Never buying Costa sunglasses again

Lamarsh

Reaction score
I bought my first pair of Costa sunglasses 2 months ago, never wore them, and had them stored in my glove compartment but went to take them out the other day to fish and the lenses were shattered. Only thing I can think of is there was some defect and they shattered in the single digit temps we experienced a few weeks ago, because there was absolutely NO damage whatsoever to the frames or case. The case they give you is pretty solid, and there is no evidence whatsoever they were crushed (and I have had them in my glove compartment since I bought them).

You can't even get a person on the phone at Costa for warranty customer service. It's all online by submitting a form and photos. I submitted it and explained the situation, and pointed out and showed photos that there is no damage to the case or frames. They denied the warranty, and only offered to repair them for $75.

I think for sunglasses that cost this much, you should get in person customer service that is better than this, and under these circumstances customers should get the benefit of the doubt.

boisker

Reaction score
I bought my first pair of Costa sunglasses 2 months ago, never wore them, and had them stored in my glove compartment but went to take them out the other day to fish and the lenses were shattered. Only thing I can think of is there was some defect and they shattered in the single digit temps we experienced a few weeks ago, because there was absolutely NO damage whatsoever to the frames or case. The case they give you is pretty solid, and there is no evidence whatsoever they were crushed (and I have had them in my glove compartment since I bought them).

You can't even get a person on the phone at Costa for warranty customer service. It's all online by submitting a form and photos. I submitted it and explained the situation, and pointed out and showed photos that there is no damage to the case or frames. They denied the warranty, and only offered to repair them for $75.

I think for sunglasses that cost this much, you should get in person customer service that is better than this, and under these circumstances customers should get the benefit of the doubt.
Frustrating for you, and I am not doubting what you say... but it would cost them a fortune, everyone would be claiming ‘their glasses just shattered’ through no fault of their own...

LePetomane

Reaction score
I have used Maui Jim prescription sunglasses for years and have been very happy with their customer service because I have not needed it.

ggriffi

Reaction score
I have used Maui Jim prescription sunglasses for years and have been very happy with their customer service because I have not needed it.
I was just talking about this today with my father, 8 years ago, I bought a pair of prescription Bolle Pythons. Now the rubber nose pieces are long gone but they still fit fine and I have not used customer service either.

silver creek

Reaction score
I have both Maui Jims and Costas.

My first pair of Maui Jims was replaced on warranty many, many years ago. I think they changed their warranty since then. My lenses pitted when I was in a sand storm and I had to wear my MJ's for eye protection. I send the glasses in and got a replacement at no charge.

bonefish41

Reaction score

Which glass lenses were they...400 or 580??

scrapiron

Reaction score
I've had prescription Maui Jim (lost a pair overboard!) and Costa. Maui Jim customer service is awesome. As far as quality, the Maui Jim might be a little better. The Costa lenses were done locally, so there's that. I've been to the Maui Jim production facility and they take lenses seriously.

Can't say anything negative about either. Weird about OP's lenses- I would hope for better customer service though.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I too use both Smith and Costa, both excellent quality, advanced technology, glass lenses and decent, durable frames. To the best of my awareness, bitter temps will not shatter glass lenses (or plastic, god forbid, ones either). I did have my glass water bottle in the car freeze and shatter but it had expandable water in it (dumb me).

Lamarsh

Reaction score
Frustrating for you, and I am not doubting what you say... but it would cost them a fortune, everyone would be claiming ‘their glasses just shattered’ through no fault of their own...
In fairness, I agree to an extent. But I showed them the case and lenses were in mint condition and had no evidence of abuse. But I get what you're saying. I suppose they may not have had proof to rule out something like a big streamer hit them.... but both lenses shattered, so I don't see how that could happen. A lot of my frustration here is the lack of ability to even speak with somebody. And it has taken quite a while to get responses. IMO, just too much lack of customer service for what these glasses cost. If they were $100/pair, it'd be a different story.

My Costas have hung on my rear view mirror for several years and have spent many nights in single digits temps and below. I’ve never had a problem.
I too use both Smith and Costa, both excellent quality, advanced technology, glass lenses and decent, durable frames. To the best of my awareness, bitter temps will not shatter glass lenses (or plastic, god forbid, ones either). I did have my glass water bottle in the car freeze and shatter but it had expandable water in it (dumb me).
+

I wouldn't think bitter temps would shatter lenses either, unless there was a defect. And I can't think of another possible scenario they could break while they were in their case in a glove compartment, and there was zero evidence of impact or damage to the case or frames.

I have both Maui Jims and Costas.

My first pair of Maui Jims was replaced on warranty many, many years ago. I think they changed their warranty since then. My lenses pitted when I was in a sand storm and I had to wear my MJ's for eye protection. I send the glasses in and got a replacement at no charge.
I've had prescription Maui Jim (lost a pair overboard!) and Costa. Maui Jim customer service is awesome. As far as quality, the Maui Jim might be a little better. The Costa lenses were done locally, so there's that. I've been to the Maui Jim production facility and they take lenses seriously.

Can't say anything negative about either. Weird about OP's lenses- I would hope for better customer service though.
From what I looked into, Maui Jim is currently the only other high quality lens maker that is making yellow polarized lenses at the moment. I don't see any new Smiths like that anymore. I'll be going with Maui Jim from now on. I hear they have great customer service.

Which glass lenses were they...400 or 580??

Have used Smith prescription sunglasses for years. Excellent service. Only had one pair lose temple spring tension.....sent back and repaired in couple weeks....good warranty.
I've owned several pairs of Smiths and they're awesome. I've never had to make warranty claims on any of my glasses, but my brother has made a few with Smith and had ZERO issues and said they were great.

karstopo

Reaction score
Didn’t Costa change hands fairly recently? Got bought out by some big group?
Here’s a link with something on that.

I love my 580g Rx lenses, the frames I believe are Monel and have well resisted corrosion in heavy saltwater use. The removeable polymer ear pieces have mostly disintegrated, but my glasses are coming up on 10 years old. My fishing shirts have all disintegrated over the same time period. I think I too am slowly disintegrating!

Wonder what mechanism caused your lenses to shatter? The frame perhaps contracting in extra cold temperatures like so many materials do and then exerting enough pressure on the lenses to cause the breakage?

Covid isn’t necessarily an excuse, but I’m not sure that customer service hasn’t deteriorated at a number of places since the virus became widespread. Staffing gets trickier for sure.

High Quality polarized and filtered glass sunglasses like the Costa 580g lenses are one thing I think is worth the extra expense, there’s value in putting down the extra money over the cheapo options available. I rate good quality sunglasses in the value for money spent deal well over that same equation for expensive fly rods versus moderately priced ones. Seeing fish and fish sign and fish structure is hugely important to any potential connecting with fish where I fish. Better lenses, better vision, more fish seen, more shots at fish is how it goes, Ymmv.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Like Karstopo, I regard my Rx glass lensed shades as core, top priority tackle. My Costa's are cooper, my Smiths amber and I've been considering the Sunrise...I suppose this is Luxottica now, about as dominant a name in eyewear as exists.

boisker

Reaction score
From what I looked into, Maui Jim is currently the only other high quality lens maker that is making yellow polarized lenses at the moment. I don't see any new Smiths like that anymore. I'll be going with Maui Jim from now on. I hear they have great customer service.
what about the smith low light Ignitor lens, their techlite glass?

i use these about 75% of the time, the only time I don’t is on very bright days

Lamarsh

Reaction score
Sounds like someone may have slammed your glove box shut and compromised them. I do not wear costas any longer but have been well below zero a lot with nary a shattering.
I can't imagine that would be possible since it was the only thing in a fairly large glove box, stashed well within the box to avoid that, plus nobody has been in my glove box. I had a pair of Smiths and Ray Bans in the truck at the same time, and those didn't shatter, nor would I expect them to. I wouldn't ever think Costas should or would shatter in cold weather unless there was some defect.

Lamarsh

Reaction score
what about the smith low light Ignitor lens, their techlite glass?
That is essentially the lens I have on Smiths the Costas replaced. I still have them, they're just slightly scratched and I don't love the style, so my intent was for them to be my new backups (currently they're still my main low lights, due to the Costas shattering). The Smiths are great lenses, and have worked awesome for me, I just didn't love the styles Smith was currently offering, so I went with Costa. Unfortunately, it's cheaper for me to take Costa up on the $75 repair to these new ones than it is to just switch and now buy the new Smiths. But in hindsight, I wish I got the Smiths, and going forward I'll be steering clear of Costa. I will admit, however, that aside from the crummy customer service situation, these new Costas I got appear to be very nice glasses. Too bad I never got a chance to actually fish with them. I'm sure once I get them fixed they'll be fine and will serve me well. Just not dropping high dollar in the future on nice glasses that don't provide better customer service.