Montana Anglers AIS Pass Required!

pab1

Reaction score
I just ran across this on FWP's site. A $2 Aquatic Invasive Species Pass is now required for all anglers. If you bought your license before May 19th it wasn't included but is required. Thought I would pass this on in case anyone missed it. Don't want anyone getting a fine since they couldn't have this in place in time for the 2017 license year. As they point out on their site "To be very clear: The new AIS prevention pass will be required for all anglers, including those who have purchased a license prior to May 19".

Here's a link.

Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks :: Don't forget your AIS prevention pass

Kyo

Reaction score
MT Anglers AIS Pass Required! - Mandatory Boat Inspections

We've also got several boat inspections sites opened up now throughout the state. All they're doing is looking for the traveling pests. Just a good reminder to clean your vessel between fishing locations. A truck hauling a boat was caught on the 27th and forced to return to the check point. Another boat moving from the Great Lakes to West Yellowstone was also flagged. Took them several days to clear that one of contamination.

On the $2.00 pass - just bring your license into any retailer (or FWP office)
that sells the licenses and they will re-issue another one for you and collect your dineros. Unless you're hitting a lake, a boat won't help you this week in South Central Montana unless you're game for the Horn. It's back down to 13,500 for those who are counting. -k-

dean_mt

Reaction score
Re: MT Anglers AIS Pass Required! - Mandatory Boat Inspections

I noticed this new fee when buying hunting licenses before the June 1 deadline for special tags. I don't have a problem with a small fee to pay for more boat check stations. But I can't imagine FWP wardens on the ground will be sticking it to anyone that bougth their license in March and hadn't hear about this yet.

pab1

Reaction score
I noticed this new fee when buying hunting licenses before the June 1 deadline for special tags. I don't have a problem with a small fee to pay for more boat check stations. But I can't imagine FWP wardens on the ground will be sticking it to anyone that bougth their license in March and hadn't hear about this yet.
I would hope they don't issue tickets for this. When I picked my AIS Pass up I was told they were issuing warnings to people who didn't have one. I wonder if there is a grace period for this. The only issue I have with it is that it was implemented after the license year began and they didn't contact people (e-mail, phone, letter) who had already purchased licenses to make them aware of the requirement. They contact hunters by phone every year after season for a hunting survey so they have the ability. The only reason I found out about it was that I went on their site to check stream flows and stumbled onto it.

mcbauer1961

Reaction score
So $15 for out of state AIS pass, So 3 of us in one boat would be $45 more. ($111 per person dollar license.) I am all fore checking AIS but that amount for Out of stater's seems excessive. When we went to the Horn in april there was not one checkpoint to be seen in Montana, Even in Ft Smith. I guess we will find out when we go in September.

dean_mt

Reaction score
It's not cheap, that's for sure. Whether it's right or fair or not it is standard for out of staters to pay more for hunting and fishing licenses everywhere. And with aquatic invasive species, if they don't come from somewhere else then they aren't here. Charging locals extra to have boats inspected inbetween local watersheds wouldn't fly here.

I just paid over $100 in hunting license fees. That's for three big game tags, plus some extras, so I don't think it's too much, but it ain't cheap! But it is Montana ... and you get what you pay for!

Kyo

Reaction score
I believe they're targeting vehicles coming from the source which has been the Great Lakes. So you might not see one near the Horn yet but you will on I 90. Hopefully they'll have all their stations functional very soon.

As for costs, I believe I pay twice as much for out of state fishing when I visited Wyoming. That other fish less state to the south. :welcomean
but I have not seen their 2017 rules yet.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Can't speak for now but when I lived in Ashland, OR (about 20 miles north of the California boarder) I could gurentee (coming or going) you were going to get pulled over and your boat inspected.

'Potty Stop,'talking to one of the Officer's asked if they found snails (what-ever) on many boats. His answer was a eye opener .... 'three or four a shift.'

Apparently these things just don't die even in 100+ degree weather.:eek:

mcbauer1961

Reaction score
To Revisit this topic,
I am taking my pontoon to the horn in a couple of days, Do I need to have it inspected? And I also will make sure I get my AIS pass. Just want to make sure cause if I pack it disassembled in the truck it will be hard to get to. Or just have it inspected at Ft Smith.

dean_mt

Reaction score
To Revisit this topic,
I am taking my pontoon to the horn in a couple of days, Do I need to have it inspected? And I also will make sure I get my AIS pass. Just want to make sure cause if I pack it disassembled in the truck it will be hard to get to. Or just have it inspected at Ft Smith.
If you see signs for an inspection station - stop.Odds are good that you'll hit an inspection station coming in from out of state, they are strategically placed and I'm sure the Big Horn is protected just due to the sheer volume of boats that go in every day. I'm not certain, but there may be a list of inspection sites online. At the least, you could call the FWP office in Billings and ask them if there is a station and explain your situation with the pontoon.

lightline

Reaction score
I've stopped at a couple of check stations going to/from the MO this year, and had my toon rolled up in the back of my truck. They had me open the tailgate and topper door, checked to make sure the boat was dry, the anchor and line were dry and clean, and quizzed me as to where I'd been and how I cleaned/drained/dried it out before putting it back in the truck. It was a quick, friendly, no-nonsense stop and check. They thanked me for stopping even though the boat was invisible and nobody would have known. We even discussed our thoughts about how many times people with "hidden" boats llikely passed by the check stations, to which they shrugged. I thanked them for doing the checks and went on my way. It was a 4-5 minute stop, to which we added 5 more minutes of shooting the bull. Nice stretch.

Just clean it and try to have it accessible, not covered with other "stuff." Stop and let 'em know we care.

Kyo

Reaction score
Not really a big deal for anglers like yourself or most of us
on this forum. I heard Wyoming had some check points of their own.
First week of July they were checking inbound boats at the
Visitor Center parking lot at Ft. Smith and again on I-90 at the Rest Stop
west of Hardin (in route to Billings). Dry CLEAN boat is the key
and if it's visible you definitely want to stop. They might
not see you but the highway patrol will. Thanks for asking
and have a great trip. -k-

darkshadow

Reaction score
Hopefully the vessel inspections don't turn out to be like the ones being done in Southern California for the Quagga mussel.

It seems the lakes that had draconian inspections now have the Quagga mussel present. In fact, a lot of anglers are now hoping that they shop in the last few bastions so that the ridiculous inspections go away and the agencies that be hope they had contingency plans when the Quagga takes over the piping.

I'll need to investigate cost for the AIS pass as an out of stage angler getting a short term license since I may need one in a couple of days.

EDIT: Looks like $50 for 2 days. Ouch.

Last edited: