My Wife thinks I am getting worse as I get older...

green stick

Reaction score
Yorkshire UK a mile or so from the sea and my near
On the 25th of march , the close season is over and I can fish again , I haven't wet a line since the end of February and it seems like an eternity. My wife can't understand how a 62 year old bloke can get so bloody excited about fishing. I suppose I understand where she is coming from this year is my 49th season as a fly angler and every year that passes I get more like a two year old on Christmas Eve as the new season approaches . The other night I had all the fly reels out checking and cleaning , changing tippets , well you know all the usual stuff that fly anglers use the lounge carpet for. Anyway just thought I would share my excitement that on the 25th I will be on the river come hell or high water ..... Hope that your new season comes around soon to,,,,

Green Stick

rodneyshishido

Reaction score
Good for you. I gave up fly fishing when I moved back to Hawaii in the 80's. I took it up again and am so addicted. Bad part is I sure got sticker shock as I replaced all the equipment and tying materials.

ddb

Reaction score
Old thread or not, great title.

Anyone's wife think better or worse of them as they age?

Some cosmic issues here.

Do the things you did and thought while you were newly weds and continue to do and think, please or irritate her? Did she notice then and express an opinion? Did her opinion change? How does new behavior of yours draw a reaction from her.

Now flip perspectives with you as the observer/reactor.

No need for specific answers. Situations vary so much it would be pointless. But the exercise might stretch your awareness of how your relationship is developing.

Being married for 50+ years to a woman who was born a month apart on the same block, I cannot imagine the complex experiences of those of you with several past wives. Hell, I still can't figure her out.

Acheron

Reaction score
The older I get the more excited I am to do the things I do because I recognize that each day is one closer to not being able to.

Since the season doesn't close here, I feel like a kid at Christmas for each new hatch, climate/season, cool days in summer, warm days in winter, migrations, etc., heck, practically every trip! :D

On Monday all I can think about is where I'll go the next Saturday.

Last edited:

COTater

Reaction score
My wife laughs at me cause I get super excited for every trip. I toss and turn while trying to sleep, same for bow hunting. The anticipation of what the day may bring and the experience of it.

Yes - my wife says that I am definitely the mental equivalent of a 12 year old... :ROFLMAO:

To me its what keeps us all coming back.

dillon

Reaction score
My wife laughs at me cause I get super excited for every trip. I toss and turn while trying to sleep, same for bow hunting. The anticipation of what the day may bring and the experience of it.

Yes - my wife says that I am definitely the mental equivalent of a 12 year old... :ROFLMAO:

To me its what keeps us all coming back.
Maybe she’s jealous…