Moving from NYC to Chicago!

jjcm

Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendation! There seems to be only 2 fly shops in the Chicago. But I'll definitely pick it up when I go to MI for some fishing!
Chicago Fly Fishing Outfitters and the Naperville Fly Shop. CFFO is in the city and NFS is in the burbs. They are both great shops. CFFO is really well stocked and they seem to have good intel on the Great Lakes area.

I've only seen the TU booklets at Michigan fly shops. There are a bunch of booklets but most shops only carry a few and some none. Going into Michigan, make sure to go to Grayling, check out Gates and the Old Au Sable Fly Shop; they have up-to-date fishing reports and are helpful people. There isn't really a fly-fishing-for-trout town in Michigan that equals Grayling, in my opinion. The fishing culture can be seen driving down rods and seeing "flies for sale" signs along the rod. It is a nice place to be come trout season.

lookard

Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the info! Looking forward to hitting these places/streams once I'm settled down! Everything is up in the air now. Hopefully the wife finds a place she likes when she visits for work next week!

bonefish41

Reaction score
I have no experience Trout, Steel, Salmon..Wisconsin or Illinois. Since I've lived Indianapolis for my professional life of some 50 years( but youth to college NW Indiana which is essentially Chicago) I must travel for those fish and I travel essentially one state and one locale within that state namely Baldwin MI...opportunities abound there; as well as the rest of the state. As for northern Indiana creeks/streams...yes there's some Steel and Salmon but your stream/creek ambiance is that of a dirty water carp ditch but instead there are bobbers and spawn sacks instead of dough balls. BTW I have fished for carp with my home/made dough balls in that area/region...a while back in time.

jjcm

Reaction score
I'm from northwestern lower Michigan but have ended up in Chicagoland for this part of my professional life. There are not many steelhead and salmon locations anywhere in the world that compare to what is found there in Baldwin; especially the flies only water. I do have other beloved waters in that area, but the PM is definitely special. I am not going to knock urban fisheries, I have fished a few of them, but my obvious preference are those streams that run through nothing but forest. I have caught my largest (lake-run) brown trout to date out of a southeastern WI stream, swinging a fly in an urban setting.

The area is okay for fly fishing. Not as good as living on the bank of a trout stream, but MI or the Driftless is a couple hours away by car (flights are shorter) and there is a good warm-water species fishery too.

prj71

Reaction score
Hi! I also live near Chicago, actually a northern suburb. Viroqua is the Heart of the Driftless, and it's exactly 4 hours from my house. I'd argue that Highways 14 and 18 have some of the best fishing - I use both to get to The West Fork Kickapoo, Tainter, South Fork Bad Axe, Timber Coulee (Hwy 14) and Blue River, Green River, Castle Rock Creek, Big Springs Creek (Highway 18).

There is a little fishing for stocked brown in SE Wisconsin, like Bluff Creek, but it's a low-numbers thing. You need to get at least to Madison (Black Earth Creek, Gordon Creek, Germany Valley Branch, Mt Vernon Creek); those are just about 2 hours from my house.

And the Wisconsin DNR Trout Streams Maps site has them for every county, and some specific streams besides. It's a great resource.
So no policy on this forum against naming streams (hot spotting)?

prj71

Reaction score
You missed my point. Weiliwen hot spotted a bunch of streams in his post. Is that allowed on this forum?

bonefish41

Reaction score
My interpretation of hotspot is the spot on a stream, a locale, a phone GPS...not a named creek, river, or stream...not being able to merely name a body of water is absurd...I fish Pere Marquette, Baldwin, Little Manistee and their tributaries

weiliwen

Reaction score

I do not see this as hotspotting at all. These are just creek names, very very popular, and of course easily visible on the Wisconsin DOT trout stream maps..

prj71

Reaction score
My interpretation of hotspot is the spot on a stream, a locale, a phone GPS...not a named creek, river, or stream...not being able to merely name a body of water is absurd...I fish Pere Marquette, Baldwin, Little Manistee and their tributaries
That's a poor interpretation. I used to fish some of those streams he named in the post. Used to be void of fisherman until people started naming streams all over the internet and social media the past few years.

No need to name streams. Let people go out and explore on their own. No need to name them which then in turn creates more traffic on them. Fishermen who put in the time and effort and research (trial and error mostly) have vested interest in those streams and would prefer they not be pressured by naming them all over the internet for thousands to see.

sasquatch7

Reaction score
The best part of living in the Chitcago area is getting out of it . What a freekin nightmare . I worked construction there from South Chitcago to Waukegan and it's a total zoo . Smaller than NY but every bit if not more dangerous . DO NOT leave anything that you value in your car overnight . Stay off I-55 during rush hours . Do not live anywhere north of I-80 and east of I-55 . Thats all I got .

bonefish41

Reaction score
Wisconsin DOT doesn't publish trout stream maps.
Are you sure about your acronym perhaps W did a typo and meant DNR which does...this is not a high school English class...we oldsters are not keyboarders and btw so does Michigan

prj71

Reaction score
The best part of living in the Chitcago area is getting out of it . What a freekin nightmare .
True statement... That's why on any given weekend Wisconsin is full of Illinois plated cars. I like to refer to it as $hitcago.

prj71

Reaction score
Are you sure about your acronym perhaps W did a typo and meant DNR which does...this is not a high school English class...we oldsters are not keyboarders and btw so does Michigan
Lol...Department of Transportation and Department of Natural Resources. Yes...so easy to make a type-o. :rolleyes: