Mystery fly!

sugdenc3

Reaction score
I received this as a gift in one of those monthly box deals years ago. I've never used it partly because I have no idea what it is, or how to fish it. By it's shape I'd assume that it's suppose to dive slightly while stripping in. Any help identifying this and also how to fish it would be very appreciated.

Thank you,
Cody

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

WWKimba

Reaction score
First, I think you just named it! And second the only thing I can offer is to put it in the water!!

Kim

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Looks a lot like a Bob Popovics style "Siliclone Pop Lip" made with silicone over wool
As from this book by BobPop and Ed Jaworowski

1619451840242.png

sugdenc3

Reaction score
Interesting, I'll have to look more into that when I have more time. Thanks for the feedback and help!

Cody

flytie09

Reaction score
Looks like a Tribubble Bongo. Perhaps the tyer was a Star Wars fan? Perhaps one that liked the crappy prequels and Jar Jar Binks? God I hate that movie.

tribubble bongo.jpg

sugdenc3

Reaction score
Name = ??? but it looks like a realistic attempt at a Praying Mantis...y/n?
Maybe, I don't quite see it. How would you replicate that in the water? A mantis is a dominant species....

sugdenc3

Reaction score
If it helps, the body is made of a hard, molded plastic. And it seems that the "wings" have been either glued to it, or incorperated into it by melting the outside slightly. Still havent tried it, but I will let everyone know when I do, and if it gets any attention!

Cody

Sent from my hatch using Tapatalk

fr8dog

Reaction score
That lip looks like it would wiggle like the old Helin Flatfish or a Lazy Ike. Maybe a slow pull through shallow water? Chuck it out and let us know what it does.

sugdenc3

Reaction score
Will do! We've had A LOT of rain here recently so many places are flooded at the moment. I've been skeptical to try it, but all the support has me curious as to what it does. I'm a relative newby, so what do you think it I should fish it for? Someone said it's a praying mantis look, but I don't think I believe them. Maybe it'll work for bass?

WadeK in to Deep

Reaction score
I think I was given 1 of these in the 80's. I think it's somebodie's Diving Panfish Frog. Caught a few panfish, but nothing to write home about. It's supposed to dive like a crankbait, but mine usually just rolled over.