Need help knowing what I have

Krizzy

Reaction score
Hello, I have two fly rods that were my dads and I am curious as to what they might be worth. I want to find them a good home where they will be loved as much as they were by him. I am attaching a few pictures. One is a Scott Fly Rod, I think it might be a custom build. The other is a Nicolas Whipp. Any information and help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

Lewis Chessman

Reaction score
Hi, Krizzy, welcome to the forum.
You'll find a little info about Nicholas Whipp's rods in the links below. He was a small-scale, quality custom rod builder from Wales in the 1990.
See Post #7
Original Whipp advert.
I'm sure you've gathered from the writing on the rod that you have an 8 ft #4 weight fly rod, typically used for trout on streams and smaller rivers.

His rods occasionally appear on eBayUK but don't seem to fetch much - from as little as £10.50 to £50 in the UK.
Compared to modern rods yours may be a little heavy but at 8 ft that should barely be noticeable. I'm sure it's a fine rod and probably not cheap when your father purchased it. In my opinion its true worth is far greater than its market value. You could try selling on eBay with a starting price around $30 and hope for more but its not a name which garners much interest these days, sad to say.
If you've the slightest interest in fly fishing than hang on to it and use it yourself. It'll be a perfectly good rod and you may enjoy the connection to your father through it. If not and you don't want to sell it for little money to a stranger perhaps pass it on to a youngster. You might enrich their life enormously if you do.

All the best,
Lewis.

Krizzy

Reaction score
Excellent information and excellent advice, I think I will take it and hold onto it, you never know. For our retirement (we are in our 40's now) we plan on doing the Class A motor home and touring the country. It will be some years away but I bet I'll be happy to have it if we ever have the opportunity to wet a line. Thank you so much, maybe I needed to hear this more than what it's worth monetarily. THANK YOU!!

old timer

Reaction score
Google Scott STS and you should get the info you need on it. I'm sure it's not a high end rod.

triggw

Reaction score
Google Scott STS and you should get the info you need on it. I'm sure it's not a high end rod.
Scott STS (originally Scott Tactical Series) was a mid-priced rod. I think they sold for $300 - $350 back in the mid 90s (which wasn't cheap back then). They were a fast action rod. I had a 6 wt STS that was a cannon, but not necessarily a good all rounder. (The five could be better.) I sold it a few years back for $125 or $150.

Krizzy

Reaction score
Got some good information: Reply from Scott Fly Rod Company,

Hi Amber
He had the STS 9ft 5wt 4pc rod and the serial number is the 125145. The STS was built from 1995 to 2008 and retailed for $400.00 to $450.00 when it was in production.
If you need anything else let us know.
Thank you

Thank you forum for all of your responses!!