My new fishing buddy

KenBrown

Reaction score
Mr Blue Heron decided to look for some trout on the stream while I was fishing. Not the first time Ive seen one, but the closest one has been to me while on the stream. The 'close' pic, he was about 10 feet away across the stream.

heron3.jpg
heron1.jpg
heron2.jpg

dharkin

Reaction score
I find that they are very tolerant of humans if you move slowly. I like watching them stalk the shallows and "lock up" when they spot their prey.

KenBrown

Reaction score
Very cool birds. I guess he didn't find anything because he was there for like a minute then eventually flew off.

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
I worked one summer at the Lamar Fish Hatchery while a student at Penn State. In addition to trout, the hatchery had ponds where they raised bass for stocking. When it was time to stock, they would open the gates and draw down the pond all the small bass would end up in a low box called the kettle. Then the next morning the crew would net the fish and load them in the hatchery truck for stocking.

One time the lid on the kettle was accidentally left ajar. when they showed up the next morning and took the lid off the kettle, two Great Blue Herons came out. They were so stuffed with fingerling bass that they couldn’t fly. They staggered off like a couple of drunk college students after an all night binge. Those two birds pretty well wiped out that ponds crop of bass.

Don

JoJer

Reaction score
Long time ago I nymphed a short slot for awhile to no avail. A Blue Heron landed about 15' upstream of me, other side of the stream. I was amazed, and just froze to make the moment last. He looked at me, looked down at the water, caught and ate a fish, just that fast. I told him, "You seem to know what you're doing." Then I left him the crick.
In Michigan, on a guard deployment, I got a half day off to fish the stream that runs thru the base. It was high, chocolate milk water and I had little warm water experience then. I tossed some jigs and what not. Not catching and not minding: I was outside, on the water by myself. I sat against a stump to change flies and heard a bird land on the side of the stump. I heard him peck and knew it was a woodpecker. I turned eyes and neck right real slow and saw him work around behind me, heard him pecking and come around from my left 'til I could see him coming. A Pileated Woodpecker. Easily 15" tall. I got a good gander, he gave up on the stump and left me the perch.

silver creek

Reaction score
I was fishing a spring creek in Montana when I saw a large trout swimming in circles. I couldn't figure out what was going on and I had never seen any behavior like that before. So I waded over to the trout and it was about 18 inches long and had a hole in the top of its head.

I think a heron stabbed it in the brain but the trout was too big for the heron to eat.

jeep.ster

jeepster
Reaction score
Great pics. Lots of blue heron on the san juan. I love fishing with them. Watching them take fish. Watching a noob when they take off and head right at them 10 feet above the water.