Montrose CO - Things to do?

Crocwrestler

Reaction score
I'll be passing through Montrose with the family on the way to Crested Butte, and my plan is to stop for a bit so we can stretch our legs.

Is it worth stopping by both Scott and Ross while in town? Unsure what their HQ's are like and if it's worth a visit - ie. do they both have awesome gift shops where Centrics and Abels are all half price? Do they do factory tours?

I read elsewhere on the forum to grab a burger at Red Barn, but wondering if there are any other neat things to do for a couple of hours. Thanks for any guidance

el jefe

Reaction score
Call ahead to Scott and Ross. At least at Scott, you couldn't just show up and get a tour, you had to let them know you were coming. Abel is now in Montrose, too, I believe.

Crocwrestler

Reaction score
Thanks folks. I've booked a float trip on the Gunnison while in Crested Butte, so I will likely spare my family the boredom they would endure by stopping in at the various factories in Montrose. With young kids, horseback riding and mountain biking are far more entertaining than following dad into fly shops.

jpielock1992

Reaction score
I lived there the summer in 1976 ,it was a nice little west slope town. They deconstructed downtown to give it a cookie cutter look. Not much in Montrose now,"America's Town"! I miss "Bob's Dew Drop Inn! It's just an entrance to Telluride now!