Nebraska Trout Slam (Almost)

Reaction score
We had a family vacation up at Fort Robinson in the northwest corner of the state two weeks ago and I did pretty well on the trout. I wasn't planning on fishing that much, but things came together and I was able to complete 3/4 of the Nebraska Trout Slam. You need a brown, rainbow, cutthroat, and brook. The only one I didn't catch was a brook, but I did catch plenty of tiger trout to get four species in one trip which was neat. My dad taught me to fly fish while we were there also, but didn't have any luck using flies. I caught everything on Panther Martins. The creeks and rivers were pretty well grown over so it took some stealth and skill to cast where you wanted. I think early spring before regrowth would be the ticket on a fly rod up there.

okaloosa

Reaction score
nice trout, and I have always been a fan of panther martins BUT, ...you will see, in time, especially on highly pressured streams, and especially with large educated trout, if you are fly fishing you will out fish the spin fisherman who is using lures almost every time and have more fun and cause less damage to the trout ....

bushak

Reaction score
I've tried to fish those streams in the summer and they can definitely be frustrating. Fish it late fall, winter, or early spring before the grass grows and you'll have a more enjoyable experience.