N. Georgia in Sep?

half fast

Reaction score
I'm planning to spend the week after Labor Day in McCaysville, GA (near Blue Ridge) and hope to get in a day or two of trout fishing. Any suggestions and advice will be appreciated as I will be new to fishing in that area.

Thanks!

wthorpe

Reaction score
I'm planning to spend the week after Labor Day in McCaysville, GA (near Blue Ridge) and hope to get in a day or two of trout fishing. Any suggestions and advice will be appreciated as I will be new to fishing in that area.

Thanks!
This is not quite primetime for N. Ga. fishing! It is "seasonably warm" -- both the weather and the water

half fast

Reaction score
This is not quite primetime for N. Ga. fishing! It is "seasonably warm" -- both the weather and the water

Unfortunately, this is the time I can get away from work. Besides, She Who Must Be Obeyed tells me that's when we're going, so I'll try to make the best of it.

When is prime time? October-ish?

wthorpe

Reaction score
Unfortunately, this is the time I can get away from work. Besides, She Who Must Be Obeyed tells me that's when we're going, so I'll try to make the best of it.

When is prime time? October-ish?
depends, but October to June is better than July -- August -- early Sept. But as you say, you go when you go! i am going to Chattooga watershed this week. Worst case it is a nice walk in the woods at 2500+' elevation, ending in standing in cold water for a couple hours hoping a fish likes the looks of an olive booger.

half fast

Reaction score
depends, but October to June is better than July -- August -- early Sept. But as you say, you go when you go! i am going to Chattooga watershed this week. Worst case it is a nice walk in the woods at 2500+' elevation, ending in standing in cold water for a couple hours hoping a fish likes the looks of an olive booger.

How did your Chattooga trip go?

wthorpe

Reaction score
sorry, but i just belatedly saw this: caught a few, one brookie and a few bows all on olive boogers in deep runs. Some stockers, one obviously wild or holdover rainbow.

half fast

Reaction score
Well, I tried the Toccoa this morning at Horseshoe Bend near McCaysville. Caught four trout in a couple of hours using a Copper John nymph. Not bad considering time of year and my first attempt. Two browns were tiny, maybe 6 inches. Two rainbows were about 10 and 12. Missed a lot more than I hooked. Fun morning. Fishing slacked off by 11:30 or so.