Moratorium?

flytie09

Reaction score
Am I reading this correctly? Is a statewide moratorium on Winter Steelhead fishing in WA being considered?

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Those affected would hate me but I will always chose closure for protection of the species over economic concerns. These things don't arise just because someone studying the fisheries wants to harm the economy of fish guides. Floating rivers drifting bait or beads is one of the things I would never do.

dharkin

Reaction score
This is a great point;

"we really need to get to this ‘conservation first.’ We keep talking about conservation first; it’s only words until you take the hard, hard steps,” said Susewind. "

Nobody wants to hurt business, but without the fish, there is no business to be had!

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good!

Many of you know I own a boat but I do not fish from the boat.

Way harder to drift a bead 8 miles from shore. Worst day I had fishing in Oregon wasn't the whole day. It was only the 5 or 6 minutes that a 'Guide' backwatered a drift boat directly in front of where I was casting. This was done close enough that I couldn't cast, the Professional back watered that boat while his three clients flailed the water both sides of the boat with bead and bobber rigs. After one caught a small trout it seemed they were going to stay so I took the initiative. I announced calmly that I intended to wade to shore to rest my rod collect stones which I intended to begin throwing at them. Told that that wouldn't be smart I told the people in the boat that staying in my spot wouldn't be smart. I believe I offered some other comment about being pretty sure I could hurt at least two of them before they would get the better of me. The 'Guide' who bore a resemblance to Jabba The Hutt decided to move on.

I got my pulse back down and finished the day with 2 steelhead caught on a Wilkinson Sunray tube :)

fatbillybob

Reaction score
Not a steelheader so... If WA is prohibiting fishing from floating things does that put more pressure on other areas like Oregon or British Columbia who don't have that rule? In WA isn't a catch and release rule good enough to keep the stocks of fish up?

Bigfly

Reaction score
If the fish were gone...
There wouldn't be any business either.
Think of fish first!!!!

Jim