My style tenkara rod

Bambooflyguy

Reaction score
Fresh out of the Hotrodz of Burien bamboo shop is my Frankenkara rod. It measures at 9’3” and is Wazao styled using three different pieces of bamboo, fiberglass tip and ferrule. It has a swelled mortised grip, wine cork butt section and black wraps. It’s finished with 7 coats of Tru Oil and 2 coats of Birchwood Casey’s gun stock wax. I made a few different length 5wt dry line sections. Only lawn cast so far due to the weather.....going to a local lake this Sunday. I also tied a half dozen tenkara flies!
FFBCE2E9-D9CB-4A12-B9CB-86F3E04DE759.jpegCE0A4CF8-8BC2-4F6D-B453-DC32B91F4A67.jpeg3D1E0124-3420-4248-AAA2-C8BE0D083CAB.jpeg88AC13BF-E8F0-4070-975A-A5C1207DE0AF.jpeg

LOC

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words! I know it’s far from traditional.....but so am I!
Having respect and honoring tradition is great..
Leaning on it so much it becomes a crutch is not.

You build and create your own rods.
You certainly honor the tradition. :)

Bambooflyguy

Reaction score
Well....the weather and fishing was great....the catching was a different story. I tried an 11’ section of a 3 wt line with a tenkara fly....nothing, then a yarn indicator with a bead head micro leech and zip. But it cast easily, but not enough rising fish to make it viable.....next time, different lake.....hopefully put a bend in it!

Last edited:

Bambooflyguy

Reaction score
Come on spring! I’m determined to catch something with this rod! Even if it means recently planted stockers.....anything that will put a bend in this stick!

patrick62

Reaction score
The guy who introduced me to fixed-line fishing created what I dubbed the Phunk Stick. It's a six foot spinning rod blank with a lone guide at the tip and a wooden handle. I initially attached a six foot piece of running line from a WF3 to it, and a two foot section of ordinary 2X nylon tippet with a tippet ring at the end, and I added tippet from there.

It took some fiddling but eventually got it to the point where I could deploy the Phunk Stick successfully in a variety of situations.

I didn't use it at all last year but this year I'm going to try it with heavy fluoro, #4 or whatever the heftiest is.

patrick62

Reaction score
^ I'm not sure where it is.

I did try it in the lake and it's too short for comfort. I also used it in the Housatonic. It was doable but not the ideal tool for the purpose.

patrick62

Reaction score
^ Yes, for largemouth primarily.

You want something sturdy that you won't weep over if things go awry. I suggest a 13-foot Maxcatch or one of those Goture carp rods.

I usually bring two long furled lines, 13-plus feet, one floater that I grease up, and one with a sink tip.

The big problem is bringing the bass to the net. An extra three feet of arm would help, but Amazon doesn't have any. So the stillwater fixed-line angler must either get good at hand lining or replace the phrase "the one that got away" with "compassionate release."

txwildcat

Reaction score
@Bambooflyguy are you fishing from the bank, boat, kayak, canoe? i agree that you should bring more rod than you think cuz you never know what your gonna catch. or keep the tippet sized accordingly so you dont break a rod.

what specific input are you looking for?

Bambooflyguy

Reaction score
So the weather really improved here in the PNW.....hitting a lake tomorrow with two bamboo rods and Frankenkara! This time of the year I fish chironomids under an indicator. This lake isn’t too deep so around 7’-9’ under the indicator works. I’m super determined to C&R some fish on this project rod!!! Report to follow......

Meuniere

Reaction score
I am beyond impressed. Since you already do custom work, you ought to start a small business (once you retire- soon?) that just makes these things and then people have to pay you whatever- say $100 (I have no idea what is right) for whatever you give them. No hand-holding, no consulting, no made-to-order in the usual sense. Somebody wants something, they give you some money, they take whatever you give them (Frankenkara or otherwise) and go out and get after it. I'm in for one if you go that route!

Bambooflyguy

Reaction score
YA-HOOOOO!! Today I devirginized the Frankenkara! 7 trout C&R’d with chironomids and a fiber indicator! The first was a 14” rainbow, several more and some nice sized cutts too! What a cluster trying to land them....broke one off as I use 2lb test, grabbing the line to hand line them in to net them is a challenge, but well worth it and tons of fun. Foggy but calm on the lake today....C&R’d another 9 with the Superfine by Hotrodz!