NE Kansas white bass and access to creeks

mudduck

Reaction score
Been in NE Kansas for a while now and I keep hearing about the white bass spawning runs. I usually pick them off at the local lake discharge outlets but I understand they like to cruise up the creeks and streams leading into the lakes.

How far do they usually make it up the creeks when they make the spawning run? Im having a difficult time finding any access to inlet creeks without a boat. I have a float tube but it is a bit butt clenching in creeks with not so clear water that have large pointy sticks everywhere.

I have found access to a creek off of the Kansas river and have nailed some quality carp and catfish during the summer. Do white bass that live in the Kaw run up the tributaries as well or just skip that part since they are already in moving water?

Besides google maps, is there another way to find access to creeks and streams that run into lakes? Any recommendations?

Flyfisher for men

Reaction score
Been in NE Kansas for a while now and I keep hearing about the white bass spawning runs. I usually pick them off at the local lake discharge outlets but I understand they like to cruise up the creeks and streams leading into the lakes.

How far do they usually make it up the creeks when they make the spawning run? Im having a difficult time finding any access to inlet creeks without a boat. I have a float tube but it is a bit butt clenching in creeks with not so clear water that have large pointy sticks everywhere.

I have found access to a creek off of the Kansas river and have nailed some quality carp and catfish during the summer. Do white bass that live in the Kaw run up the tributaries as well or just skip that part since they are already in moving water?

Besides google maps, is there another way to find access to creeks and streams that run into lakes? Any recommendations?
A good way to find access is the fishing atlas put out by the state. https://ksoutdoors.com/KDWPT-Info/Locations/Hunting-Fishing-Atlas/Fishing-Atlas. It will list public access points and also private bodies of water that the state leases public access on behalf of anglers. You can often find a copy of it at Wal-Mart, bait shops, etc. It's a good way to get access to farm ponds and small streams, but you'd want verify that you can use your float tube by by clicking on the link to see if the particular lease allows watercraft. Some don't. That info will also be listed in the hard copy.

You might try out Valley Falls, Kansas for a white bass run. It's on the Delaware River above Lake Perry, and there's public access there ( on the NE edge of the town itself, it's the remnant of an old dam). You can hike through the woods downstream as it's a public wildlife area. There's also some backroads access points through the wildlife area as well.

mudduck

Reaction score
You might try out Valley Falls, Kansas for a white bass run. It's on the Delaware River above Lake Perry, and there's public access there ( on the NE edge of the town itself, it's the remnant of an old dam). You can hike through the woods downstream as it's a public wildlife area. There's also some backroads access points through the wildlife area as well.
Oh wow, I was just there wishing I had brought my rod. You are talking about the boat ramp before the bridge right? While I was in that town I whipped out the google maps to find water and I found that boat ramp and an abandoned bridge on 162nd street. Is that wadeable water? The water at 162nd didnt look too inviting to wade but near the boat ramp looked kinda shallow with riffles about.

Thanks for the mention of the Delaware near Valley Falls. I can see some of the roads you are talking about on google maps.

Flyfisher for men

Reaction score
Oh wow, I was just there wishing I had brought my rod. You are talking about the boat ramp before the bridge right? While I was in that town I whipped out the google maps to find water and I found that boat ramp and an abandoned bridge on 162nd street. Is that wadeable water? The water at 162nd didnt look too inviting to wade but near the boat ramp looked kinda shallow with riffles about.

Thanks for the mention of the Delaware near Valley Falls. I can see some of the roads you are talking about on google maps.
I have not fished at that 162nd st. bridge, but looked at it passing through. At that time, their was flooding and a huge log jam.

Where I was fishing was just down from what google maps lists as the mill street/coal creek bridge. There's definitely a riffle there, just a stone's throw from that bridge, but I don't recall a boat ramp. My memory is fuzzy, though, because it was a few years ago.

I was fishing on the bank, so I don't know about wading. I'm guessing it would be mud bottom down from the riffle and you would sink in. However, I was having no problem casting from the bank.