 grain weight of 30' nylon is heavier than <.1gn weight of the fly, belief that the fly is heavy enough to pull the line, which it isn't even if the nylon is 7x tippet. Old Timer, try an experiment take any dry fly attach it to any 20' piece of nylon then with your strongest hand throw that fly as far as you can, it won't carry the line. Try casting that unweighted fly with your lightest action spinning rod, you know that if that worked lot's people would do it.

Run off still high? My creek turned clear yesterday and dropped to only double the median flow, so maybe I'll get wet soon.

7wt DT on the 5wt rod count Boisker? I may have more skill than I thought, I used the 9wt Rocket on a 5wt before and the bass liked it.

rsagebrush

Reaction score
I have been using my OPST lines quite a bit lately, talk about overweight, they work great but delicacy is not their strong suite, it can be done but it takes some practice, much easier with a floating tip. Fly line weights on fly rods, it appears they're just a suggestion in the end.

old timer

Reaction score
Disbelief that the ~40 grain weight of 30' nylon is heavier than <.1gn weight of the fly, belief that the fly is heavy enough to pull the line, which it isn't even if the nylon is 7x tippet. Old Timer, try an experiment take any dry fly attach it to any 20' piece of nylon then with your strongest hand throw that fly as far as you can, it won't carry the line. Try casting that unweighted fly with your lightest action spinning rod, you know that if that worked lot's people would do it.

Run off still high? My creek turned clear yesterday and dropped to only double the median flow, so maybe I'll get wet soon.

7wt DT on the 5wt rod count Boisker? I may have more skill than I thought, I used the 9wt Rocket on a 5wt before and the bass liked it.
I thought Euro nymphing used heavily weighted flies? Why are we talking about a light dry fly? If you want to use a long piece of mono and call it a fly line. Be my guest. My definition of fly fishing is different than yours. It doesn't bother me how you fish. Why does it bother you how I fish? To me a proper fly line is made of silk. So what? Who cares? It's what I like.

Last edited:

trev

Reaction score
Yes, and you didn't answer the question.
Well actually that was directed at someone else, but back in March, I was putting tests on a new to me rod and running through the various lines to see what it would do, 12-15kt wind into and across with Amnesia 17'-21' with a yarn knot.

old timer

Reaction score
How about you fish your way and i'll do the same. No hard feelings. I know my way isn't popular except on a few forums. My hunting is similar. I guess I enjoy old ways better than modern ways. It's just my way and I enjoy it the most. I'm sure you're the same way.

Peace.

rsagebrush

Reaction score
OTimer, indeed I do fish with silk lines too. So use what you like and enjoy, but you keep trying to define a fly line for me and I see no real clear definition of what actually constitutes a fly line, other than a line that delivers a fly to the target. Some would say if your not using greenheart and horsehair well you just aren't fly fishing, but I am not one of those. Some would say if you aren't using a spear or bow, well your just not hunting ect..... ad infinitum I guess.
So I guess we can agree to disagree with no hard feelings. By the way I am rather an old timer too and am suspicious of fast graphite fly rods, how can that be fly fishing, but I don't get worked up very much about it. I'm quite content to know I am right and they're obviously wrong.

old timer

Reaction score
OTimer, indeed I do fish with silk lines too. So use what you like and enjoy, but you keep trying to define a fly line for me and I see no real clear definition of what actually constitutes a fly line, other than a line that delivers a fly to the target. Some would say if your not using greenheart and horsehair well you just aren't fly fishing, but I am not one of those. Some would say if you aren't using a spear or bow, well your just not hunting ect..... ad infinitum I guess.
So I guess we can agree to disagree with no hard feelings. By the way I am rather an old timer too and am suspicious of fast graphite fly rods, how can that be fly fishing, but I don't get worked up very much about it. I'm quite content to know I am right and they're obviously wrong.
Yes, of course. However, let me add the way i'm thinking. A fly line delivers a fly to the fish. How far can you throw a size #18 dry fly? Not too far right? So, we need a fly line with some weight to it so we can get some distance. A mono line will get more distance than throwing it because the long rod used with mono line is helping get the distance. It's not ideal though and in some conditions, it would struggle to get any distance and would it be accurate?

Now take a heavily weighted euro fly (s) and throw it. You could probably throw it pretty far. Probably as far as you need to fish them. So, the flies need no help to be cast and the flies pull the line as much as the line casts them. You aren't doing a tight loop cast. That would tangle and be hard to do anyway. It's more of a lob that let's the flies pull the line.

If the definition of a fly line is to cast the flies. Is the mono line casting the flies or are the flies pulling the mono? Correct me if i'm wrong.

Now, this has nothing to do with me being biased. Who cares what I think of euro nymphing? This is about how it's defined. Can euro nymphing, traditional fishing with a fly rod, reel, and line, and Tenkara all be called fly fishing just because they all use some form of fly? Is fly fishing anyway that a fly can be fished including spin fishing with a bubble and fly? Where is the line drawn?

rsagebrush

Reaction score
OT- you keep defining fishing with mono as spin fishing, I spin fish but don't call it fly fishing because actually it really isn't. I don't use a bubble to cast flies but I guess one could define bubble fly fishing, after all the fisher is using a fly, no. I use conventional baitcasting rigs to fish plugs and softbaits when bass fishing sometimes, but I'm not really baitfishing, unless I use bait, I wonder why they call it baitfishing.
I believe the rod and line delivers a fly to the fish, along with a piece of mono or flour attached to the fly and line. I think in the case you describe you're leaving out several necessary items to deliver the fly. A fly line is a piece of line, silk, PVC, mono or flouro when it is used to deliver a fly, of course. How do you attach your fly to your fly line anyways, I assume a mono or flouro line, are you then spin fishing.
I fish both mono and flouro lines to deliver flies to a certain target, dry flies, wet flies, nymphs, beadheads etc. On the first three mentioned I don't think the fly is pulling the line at all, which I have already clarified for you previously. I also use fly lines a lot too, I have nothing against them at all, they are effective.
I mostly fish for trout and bass is creeks, streams and rivers, I don't really need to cast all that far to be effective, in fact I believe many fisher's would be much more productive is they used their feet rather than blasting out hero casts and ending up with no line control once that rope of a fly line touches moving current. But out from 25 to 30 feet I find a Mono or Flouro line much more pleasant to use and quite accurate, after that I consider a fly line, if it's windy maybe also a flyline, but the OP's question was MONO LINE RIGS was it not. You don't like them, do you fish them, you don't think it's fly fishing, have you ever tried them.

Last edited:

old timer

Reaction score
I agree that a mono/fluoro leader is needed to attach the fly to a fly line but that doesn't make it a mono line.

No, I never tried a mono line on a fly rod. I don't have to try some things to know they don't suit me. Kind of liking using a scope on a rifle to hunt.

I guess we can agree to disagree. I'm a cantankerous old goat set in his ways. Way too old to change now. As Popeye used to say.......I yam what I yam.

taylorreels

Trade Member
Reaction score
I use mono from time to time. I like the way it cuts through the water when trying to get deep fast. Plus it can make life simpler on windy days when drift is an issue. To me, fly fishing is about effectiveness. If there is a method that makes catching fish easier and more productive I’m good with it. Except Tenkara... thats blasphemous