Need Cress Bug Pattern

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
View attachment 21008

Here is what I wound up tying. I've got 6 of them sitting on my tying stand. Thanks again for the tips!
So that basically is the George Daniels pattern that Larry posted? Should work just fine although none of the flies I have used for this has been quite this sparkly (for lack of a better word). I would also want to carry either a fur or ostrich herl pattern that was a bit subdued as well.

But well done. I have ordered some of that Polar Chenille to try this pattern as well. How much weight did you use and what kind of resin or glue did you use on the back?

My personal practice is to mash the barb before tying, but everyone approaches that differently. I have to admit that part of my motivation is to make it easier to back hooks out of my anatomy on occasion.

Any tips from your tying that you can share for when I get around to tying some of these?

Now you need to introduce these to some trout.

Best wishes,

Don

ts47

Reaction score
So that basically is the George Daniels pattern that Larry posted? Should work just fine although none of the flies I have used for this has been quite this sparkly (for lack of a better word). I would also want to carry either a fur or ostrich herl pattern that was a bit subdued as well.

But well done. I have ordered some of that Polar Chenille to try this pattern as well. How much weight did you use and what kind of resin or glue did you use on the back?

My personal practice is to mash the barb before tying, but everyone approaches that differently. I have to admit that part of my motivation is to make it easier to back hooks out of my anatomy on occasion.

Any tips from your tying that you can share for when I get around to tying some of these?

Best wishes,

Don
Hi Don,

I plan to tie a few with the ostrich earl as well. I realized that I did not have the right color and just ordered some. So stay tuned... I will have more in a week or so when the supplies arrive in the mail.

For this fly, I basically followed the instructions on the video. I tied them in size 16 only, as you suggested, on a standard nymph hook. 7 wraps of .020 lead seemed to be the magic number. I ordered a few colors of the polar micro chenille. Scud Olive Grey seemed like the best color to me with just grey thread. The UV coat I have is Silvercreek's, which I like a lot! His Crystal Hard was too thick for me to use in a delicate application like this one and cost me the first fly. His Crystal Flex was thinner and seemed to do the trick. It applies with a brush though. In a delicate situation as this, a small applicator like the Loon UV Thin has might be easier if you have some. I didn't try using a toothpick. That might have worked as well. It just seemed too complicated dipping a toothpick while holding down the fibers. The video shows how to hold the fibers down while you work the UV into the top of the fly and then hit it with the UV light.

I have a trip planned to fish some PA waters in May that will certainly include these flies. There are a few places around me in MD that may see these sow bugs before that.

And thanks for the compliment!

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
Hi Don,

I plan to tie a few with the ostrich earl as well. I realized that I did not have the right color and just ordered some. So stay tuned... I will have more in a week or so when the supplies arrive in the mail.

For this fly, I basically followed the instructions on the video. I tied them in size 16 only, as you suggested, on a standard nymph hook. 7 wraps of .020 lead seemed to be the magic number. I ordered a few colors of the polar micro chenille. Scud Olive Grey seemed like the best color to me with just grey thread. The UV coat I have is Silvercreek's, which I like a lot! His Crystal Hard was too thick for me to use in a delicate application like this one and cost me the first fly. His Crystal Flex was thinner and seemed to do the trick. It applies with a brush though. In a delicate situation as this, a small applicator like the Loon UV Thin has might be easier if you have some. I didn't try using a toothpick. That might have worked as well. It just seemed too complicated dipping a toothpick while holding down the fibers. The video shows how to hold the fibers down while you work the UV into the top of the fly and then hit it with the UV light.

I have a trip planned to fish some PA waters in May that will certainly include these flies. There are a few places around me in MD that may see these sow bugs before that.

And thanks for the compliment!
Thanks for the follow up info. I have still not ventured into the world of resins, but I have all of the info from Silver Creek and i need to break down and actually do that before I tie any of these bugs. I ordered both the light gray olive and dark gray olive in that Polar Chenille. I was tempted to get something more colorful considering the success pink sow bug patterns have had on the Big Horn. Maybe later.

I never fished any Maryland streams, but fished all around State College while going to school. I also worked one summer at the Lamar Fish Hatchery which is on Big Fishing Creek. Lots of Cress Bugs in Big Fishing, Penn’s Creek and Spring Creek. I seldom fished those flies until May or so,although they are probably active year round.

I would think the slightly warmer climate in Maryland would allow earlier fishing than in PA, but there probably isn’t that much difference.

Again, good job on those bugs.

Best wishes,

Don

ts47

Reaction score
Thanks for the follow up info. I have still not ventured into the world of resins, but I have all of the info from Silver Creek and i need to break down and actually do that before I tie any of these bugs. I ordered both the light gray olive and dark gray olive in that Polar Chenille. I was tempted to get something more colorful considering the success pink sow bug patterns have had on the Big Horn. Maybe later.

I never fished any Maryland streams, but fished all around State College while going to school. I also worked one summer at the Lamar Fish Hatchery which is on Big Fishing Creek. Lots of Cress Bugs in Big Fishing, Penn’s Creek and Spring Creek. I seldom fished those flies until May or so,although they are probably active year round.

I would think the slightly warmer climate in Maryland would allow earlier fishing than in PA, but there probably isn’t that much difference.

Best wishes,

Don
Thanks Don,

I took heed of some of your earlier comments and also got pink chenille when the first order was placed. I plan to tie up a few of the pink and give them a try too. Given the colors you mentioned, you are purchasing a different brand than I used.

My guide trip to State College is set for the end of May. I'm not sure if there is a cress bug/sow bug season. It does get a little warmer here a little faster than State College. Still, I've got all winter to practice tying. These bugs will be great to have in my box.

Thanks again for all the help!

ts47

Reaction score

Best wishes,

Don
Hi Don,

Silvercreek posted this video for using the UV resin in tight places. I thought the method shown would be helpful in neatly working small amounts of resin in on top of that nymph. I plan to try it myself. It looks much easier than what I was doing. I used his Flex resin. It's hard not to get some resin on the strips of chenille that stick out from the nymph. The Hard version left those strips feeling sharp and pokey - unnatural. The Flex version left things feeling much softer, flexible and less likely to poke a trout in the mouth.

Hope this helps!

YouTube

ts47

Reaction score

Best wishes,

Don
BTW... Thanks for suggesting I tie a few of these in pink. That color was the ticket last Friday and helped me catch several rainbows in some tailwaters I like to fish! It was hot out, but water was a cool 57 degrees.

flytyer53

Reaction score
ts47,

I see you got three pages of replies. I'm certain that answered your original question.

With that said, I scanned them to see if anyone provided you the YouTube video on Joe Humphrey's Sow (Cress) bug pattern. In the remote chance they didn't, here it is:

I haven't had a chance to try it yet but if it has a Joe Humphreys label on it, I'm willing to tie it and try it.

Best of luck.

ts47

Reaction score
ts47,

I see you got three pages of replies. I'm certain that answered your original question.

With that said, I scanned them to see if anyone provided you the YouTube video on Joe Humphrey's Sow (Cress) bug pattern. In the remote chance they didn't, here it is:

I haven't had a chance to try it yet but if it has a Joe Humphreys label on it, I'm willing to tie it and try it.

Best of luck.
Thanks flytyer53!